What's causing my puppy to have very loose stool?

gabrielsbulldogs

Oct 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
oX,RIP Monroe, and Tonka
I've been feeding Tonka NVI for 2 months and she's been great but these couple of days her stool has been very loose. Same diet but have added sliced apples as treats recently. I also caught her licking her poop 😝. She's 16 weeks and I feed her 3/4 of kibble twice a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Knock out the apples and see if she feels better

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Phil, eliminate the apples and see if it changes her poops. If not then it may be the food, I not familiar with the NVI brand. What is its source of protein? Does it have chicken as its base, and does it have any fillers like corn, potato, or grains? A lot of bullies are allergic or sensitive to these things. I have a female EB, named Blossom who is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, and we switched her to Fromm's Beef Frittata. It took 4 food switches before we found a food that she tolerated. Try adding 1 Tbsp of plain yogurt to her kibble, as the probiotics will help with digestion, and boosts the Immune system, so helps with allergy symptoms. I hope you find the cause of her loose stools and she feels better soon.

OP
gabrielsbulldogs

gabrielsbulldogs

Oct 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
oX,RIP Monroe, and Tonka
Thanks 😀. I feed her natures variety instinct grain/potato free(chicken formula)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It could very well be the chicken causing the loose stools. Try another protein like beef or lamb, and see if she improves. You want to do a slow transition when switching foods, and it can take up to a month before you see any changes or benefits of a food change, as it can take this long for the old food to leave her system.

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
I had the same issues with my two bullies. We were feeding them beef and rice diamond naturals. We changed over to Fromm chicken and veggies and same thing. Not wanted to shy away from a good brand I stayed with Fromm but tried the pork and applesauce and with in a day or two they were back to solid. This was after about a year on Diamond Naturals, so they can be fine for a while and need to change as they grow older.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Best of luck at least you got great advice, sure it will change back to proper stools and you have a great forum for any up coming issues. I give Chance carrots to chew helps with teething, less runny poops but mostly orange in color.

OP
gabrielsbulldogs

gabrielsbulldogs

Oct 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
oX,RIP Monroe, and Tonka
Thanks everyone 😃

Most Reactions