Advice On Adding A Second Bully To The House - Help Needed

MagsMom

Apr 19, 2014
Virginia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie; Tyson
Seeking advice from all you experienced Bully owners on the best way to handle adding a second baby to the house.
We just got a male, he's 3-1/2 months old, and have a 16 month old girl. They don't fight over food because I feed them both in their crates, but they DO tussle all the time. Maggie has always been a headstrong, but loving girl and Tyson is a very confident boy who is very sweet, but they play rough and Tyson's little needle teeth are tearing up poor Maggie's jowls. They each want the other's everything: toys, crates, beds, and then they love each other a bit, but always tussle for top dog I'm guessing. We are monitoring very closely to make sure it's just play and spend a lot of time separating them and ensuring each has their own special time with us. Maggie has been going to doggy daycare over the past year, and has been socialized very well with the dogs there. We are going to introduce Tyson to daycare - 1/2 day for now - next week, and hopefully he'll learn to play well with others, and let Maggie show him the ropes.

I welcome any advice anyone wants to share in case we are doing something wrong - they are both great dogs - will this work itself out, I hope?

Thanks!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, and congratulations on your new baby Tyson, he's a cutie pie. I'm sorry you're having troubles with your babies getting along. I don't really have any experience with this myself, as I have a male and female siblings, and they are litter mates, so have been together since birth, and we brought them home on the same day, so they have always been together. They can also play rough sometimes, and even though they have two of every toy, they always want the same toy to play with. They can get rambunctious at times, and some of this is just normal behaviour for a bully. Blossom is very much the boss and more dominate one, and Bulldozer is much more laid back, so he lets her be the Diva. Lol hopefully some members with experience of introducing a new bully will come along soon and offer some advice and suggestions. From what I've read from others having the same issues, the key is to first Introduce the bullies on neutral territory, and not in the house, and to keep them separated by a baby gate, so they can see each other, and get used to each others scents. I've also read that it helps to take them on walks together. How long have they been together?, and were they introduced to each other before you brought Tyson home? Also have you thought about getting a trainer to help you with tips on how to get them used to each other and get along? I hope they settle down soon, and that they become friends. Please keep us posted on how they are doing.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Congrats on your new pup. Bullies play rough, and when they get too rough, you need to step in and stop the play for a few minutes. They always want what the other one has. You can buy two of the same toy and they will still want to others toy. Once they get older, they will settle down, right now they both are full of pup.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Congrats on your new pup. Bullies play rough, and when they get too rough, you need to step in and stop the play for a few minutes. They always want what the other one has. You can buy two of the same toy and they will still want to others toy. Once they get older, they will settle down, right now they both are full of pup.

I totally agree with the above advice. I have 4, and used to buy 4 of each toy! They STILL wanted the same one and so I save money by buying one new toy, and they take turns-but always have "arguments". Sometime it starts to become a real fight-then I have to stop it before it escalates to much! When they play-it is pretty rough!

OP
MagsMom

MagsMom

Apr 19, 2014
Virginia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie; Tyson

Thank you - feel much better about them being buds eventually. I know it's just a matter of time
:pray:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online