What to expect/ prepare to introduce a second bulldog to family?

Maruko

Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
So my husband and I are thinking to bring a new friend into our family as we feel Maruko is very lonely during the day. We are still debating as we have no clue what to expect during the adjustment period, and are a little concerned whether she could accept a new sibling or not. :whew: Our current bully is almost 7 months old, and we would like to take home a 10 weeks old puppy.

I read several posts about this issue but haven't quite find the answers to my questions. Do I need to crate both dogs during the first month? If only the new dog needs to be crated. Our 7 mo. sleeps with us in the bedroom now, and it's okay to have the new baby in crate in our bedroom as well? Do I need to feed them in separate rooms or different time? I have read a lot of them will fight over toys, will this problem be out of picture as they grow older, so we could leave them at house freely?

What did you do when introducing a puppy to a slightly older bully?

Oh my, I have tons of questions even before making the decision to bringing in a new family member! lol I want to be fully prepared so when it happens, both dogs won't feel neglected and stressed. Should I add a second bulldog? I think the answer is very obvious, bullies are so addictive. :)

Thank you guys!

bigrod48

Jan 7, 2013
NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
I have the same problem as you . My tyson gets lonely when I leave in the mornings for work . I feel bad sometimes because he looks sad when I leave . I am considering getting another puppy . Tyson I a year old . I dont want to wait to long . Its a very hard decision to make

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
Maruko

Maruko

Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
I have the same problem as you . My tyson gets lonely when I leave in the mornings for work . I feel bad sometimes because he looks sad when I leave . I am considering getting another puppy . Tyson I a year old . I dont want to wait to long . Its a very hard decision to make

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Totally understand your feeling! We don't want to wait too long as we heard the younger the better and easier to introduce new member, especially introducing a puppy that is more energetic.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
OK, the age of them both is OK to introduce each other without much problem, as they both will want to play. The big thing is for the first couple of months, you will need to watch the pup, so the older one will not play too rough, plus remember the pup will still need plenty of sleep. We feed our pups three times a day until they are about 6 to 7 months of age. You can just feed them in their crates, that's what we do, plus it will help the pup get used to the crate. I would crate them always when you are gone for several reasons. One so they will not get into things they should not get into, they will not chew power cords, and so they will not fight. They can get along great, but it only takes that one time for them to want each others toy or hormones to be crazy one day and the fight starts. Most of the time they will stop on their own, but if they get mad enough, they will fight till one is dead. Not a good thing, so we always crate ours when we are gone. They will always want to others toy, it doesn't matter if there are two of the same toy, they will want what the others has. As far as sleeping, at first until the pup gets house trained definitely crate at night when you go to bed, once the pup gets old enough and you trust them, then you can let them sleep where ever. We always crate ours at night because they do not sleep with us, and this will keep them out of trouble. Once they are crate trained, they like their crates and will go in them on their own when they want some peace and quiet. I hope this helps, and good luck with your new pup.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have never had trouble intoducing a pup to the other dogs. Some people do have trouble but I have never expected trouble-and all has gone well. Sometimes if the pup has started playing and the others get too rough, I have told them "take it easy-that is a baby dog!" They have usually calmed down. I did have a pen-and a crate for the pup for naptime-or if I was leaving the house. All of my dogs sleep in their own crate at night-so did pups. I would get up at least four times a night and take pups out-and back in crate. If you only have two-what I did was stand inbetween them while they eat-one is not allowed to eat the other's food. Since pup eaTS more times a day, I would feed extra meals in the pen. Give the bigger dog a couple of treats, while the pup eats(takes about two seconds!) Mine were good with pups over a toy-but of course, they would always take it. Now, no matter how many toys there are-they all want the SAME one. Sometimes I have to yell "NO FIGHTING!" because it gets a little too serious.(now that they are big) So far all goes pretty well. They are a rowdy bucnh because they have too much freedom with a fenced yard. My fault. If I take one at a time on a leash,they are fine-but more than one-I'm water skiing with no water! I have always had four or five dogs at a time and I guess I have been lucky-even with grown rescues. Good luck! The main thing is to always give the first dog as much attention as he's used to and don't allow mean jealousy.

OP
Maruko

Maruko

Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
OK, the age of them both is OK to introduce each other without much problem, as they both will want to play. The big thing is for the first couple of months, you will need to watch the pup, so the older one will not play too rough, plus remember the pup will still need plenty of sleep. We feed our pups three times a day until they are about 6 to 7 months of age. You can just feed them in their crates, that's what we do, plus it will help the pup get used to the crate. I would crate them always when you are gone for several reasons. One so they will not get into things they should not get into, they will not chew power cords, and so they will not fight. They can get along great, but it only takes that one time for them to want each others toy or hormones to be crazy one day and the fight starts. Most of the time they will stop on their own, but if they get mad enough, they will fight till one is dead. Not a good thing, so we always crate ours when we are gone. They will always want to others toy, it doesn't matter if there are two of the same toy, they will want what the others has. As far as sleeping, at first until the pup gets house trained definitely crate at night when you go to bed, once the pup gets old enough and you trust them, then you can let them sleep where ever. We always crate ours at night because they do not sleep with us, and this will keep them out of trouble. Once they are crate trained, they like their crates and will go in them on their own when they want some peace and quiet. I hope this helps, and good luck with your new pup.

Thank you David! Sounds like it will take a lot proper training to get them to be good friend. :)

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Everybody else has some great advice.. I would only ad a few tips:

1) The dog that sleeps on your bed will think he's the alpha dog. This could cause problems..
2) Don't leave any toy's / bones / socks laying around that they can fight over..
3) You need to establish that your the 'Alpha' leader..
4) Keep a squirt bottle full of water handy.. its the great equalizer :)

If they do fight.. don't yell and scream.. Just break them up (without getting yourself hurt) and calm them down.. Most of the time the squirt bottle will do the trick.

Two bulldogs are WAY better then one :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great advice ahs been given above.... I'll just add --- best of luck and keep us posted

OP
Maruko

Maruko

Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
Thank you all for all the good tips! We need to wait till next month to bring the new baby home. Our current dog sleeps in the bedroom with us but on her own bed next to us :)I'm worried she wont sleep if the little one is in his crate in the same room. lol We will see what happens!

It's a little sad to know that they need to be separated when we are at work, the whole purpose of getting a second puppy is to keep them company while we are gone.

I will keep you updated and send out photos : )

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
It all depends on a dog really , we didnt separate the girls when we were out ,but we never leave them for more than 2 hours
The rules i usually follow are
1) meet in a neutral ground outside the house ,see how both of babies interact
2) supervise interaction in the house ,sone dogs sadly love to be the only dogs and get a bit stressed which usually shows up in their behaviour
3) have a 1 on 1 with both dogs in that way no one will feel left out -as puppies like children take most of our attention i believe that our fur babies might feel left our
4) puppies can be "bit much" for a chilled out dog -it puts their lives upside down same as ours -give the resident dog a break in his "quiet place"
5) put some rules into place and make everyone follow them
6) buy 2 of the same toys etc -yet they still more than likely will want the one other is having ;-)
7) keep calm , it all works out ;-)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.