Please I need help with Diesel

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
So few days ago I posted about his back being full of sores. You guys told me it's allergies and I should change his food a little. I have been reading about and I thought it was the beef as he was on chicken before and he was fine. I switched him to beef when I got him because this is what all of mine where eating.
Yesterday I was cleaning him and he had this nasty smell on him. His breath is getting worse and worse. Then I cleaned his paws and I saw it! All red and full of yeast!!! So my poor guy has an yeast infection. We are going to the vet tomorrow to get meds . I was up till 1am and was reading how to get rid of the yeast and baths with ACV etc. and I was trying to see what the heck causes it. And then it was like a light bulb!! I feed him beef and potatoes grain free food. It's not the beef , it's the potato!!!!!
So I now I have to find him new food. I am trying to read all of the posts on here and internet and I am lost , also is so hard because my laptop just broke and I only have my phone right now. So with this said I need suggestions.
Most of you say to go grain free. Is rice bad for them? I can not feed chicken as my boxer is allergic to it , so can I just do rice with turkey or other protein? To cut off the potato? But then rice is a carb as well which is not good for they yeast, am I correct? However he was on chicken and rice before and he was doing great ( according to the last owner) . She was feeding him eukanuba ( not a fan of it at all). Should I just put him on that till his skin gets better?
I can not afford Fromm :( , any other suggestions what else I could get him? I am so lost and I feel so bad that I didn't cut that sooner!!!

This is after I cleaned his paws with witch hazel
qevasupa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That would be yeast....There are other foods you can try that may not be as expensive, Earthborn or Tast of the Wild might be a choice, they have grain free option.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
If you are getting any testing done, it would be interesting to see what comes back for grass allergies as well. Does he roll in the grass???
I feed Bocephus and also fed Rampage the Nude Food from "I and Love and You". Here are the ingredients for the Fish protein based one:
Ingredients:
Cod, herring fish meal, lentils, garbanzo beans, menhaden fish meal, sweet potato, canola oil (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried beet pulp, natural flavor, blueberries, apple, spinach, tomato, carrot, olive oil, brewers dried yeast, new zealand green mussel, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, chia seed, inulin, salt, choline chloride, turmeric, iron amino acid chelate, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, zinc amino acid chelate, ferrous sulfate, niacin supplement, manganese amino acid chelate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, manganous oxide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, calcium iodate, folic acid, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium thermophilum fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Aspergillus niger, dried Trichoderma reesei, yucca schidigera extract, rosemary extract

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Poor Diesel. Also try cleaning him with plain vinegar. ACV has sugar. hope he gets better soon. i noticed you're under alot of stress lately.

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
He doesn't in grass , he just goes potty in and comes back. He lays on the patio most of the time.

I didn't think of ACV having sugar in it!! Thanks! So should I just use some white vinegar???

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Poor Diesel. Also try cleaning him with plain vinegar. ACV has sugar. hope he gets better soon. i noticed you're under alot of stress lately.

It's not so much stress just totally busy with the kids being out of school already. Just busy busy busy all the time !!! I just wish Diesel would not have so many problems. It's always something with him

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Poor Diesel. Hopefully the vinegar will give him some relief. I know how miserable they get when they're itchy

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If he was doing well on the other food the previous owner had him on, then try a small bag of it and see how he does. It's not the best, but if it agrees with him, then that's the one to stay with.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I'm not sure how much it is because they ALWAYS have specials but California Naturals Kangaroo and Lentil has worked miracles on my Truman's yeast problems! It might be worth a try!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi you've already gotten great advice and suggestions. Fromm's is only one example of a grain free high quality food, others are Wellness, Orijen, Blue Buffalo, Go Natural, and Arcana. Look for a limited ingredient food that is grain free, potato free, and corn and filler free, and then choose a source of protein that he tolerates. Use the vinegar on his paws, and also as a final rinse after his bath. Do you add ACV to his drinking water? Also adding plain unsweetened yogurt to his kibble will give him probiotics which help fight allergy symptoms by boosting the immune system. I hope you find a food he tolerates, and he feels better soon.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If he was doing well on the other food the previous owner had him on, then try a small bag of it and see how he does. It's not the best, but if it agrees with him, then that's the one to stay with.

This is a great piece of advice, exactly what I would do.

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
You could also try using Epsom salts to soak his paws in.

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Update:
I did not go to diesels vet today as I had an apt with my cats vet ( they use different vets) so I just took diesel with me. He did not give him anything other then ketoconazole pills and said to give him bath in ketoconazole shampoo and wipe his feed with ketoconazole wipes.
I went and bought euukanuba dog food ( the one he was before on at his old owner) and I also got ACV and put it in his drink.
However I am very surprised that he did not give him any antibiotics !!! Should I try what the vet told me to do or just being him his vet?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Does he still have yeast infaction? You should stop using ACV as ACV has sugar in it. Yeast feed on sugar. It really wouldnt help. Hope he feels better soon.

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
The vet said yes. So that's why he put him on ketoconazole . He also said he might have a little staph infection on his Chin and I should use Benzoil peroxide. I am so confused. I asked him if he wanted to give him any antibiotics and he said no, to try the ketoconazole pills first and if he doesn't get better in two weeks to come back.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online