need advice on adoption...

tlvincent

Jun 1, 2014
Rhode Island
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
So a friend is needing to find a home for their 7 year old english bulldog. I knew this dog two years ago and loved the time I spent with him. I was excited when hearing he needed a home, so I went to see him today and he's not quite as healthy as I remember him...

He has skin problems around his neck (thickening and scabbing) and is breathing much heavier than he did two years ago... which I'm wondering if this may be due to weight gain or age? He seemed a lot less energetic.. somewhat over weight (they told me 68lbs) .. and strangely, HIS nipples are HUGE now. and his belly has a few lumpy normal colored growths.

My dilemma is this... I really love this dog and don't want to see him go to a pound.
But I would really love it if he is still able to run around and be active.... I don't want to adopt him to ..help him die. (not trying to sound selfish)

Do you guys think 7 may be too old? Do you think I can give him more exercise - helping to him to lose weight and breathe better & have more energy?
I am completely willing to help him get in better shape, if he's willing? I'm hoping he's not too old for the exercise though..

I know I have to keep him cleaner and take care of the yeast to get rid of his skin problem and I'm fine with that.

I just don't know if it's possible to get him in better shape or if its just the aging that has gotten him this way...

I know things probably wont get a whole ton better for him and he doesn't have many years left....

Soo.... debating....

10155617_859463234067619_7613958925942263006_n.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Why in the world are people giving up a dog that they have had for 7 years? You mention "normal colored lumpy growths". Have the owners found out that those growths are cancerous, and they don't want to deal with it? Are you willing to deal with it-if he has problems. He may be over weight-and that would affect his breathing. Some Bullies live to be 14. I think it comes down to what you are willing to do for this poor dog. It sure sounds like he deserves a better home than he has now. I think you are the only one who can make the decision about how much you would be willing to give in time,love and $ if needed for this beautiful fella'. Ya know everyone wants to dump ya' when ya' get old. Very sad.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a sweet little face.... most likely a lot of his issues could be from poor food. scabs, skin issues, over weight, no energy a can very well be because he is on the wrong food. as for the lumps, can you get pics for us to see what they look like.

My girl is almost 9 yrs old and still has puppy burst of energy.... this ole soul may be deprived of attention and or interaction and has resorted to just being a sleepy dog.

OP
T

tlvincent

Jun 1, 2014
Rhode Island
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
The owner has gone to jail for 6 years.. the family has had him for a few months now and is moving and can't take him I guess. .. crappy situation. I am willing to do as much for him as he needs. The lumps look kind of like skin tags.. nothing open or red or anything that jumps out at me like cancerous.. but I'll try to get a pic. It makes me feel better that you say changing his diet will help. Sadly his other options aren't great... I do want to help him. Just wasnt sure how much is age and how much is diet. They also give him zertek (allergy) and benadryl. .. which I was wondering might contribute to the drowsiness

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They also give him zertek (allergy) and benadryl. .. which I was wondering might contribute to the drowsiness

Totally will make him sleepy.... benedryl helps my girl with her allergies, but have never make her sleepy. However, when I had my boy, it did make him sleepy so he only got it if his allergies were very bad on a certain day or time.

Food for Bulldogs is a very big part of their health, grain free is best and chicken seems to cause lots of allergies in the breed too, so going with a beef, pork or lamb base is best. many here on the forum have great results with Fromm so that is something to think about too,.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=12019]tlvincent[/MENTION] -- I tagged a few members that have adopted older Bullies and they can give more insight, I also tagged members that can give advice on food and skin issues.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Maybe if we knew the area you're in someone could help. There may be someone close that could adopt or foster. He looks so sweet. I know I couldn't tell that face no.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh, he sure looks like such a sweetheart. That's so awesome that you're thinking of adopting this little guy. Yes, definitely the benadryl can make him sleepy, and the lack of attention...perhaps he's a little down/depressed too? You sound like such a caring person who just wants the best for him.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about this situation, and I understand your dilemma… If I were you I would take him to the vet for a full checkup, and see what exactly those lumps are first of all. His sluggish behavior could be the result of many factors… poor nutrition, lack of vet care, and lack of attention to boot. Many dogs become depressed in their home situation, and that may explain his lack of energy. But you need to understand this breed… they aren't necessarily known for being "active" especially older bulldogs. My Bella lived to be around 5 years old (pretty young) and she would take some serious naps during the daytime… Lol. I wish you luck, you sound like you really care about this baby. Please keep us posted on your decision...

