The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Wondering if we should continue with pet insurance that was given free for 6 weeks coming due soon Pet Secure

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
There's a lot of people that have a seperate account set up that they put money into specifically for any emergencies. If you've had Chance insured since day one then I say stick with it. There's some horror stories on here of people that were denied claims because of one reason or another.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Insurance is hit or miss. The earlier you have the better. If you have it and haven't had and issues or mentioned any concers to your vet it is probably worthwhile to keep it. If you choose not to then set aside money in a savings accout or seperate credit card or possibly Care Credit.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I got insurance for my two bulldogs as soon as I adopted them. In their case(s), I had no predetermined illnesses to declare to the insurance company and thus, their health claims have gone through w/out any problems. I have Trupanion and they pay 90% of the medical fee (excluding exam).

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Everybody will have a different opinion.. but here is my view.

We had Molly ensured through Trupanion for the first 2 years of her life. We paid ~$45 a month for a $250 deductible. During that time we probably racked up ~$500 in vet bills (Skin issues, scratched eye.. etc). Not once where we able to use the insurance.. but we paid over $1000 in premiums.

When Kevin was born i took a big hard 'think' on the insurance... IMHO it wasn't working for us. What we ended up doing is putting both Kevin & Molly on Embrace pet insurance but with a high deductible ($1k) for ~$40 a month (~$20 x dogs = $40ish.. i don't remember the exact amounts). We then just put money aside each month to cover all the other expenditures (kinda like a health savings plan).

We had a bad scare with Kevin this week but i knew we'd be covered for the worst case... Luckily it wasn't anything bad and the total cost was ~$250.. and that will come out of what we call 'Kevins collage fund' :tongue:

One VERY nice thing about Embrace is that they will do a Medical History Review and tell you EXACTLY what they will consider pre-existing so it takes all the guess/worry out of it.
http://www.embracepetinsurance.com/after-you-enroll/medical-history-review

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I can tell you my experience. I got Bocephus on insurance as soon as I got him from the breeder. He is currently 8 months old and has had, after his surgery yesterday, over $5K in vet bills due to scrolled cartilage in his eyes. I have Embrace insurance and they have covered everything except his neutering, only because I didn't get wellness coverage. You never know with a pup what is down the road but in the 5 months I've had him, I am very thankful I have the insurance. I pay $40 a month and they are definitely not making any money on me. The trick is to get them on a policy right away so nothing is pre existing

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.