Kevin is at the vet having his Histiocytoma removed..

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Great news! Maybe you can sneak in a kiss from us?

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Here is a picture of the repair job...

kevin-stiches.jpg

Who knew a size 5T toddler t-shirt was the perfect size for a 7 month old bulldog.. (here he is with his stuffed bear wondering why we aren't going for our daily walk)
kevin-redshirt.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh I'm so happy to hear this... Give Kevin hugs & kisses from his EBN family!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Who knew a size 5T toddler t-shirt was the perfect size for a 7 month old bulldog.. (here he is with his stuffed bear wondering why we aren't going for our daily walk)
kevin-redshirt.jpg

So happy it all went well... hugs to the big boy! love the shirt too!

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hard at work recovering...

kevin-sleep3.jpg

Wife sent me this picture this morning... not sure whats worse is that he's normally not allowed on the bed.. or that its my side of the bed!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Awe Kevin-recover quickly. You know,Kevin-that Used to be your Dad's side of the bed.:evil::p

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Awe what a sweet picture!!! You will have to forgive him this time, he just missed you and your smell and needed to rest up.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Awe he's so cute!!! How big did the hystiocytoma get? That is a big incision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Awe he's so cute!!! How big did the hystiocytoma get? That is a big incision!

It wasn't very big.. maybe the size of a U.S. nickel.. The vet drew us a picture of how the incision would look. He had to start maybe 1/2" above the spot and end 1/2" below it (cutting around the hystiocytoma on both sides)..

Since Kevin is all skin-and-bones... i was worried there wouldn't be enough skin to pinch together for the suture.. but some how he was able to do it :) (The vet didn't laugh at that joke either...:D )

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It wasn't very big.. maybe the size of a U.S. nickel.. The vet drew us a picture of how the incision would look. He had to start maybe 1/2" above the spot and end 1/2" below it (cutting around the hystiocytoma on both sides)..

Since Kevin is all skin-and-bones... i was worried there wouldn't be enough skin to pinch together for the suture.. but some how he was able to do it :) (The vet didn't laugh at that joke either...:D )

Lol!!! Yeah I'm sure he had enough and them some!!

Curious as to why the vet wanted to remove it? I was under the impression that after a few months they go away on their own? Although it was in an awkward spot, I usually have only seem them on the legs or the head in bulldogs here on EBN.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hard at work recovering...

kevin-sleep3.jpg

Wife sent me this picture this morning... not sure whats worse is that he's normally not allowed on the bed.. or that its my side of the bed!

That's a great shot! I'm happy he's home.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
So happy it all went well... hugs to the big boy! love the shirt too!
I love the shirt too, the bear looks like he's sniffing his "tail" haha

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Curious as to why the vet wanted to remove it? I was under the impression that after a few months they go away on their own? Although it was in an awkward spot, I usually have only seem them on the legs or the head in bulldogs here on EBN.

They normally go away in 2-3 months...

We had it removed for 2 reasons:
1) Once Kevin started scratching at it, things got a bit bloody (we'd wake up and his entire side would be covered in blood). Other then hogtying him we couldn't get him to stop kicking it with his back leg (for a chubby little guy he's very limber). The Histiocytoma didn't bother him.. it was the scab/sores that he caused once he made it start bleeding.
2) Having the vet remove it we could send it off for a biopsy... just to be safe.

Since it was a very quick procedure, relatively inexpensive (~$100), and would reduce the 'healing time' from months to weeks.. slicing it off seemed the best option.

If it was in any other spot, or he had not started scratching at it we would have let it heal on its own :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.