OP
T

tlvincent

Jun 1, 2014
Rhode Island
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
Thanks so much guys. Heres two pics i found that are somewhat recent, he has since switched owners to someone who has been most likely feeding him more and they themselves don't exercise so how can he lol

Screenshot_2014-06-01-21-33-36-1.jpgScreenshot_2014-06-01-21-33-43-1.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks so much guys. Heres two pics i found that are somewhat recent, he has since switched owners to someone who has been most likely feeding him more and they themselves don't exercise so how can he lol

View attachment 72065View attachment 72066

What a handsome boy!! I'd say he is over weight and needs to drop some of the pounds to give him some willingness to move around. They only need about 2 cups of food a day (1 AM and 1 PM) any more than that and they are packing on the weight.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, what a sweetie, I totally agree with everyone's comments and suggestions that he's probably suffering from food allergies, that are affecting his skin, and it sounds like he hasn't had a lot of care and attention for either the vet or human interaction. EB's are very social dogs and they need to be close to their family members and they need lots of preventative care, such as proper diet, and a high quality kibble that is preferably not chicken based, and is grain free, they don't need or tolerate a lot of exercise, so over feeding will definitely cause weight gain. You want to keep them at a good weight, and how you tell if they are or not is look at them from above, they should have a well defined waist, and you should be able to feel their ribs, but not see them. It sounds like you care about this sweet boy, and you are willing to give him the love, time and care he needs, you could give him a loving home for his remaining years, and with the right care, he could live up to another 5 to 7 years. Only you can make that decision, but it sounds like you want to. I hope it works out for you. Please keep us posted.

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Could you at least take him to make sure he is in good hands and then go from there? Even if you cannot keep him, maybe you could work with a loving rescue? That would be better than a shelter or having the people give him to someone that doesn't know what they are getting themselves into with a bulldog and Heaven forbid dumping him on the street somewhere alone. 😞 It sounds like he would be best with you and you would taken great care of him! 😊 But I think even if you don't make your home his furever home, you would be saving him by making sure he is safe with a loving rescue. Just my thoughts 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikesbandit

Feb 21, 2014
So a friend is needing to find a home for their 7 year old english bulldog. I knew this dog two years ago and loved the time I spent with him. I was excited when hearing he needed a home, so I went to see him today and he's not quite as healthy as I remember him...

He has skin problems around his neck (thickening and scabbing) and is breathing much heavier than he did two years ago... which I'm wondering if this may be due to weight gain or age? He seemed a lot less energetic.. somewhat over weight (they told me 68lbs) .. and strangely, HIS nipples are HUGE now. and his belly has a few lumpy normal colored growths.

My dilemma is this... I really love this dog and don't want to see him go to a pound.
But I would really love it if he is still able to run around and be active.... I don't want to adopt him to ..help him die. (not trying to sound selfish)

Do you guys think 7 may be too old? Do you think I can give him more exercise - helping to him to lose weight and breathe better & have more energy?
I am completely willing to help him get in better shape, if he's willing? I'm hoping he's not too old for the exercise though..

I know I have to keep him cleaner and take care of the yeast to get rid of his skin problem and I'm fine with that.

I just don't know if it's possible to get him in better shape or if its just the aging that has gotten him this way...

I know things probably wont get a whole ton better for him and he doesn't have many years left....

Soo.... debating....

View attachment 72064

I don't want to sound rude, but.....

He will breathe a lot better if you take that stupid collar off of him. Nothing pisses me off more than ignorant owners putting collars on brachycephalic dogs.

Get him a nice, non-restrictive harness and start with short walks, bathe him bi-weekly and think about changing his diet to a high quality, high protien dry food.

Don't give up, the dude deserves a second chance, with someone that truly loves and cares for him.

Just my two cents.

OP
T

tlvincent

Jun 1, 2014
Rhode Island
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
Ok will do with the harness suggestion. So I'll do some reading on how to take care of his skin problems and some weightloss info.
If anyone has any further advice I greatly welcome it.
as for that nipple thing.. has anyone else seen this on a male EB? They look like a females whose been bred haha

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.