Thread: need advice on adoption...

Dog Park Attendant Rigginsluv11's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Riggins
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: need advice on adoption...

Could you at least take him to make sure he is in good hands and then go from there? Even if you cannot keep him, maybe you could work with a loving rescue? That would be better than a shelter or having the people give him to someone that doesn't know what they are getting themselves into with a bulldog and Heaven forbid dumping him on the street somewhere alone. 😞 It sounds like he would be best with you and you would taken great care of him! 😊 But I think even if you don't make your home his furever home, you would be saving him by making sure he is safe with a loving rescue. Just my thoughts 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tlvincent View Post
    So a friend is needing to find a home for their 7 year old english bulldog. I knew this dog two years ago and loved the time I spent with him. I was excited when hearing he needed a home, so I went to see him today and he's not quite as healthy as I remember him...

He has skin problems around his neck (thickening and scabbing) and is breathing much heavier than he did two years ago... which I'm wondering if this may be due to weight gain or age? He seemed a lot less energetic.. somewhat over weight (they told me 68lbs) .. and strangely, HIS nipples are HUGE now. and his belly has a few lumpy normal colored growths.

My dilemma is this... I really love this dog and don't want to see him go to a pound.
    But I would really love it if he is still able to run around and be active.... I don't want to adopt him to ..help him die. (not trying to sound selfish)

Do you guys think 7 may be too old? Do you think I can give him more exercise - helping to him to lose weight and breathe better & have more energy?
    I am completely willing to help him get in better shape, if he's willing? I'm hoping he's not too old for the exercise though..

I know I have to keep him cleaner and take care of the yeast to get rid of his skin problem and I'm fine with that.

I just don't know if it's possible to get him in better shape or if its just the aging that has gotten him this way...

I know things probably wont get a whole ton better for him and he doesn't have many years left....

Soo.... debating....

Attachment 72064
    I don't want to sound rude, but.....

He will breathe a lot better if you take that stupid collar off of him. Nothing pisses me off more than ignorant owners putting collars on brachycephalic dogs.

Get him a nice, non-restrictive harness and start with short walks, bathe him bi-weekly and think about changing his diet to a high quality, high protien dry food.

Don't give up, the dude deserves a second chance, with someone that truly loves and cares for him.

Just my two cents.

Real Name
    Tiffany
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Z
    Likes (Received)

Ok will do with the harness suggestion. So I'll do some reading on how to take care of his skin problems and some weightloss info.
    If anyone has any further advice I greatly welcome it.
    as for that nipple thing.. has anyone else seen this on a male EB? They look like a females whose been bred haha

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I don't know the situation with this dog- but I hope this is not his problem-this is worst case scenerio cause of large nipples .Sertoli cell tumors show symptoms of swelling of the testicular and scrotal area. If the dog is cryptorchid, the swelling will occur in the inguinal or abdominal area depending on the location of the testicle. Up to 50% of the Sertoli cell tumors will produce estrogen and the dog will have symptoms of hyperestrogenism. These include an enlarged prostate gland, enlarged mammary glands and nipples, symmetrical hair loss, anemia, and the tendency to attract other male dogs. Sertoli cell tumors may metastasize to the abdomen, lungs, thymus, and brain, however, this occurs in less than 15% of the cases. I am praying that THIS is NOT the case.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Ok will do with the harness suggestion. So I'll do some reading on how to take care of his skin problems and some weightloss info.
    If anyone has any further advice I greatly welcome it.
    as for that nipple thing.. has anyone else seen this on a male EB? They look like a females whose been bred haha
    Nipple could be a real health issue, but it could also be from being over weight.... where are you located, we cna see if there is a reputable Bulldog vet in your area that you can take him to for an exam?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Tiffany
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Z
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    I don't know the situation with this dog- but I hope this is not his problem-this is worst case scenerio cause of large nipples .Sertoli cell tumors show symptoms of swelling of the testicular and scrotal area. If the dog is cryptorchid, the swelling will occur in the inguinal or abdominal area depending on the location of the testicle. Up to 50% of the Sertoli cell tumors will produce estrogen and the dog will have symptoms of hyperestrogenism. These include an enlarged prostate gland, enlarged mammary glands and nipples, symmetrical hair loss, anemia, and the tendency to attract other male dogs. Sertoli cell tumors may metastasize to the abdomen, lungs, thymus, and brain, however, this occurs in less than 15% of the cases. I am praying that THIS is NOT the case.

Well hes been neutered. .. hmm

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Nipple could be a real health issue, but it could also be from being over weight.... where are you located, we cna see if there is a reputable Bulldog vet in your area that you can take him to for an exam?
    Rhode Island

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Rhode Island
    here is the link... nothing listed in RI, but many surrounding states and based on your location, you might be able to get to one of them.... maybe

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/co...-Veterinarians
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I adopted a 4-6 year-old girl who has had a lot of health problems. His sluggishness could be due to weight, breathing problems, medications, so many things! It is hard on their joints when these dogs are overweight, making it uncomfortable for them to move. I think you have gotten some great advice from others on here. I really think a thorough exam by a vet is in order.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Real Name
    Tiffany
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Z
    Likes (Received)

This dude has a new home

he wont eat the fromm grain free pork and peas maybe tomorrow lol

Here's those bumps, and his huge nips lol sorry for the crotch shot but thats where the bumps are lol

-20140603_202730-jpg-20140603_211326-jpg

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kori
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
    Likes (Received)

So glad you've given him a new home!!!! Next step would be to get him in to a vet that knows bulldogs well. Get him checked out
    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

James Hond, My Sunshine

Real Name
    Tiffany
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Z
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozersma View Post
    So glad you've given him a new home!!!! Next step would be to get him in to a vet that knows bulldogs well. Get him checked out
    he has an appointment at his vet on thursday, he has one of those petsmart banfield wellness plans

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

This dude has a new home

he wont eat the fromm grain free pork and peas maybe tomorrow lol

Here's those bumps, and his huge nips lol sorry for the crotch shot but thats where the bumps are lol

-20140603_202730-jpg-20140603_211326-jpg

This news makes me so very happy! for you and for your new bully. Thank you for bringing him into your life. What a handsome little guy he is. I will be thinking of him on Thurs when he goes to the vet and hoping that the "bumps" are not serious. Maybe you can add just a little bit of water to the dry kibble and he may want to eat it then. Please give your bully a big hug from us!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads