Do you remember the first time you saw your first English Bulldog?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When I was growing up we had always had Pugs and when I was 6 or 7 I remember that they had a fun kind of dog show at an indoor mall by us and they had funny categories to enter you dog into. My younger sister and I entered our two Pugs into the curliest hair category because of their tails because we couldn't think of what else to enter them in. While we were waiting for the show to start someone came in with an English Bulldog and her puppy who had to have been 8 weeks old, it was the first time I had laid eyes on one let alone two. I was amazed at how cute the puppy was, I remember getting down on the ground and reaching to pet the baby bully and the mother bull went at my hand, I flinched back and fell flat on my back. Everyone was laughing at me but that moment was burned into my memory.

Since that day I ALWAYS wanted an English Bulldog and begged and pleaded with my parents for years but they were too enamored with Pugs. I had every book and magazine and whatever else I could get my hands on about the breed from that day on. After I got married I thought about it A LOT but reality never allowed that and it took another 20 years before a Bully found me and called me his own. No one understands how we feel about English Bulldogs or what their true personalities are unless you've been claimed by one.. IMHO they are the best AND the closet thing to human babies in the dog world.

Do you remember the first time you ever saw an English Bulldog? Do you remember where it was or who you were with?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Yep. I was 8 years old and my parents took me to a dog show. The first one I saw was an English Bulldog and I fell in love. Like you I begged my parents to get one but they were both in to Ridgebacks and other ankle biters. Once I got to my avionics school for the Marines we had each barracks had their own bully and every one got to lend a hand taking care of them.

As for getting my own... Again the stars wouldn't align for 20 years before I felt that I was in a good enough position to take care of one and I am glad I waited and wouldn't give Harlea up for the world.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
He's, the first time I ever saw a EB was unfortunately at a pet store many years ago, I thought they were the cutest pups ever, but they were selling for $3500, and I also had a Jack Russell already. I remember going to the mall with my kids and looking at all the little puppies in the glass windows. I fell in love with the little mush faced wrinkled ones, wishing I could take one home. I told my hubby if I ever got to own a EB, I wanted a male, and I was going to call him Bulldozer. I waited over 10 years, and when my Jack Russell died after 14 years, I waited another 2 years before deciding to get one. I went to see my Dozer, and fell in love, but hubby fell in love with his sister Blossom, so we brought them both home. I've had dogs before, but little dogs, and I didn't really know lot about the breed when I bought them, but I did do a lot of research, and reading, and I asked my friends friend who had 6 of them about the breed. I fell in love, and think this breed is the best dog ever. I will forever be owned by a bully. Thank goodness here in Canada they have passed a law making it illegal to sell dogs in pet stores, malls, flea markets, and puppy mills.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
What a great question!

For me, I have no idea when the first time I saw an EB was. All I know is, I have wanted a bulldog since I was around 9 years old, so I must've seen one on TV or in person. I have always been enamored by the EB. I agree with [MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION], EB's remind me so much of human toddlers...very mischievous little kids who love to give and receive so much affection. :luv:

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Yep sure do. I was probably 2 or 3. Tom and Jerry were on TV and ole Spike was giving Tom hell. I'm pretty sure Spike was building him an new dog house and Tom as usual was trying to catch Jerry. Ole Spike had that cat running from one side the yard to the other as mayhem ensued. How Spike managed to pull Tom threw that peep hole in the fence still baffles me. Anyway Spike managed to get his house built and Tom was doing all the work. Good times. :p

But seriously I remember watching LSU games with my dad as a young kid and they showed Georgia's mascot Uga. I've wanted one ever since. In high school our neighbor that moved in had a bully and I would go over everyday and play with him.

