Sniffing and Savoring other dogs Urine?

B

Baxter Tiberius

Does your bully do this?

Every time I take Baxter out to potty, he spends 70% of the time sniffing around, finding a place where another dog has peed in the grass, burying his face in it, until I pull him away, which he refuses to move, so there's this huge tug of war, and when he pulls his head up, he's in a trance, with his mouth clapping open and shut as his hamburger fatty jowels jiggle and snot and saliva runs out his nose and out his mouth onto the ground. You can see the water drooling out of his mouth and nose.

Then he trots along to another location, does the exact same thing, and repeat, repeat, repeat. I spend most of the time pulling him out of his urine sniffing trance, as onlookers think I am being mean to my dog always pulling on him. I get some nasty looks, but none of them realize he is basically devouring the pee of another dog repeatedly.

I'll videotape it tomorrow.

I am sure this relates to him going thru puberty, and probably the urine of a female dog / hormones, etc. Probably same reason at the dog park all he ever does now is lick other dogs penises and vaginas for extended periods of time, until I pull him off. SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....:whew:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ours will sometime smell where another has gone and pee there, marking their territory, but never will lick it, unless it's a bitch in heat that has gone there, and sometimes an intact male will do that.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Lately it sounds like Baxter is a good candidate for castration! The action he is doing with his mouth is how they "intensify the smells of the urine" sort of like receiving more info from it. In equines, it is called the flehman posture,raise their top lip in the air. flehman.jpg goats, cats, and other animals also do it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I got nothin.... David and Lynn got you covered

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My boxer Roxie will pee over others dogs pee… it's the weirdest thing, I thought that only males did that!!! I'm sure Wally will follow suit...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Everyone's already got you covered, blossom does the same thing, she stops at every light pole, and wall and sniffs other dogs pee, she doesn't lick it, but she has to stop and sniff every corner, and I'm always doing the same thing, pulling her away, Dozer doesn't do this, but he likes to sniff Blossom's butt. Lol

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
That is typical dog behaviour! I don't think this is reason to castrate a dog at all.

Dogs like to pee where other dogs have peed. Castor does this and as long as we're not in a hurry, I don't think it's a problem. For dogs, peeing is not just a matter of relieving themselves but part of their social interaction with other dogs in the neighbourhood. I do stop Castor if he gets totally fixated, though (probably because a female in heat has been there).

Perhaps you could bring a toy that Baxter likes along and give it to him to make him stop sniffing when you think it's time to move on.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
My Rampage would do this with intensity!! Many believe that dogs are able to scent with their mouths as well and do this to determine if a female is in heat. It's normal behavior but at times, Rampage would get a little too nosy and not want to wait until the other dog was done peeing.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

He doesn't lick. He just buries his face in it. Its always very intense.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] - wow! that is really interesting!! He's definitely doing something. Looks like his' chomping with his mouth. I guess he can't lift his upper mouth since its one huge blob of meat, but he looks like he's chewing the air, while looking up at me and fluids just dripping out of his mouth and nose onto the ground.

Only reason I pull him away is because I sometimes find myself nuzzling up to his face. Guess I need to stop doing that.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8322]baxter[/MENTION] Tiberious Yes, dogs sort of do make a "chomping " movement and it serves the same purpose as the "lip rise". Careful with the kisses!. Also if Baxter has not had a Lepto shot-I would worry about him doing that-in fact, I don't think it is the healthiest thing to let him do. Bacteria........

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I call it pee-mail cuz In my head they are leaving messages for other dogs.

All my dogs sniff intensely and they are all fixed - even my female. Then they have to pee on top of the other dogs pee. The best is when one pees in a spot they all follow suit and pee in the same spot. Sometimes if we are not watching the one will pee and the other will stick their nose under it and get their head peed on LoL. That probably happens at least once a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Mine foam at the mouth/ drool sometimes too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online