Bulldog that will go blind

abyrd

Jun 3, 2014
Country
Bexar
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia and Pork Chop
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and could use some help. I volunteer with a local rescue here in San Antonio and I have been working with them for almost a year now. About the same time I began working with them we got our first bulldog from my husbands partner at work. I've had a bulldog before so I had a pretty good idea of how to care for them and other than her severe allergies she is perfectly healthy. Well, to fast forward to present day I heard from one of the coordinators that we were going to have a male bulldog available for adoption in the next week and low and behold we now have our pork chop to go along with our miss mia. I was on cloud nine! I took him to the vet yesterday for a check-up and found out he has a slew of health issues one of which including going blind in the next couple of years. Now this is not a deal breaker for me but my concern is what their temperament becomes when they do go blind. We have 3 children and my concern is how (or if) his attitude may change. I cried in the vets office yesterday as I was receiving all the news. Has anyone else dealt with this issue that can give me advice? This is whole new territory for me.Thank you for your help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN.... I do not have experience, nor can I think of any members that have a blind baby. However, there may be some experience at our sister site.... Specialneedsbulldogs.com

Thank you you for being involved in rescues and for giving your babies a new loving home!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=12039]abyrd[/MENTION] I have had two blind dogs. They were not bulldogs-one was a shih-tsu, who went blind from diabetes when she was 6 yrs old, and one was a miniature poodle, whom I inherited when my aunt died. They learned their way around just fine, and and had no "temperment issues" I did not have small children at the time, but with a blind dog, you should always speak to them before you approach them-so they do not get startled. Since the bullie would have time to acclimate before he is totally blind, things should be okay. I have had blind dogs, deaf dogs and both. It is easier to have a blind dog, than a deaf dog. If he had a good temperment to start with, I don't forsee any problems. Just so the kids learn to speak to him as they are near-and not startle him.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Tyson was almost blind due to retinal scarring from untreated dry eye. He was the sweetest dog ever even with our infant. That said every dog os different but I would imagine since ot is a gradual progression he should do just fine. Also as long as you don't change his environment and he still has his other senses he should be ok.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and could use some help. I volunteer with a local rescue here in San Antonio and I have been working with them for almost a year now. About the same time I began working with them we got our first bulldog from my husbands partner at work. I've had a bulldog before so I had a pretty good idea of how to care for them and other than her severe allergies she is perfectly healthy. Well, to fast forward to present day I heard from one of the coordinators that we were going to have a male bulldog available for adoption in the next week and low and behold we now have our pork chop to go along with our miss mia. I was on cloud nine! I took him to the vet yesterday for a check-up and found out he has a slew of health issues one of which including going blind in the next couple of years. Now this is not a deal breaker for me but my concern is what their temperament becomes when they do go blind. We have 3 children and my concern is how (or if) his attitude may change. I cried in the vets office yesterday as I was receiving all the news. Has anyone else dealt with this issue that can give me advice? This is whole new territory for me.Thank you for your help!

My Bulldozer was blind in his later years. He could see bright flashes of light but besides that he had no vision. My best advice is to get him to a comfortable place with you and your kids, he will know your scents, he will remember the layout of your furniture and he will know when Miss Mia is near him and playing. It's sad to say but it's almost better if it's a slow process of them losing their sight so that they can become accustomed to it. Bulldozer could jump on and off the furniture, would never bump into anything (unless I moved it and forgot to replace it) and was just the sweetest dog in the world.

I was cautious with him around unknown people or animals. You never know if they will get scared if a child or another animals moves to quickly or if they are in public and pick up strange smells and vibes.
Your boy can lead a very happy life without sight.

If you have any questions (I'm not a vet or expert, just someone who lived through it) just let me know.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I had a diabetic cat that went blind years ago… he did fine, it was very gradual. We did have young kids around at the time, and we would always talk to him before we got too close or tried to pick him up. We just made sure that we didn't move the furniture around too much. I'm assuming that you would need to be by his side when he goes outside, especially if you don't have a fenced in yard. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
:welcome: to the site. i have had deaf pups but not blind ones so I am no help there but it looks like some peeps have you covered.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.