I have me one now and will never not have one. :bulldog:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yep I remember the first time I saw Baby, a memory I don't think I'll ever forget! She had me at hello!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I can not think of the very first time, outside of Spike on Tom and Jerry cartoon..... ya see, I was never really a 'dog person' till we got Nitschke and it was immediate love for me. Lewis (the b/f) had always wanted a Bulldog since he was a small child and like many of you have stated, his parents would not allow and they were in to smaller breeds. He had told me the story so many times over the three years that I knew exactly what I had to find to make his dream come true... in Lewis' words.... "he has to be red/white and his name will be Nitshcke, after my favorite Green Bay Packer'. So, three years into our relationship, I decided to get him his life long dream, which is when we met and purchased Nitschke in December of 2004. The best decision of my life.. :heart:

OP
D

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I can not think of the very first time, outside of Spike on Tom and Jerry cartoon..... ya see, I was never really a 'dog person' till we got Nitschke and it was immediate love for me. Lewis (the b/f) had always wanted a Bulldog since he was a small child and like many of you have stated, his parents would not allow and they were in to smaller breeds. He had told me the story so many times over the three years that I knew exactly what I had to find to make his dream come true... in Lewis' words.... "he has to be red/white and his name will be Nitshcke, after my favorite Green Bay Packer'. So, three years into our relationship, I decided to get him his life long dream, which is when we met and purchased Nitschke in December of 2004. The best decision of my life.. :heart:

that's an awesome story!! :heart:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
First time I saw an English bulldog in real life was when we went to get Boeboe<3 She was almost 6 weeks old and the cutest little thing on the planet. She sat on the grass, she was so tired she fell asleep sitting up. I remember I asked my husband if something was wrong with her tail, lol, it was all crooked, aww:blush2:.

Petra's pictures 007.jpg008.jpg012.jpgPetra's pictures 010.jpg

BuddercupKelly

Jan 5, 2014
Citrus County, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I can't remember the first time, as my mom's friend had them while we were growing up and I think my mom got her first one when I was 8 years old. And, always had one while we were growing up. We had other dogs too, but I just loved the bullies. Still do. The one I have now is extraordinary. (I know, we all think that.) My last bully was sweet, and I loved her dearly, but this one has my heart totally. My granddaughter even says "You love that dog more than me." My response is..."Yes, I do, what's your point?" LOL. Then I explain to her how he loves me ALL the time, he's not sassy, and he minds me. Gotta love grandbabies too.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
First time I saw an English bulldog in real life was when we went to get Boeboe<3 She was almost 6 weeks old and the cutest little thing on the planet. She sat on the grass, she was so tired she fell asleep sitting up. I remember I asked my husband if something was wrong with her tail, lol, it was all crooked, aww:blush2:.

View attachment 72698View attachment 72699View attachment 72700View attachment 72701
What a cute little girl you have, that third picture is awesome! Great thread and stories.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
[MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] I had a Bassett Hound for many years named Wally... and I always wanted another one. It was my brother for years and years who talked about bulldogs and how much he loved them. He married a woman who looks amazingly like an EB. Years later when I retired from NYPD and I had the time to devote to the care of a dog I was debating what I should get...My sister in law looked me in the eye one day after a particularly sloppy drink of water and asked if I made my decision...and I said yes just this very second!

OP
D

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@pdolphin27 I had a Bassett Hound for many years named Wally... and I always wanted another one. It was my brother for years and years who talked about bulldogs and how much he loved them. He married a woman who looks amazingly like an EB. Years later when I retired from NYPD and I had the time to devote to the care of a dog I was debating what I should get...My sister in law looked me in the eye one day after a particularly sloppy drink of water and asked if I made my decision...and I said yes just this very second!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I must credit Tom & Jerry also for my bulldog passion - Spike did it!

Holly33

Aug 23, 2013
New Hampshire
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joe
I saw my first EB near my sisters house when I was 21 .. It was love at first sight.. She was so sweet and different .. I knew that moment I wanted one.. I researched and talked about my bulldog "Joe" for years.. My best friend "found" Joe being given away in the newspaper when I was 27..I responded and picked him up.. best thing that ever happened to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions