Worried About Doggie Boarding

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Hi all! I'm going to Europe for 2.5 weeks (woohoo) and while I should be excited, I am dying at the thought of leaving my precious Matilda! She usually just travels with me, but unfortunately, not out of the country.

I've left her before on long trips and she loooooves doggie boarding camp and always does really well. She is the pup who rushes through the door and doesn't say goodbye and has to be dragged out when we pick her up! But we moved, so this is going to be a new camp. It's a very nice place, her vet approves, clean, small, great reviews, and they adore her. She's been there for daycare before and had a blast. I also made sure that my vet is authorized to do whatever is necessary, should Matilda have to go in for anything.

And yet, here I am, absolutely anxiety ridden because I cannot stand leaving her for ANY time, much less over two weeks! I am going for a wedding and since I've never been to Europe, we're taking some time to explore a few other places. But I still kinda want to cancel to just sit at home with my dog - haha!

How can some people leave their pets for a trip without anxiety? Do you worry every time you leave your pet - even if you know he/she will be perfectly safe? How can I leave without feeling so awful?

It just seems so silly, considering she has no anxiety and loves to play with other doggies at camp! She always does fine, I'M the one who is a mess!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just remember how ecstatic she'll be when you get back!! Butt wiggles galore! I hope you have a great safe time. ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I totally understand and agree.... I leave pages of instructions for my sister whenever we had to leave the pups. She will be fine and be beyond d happy to see you when you return. Have a safe and wonderful trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Holly, it's very normal for you to feel anxious and nervous about leaving your baby. You are lucky though that you have had good experiences when leaving her, you know that she's in a good and safe place, and that she likes it there and she's happy and well taken care of. Imagine if you weren't familiar with this place how you would worry. Also your vet is familiar with the daycare and approves, so it must be a good place. You also can rest easy that if something should happen you have given your vet permission to treat her, so she will be fine. I know how you feel though, I had to board both my guys last year for a week, when we went to Jamaica, and I felt the same as you, but when I came back, they had been spoiled, were taken care of, and were happy and clean. It's not very often you have a chance to go to Europe and see other places as well, so take advantage of this opportunity and enjoy yourself. Two weeks will go by quickly and you'll be home before you know it, and Matilda will be so happy to see her mommy when you get back. You have no reason to feel guilty, you have made all the arrangements for her to be well taken care of while you're gone. She will be in good hands and will probably be spoiled and will have fun.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have so been there honey… Matilda will be FINE!!! She will be so excited to see all her doggie friends, and I used to live in Germany… you will have a BLAST in Europe. Enjoy every single minute of it ;)

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Thanks guys, it really helps to hear that you all go through it, too! I feel crazy. It's nice to be reassured that I've done everything possible to make sure she's safe. I've called the camp way too many times, every time I think of a new question! I just would so rather be at home with her! :*(

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Thanks guys, it really helps to hear that you all go through it, too! I feel crazy. It's nice to be reassured that I've done everything possible to make sure she's safe. I've called the camp way too many times, every time I think of a new question! I just would so rather be at home with her! :*(
Not crazy at all!! I skype with Bocephus every time I have to be away. I just miss him so much. It makes me feel better that he is having fun. I wonder if they can do that for you? That way you will know your sweet baby is playing and enjoying herself so you can do the same.
if they can't skype, maybe they can send videos each day?????

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
I feel your pain! I'm in the same boat! I'm also Europe in the summer and leaving Bosco for 17 days .. I haven't left him for more than a week since I got him. Eek :( So torn between being excited for europe and worried for Bosco..

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I have anxiety from the day I book to go away until the day I get back home why I do it I don't know but Ftse always gives me such a big welcome home and he doesn't seem to suffer with me away. Europe us lovely go and have a good time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions