Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
This was your six thousand and one post? :up:

Bentley is adorable. Joking aside, another thing not so good about free feeding or feeding when you're not home in general is that dogs have been known to choke on their food and suffocate. Not that it happens often but it does happen. When Wilson was a pup I had to go to work during the day. So when he was still eating 3 times a day I fed him in the morning, then when I got home and then a couple hours later again. I eventually moved him to 2 feedings by the age of 3 months. It's just what I had to do with my work scheduled and he was totally fine.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Omg look at all that food infront of Bentley! lol. what a good boy!

I did free feed Bifi when he was small and he would self regulate but not anymore. I gave him 2.8 kg turkey thigh with leg and he was intent on finishing it one sitting lol.

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
We feed twice daily. Stella is not a morning person. Most days she goes out to potty then makes a beeline to the bed. Today, for example she didn't eat her breakfast until 1:30pm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
We were just talking about this! Koozer is currently on a feeding schedule because when he was younger, he was a crazed puppy about food (and he had a sensitive little tummy too!). But now that he's over 2 years old, he really is mellowing out...even when it comes to his food. He no longer runs in when he hears food put into his bowl. He sometimes saunters in and slowly eats, or he sometimes will wait hours until he eats.

So that brings me to my question...is it possible to transition him to free feeding? How?

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I suppose you could say we free feed Winston. He's more of a grazer than a chow hound. I will put food in his bowl in the morning before I go to work. He will grab a nibble here and there as he goes by during the day, but there is almost always food left in the bowl by the time we are all home in the evening. He tends to finish it off then. Some days he doesn't eat hardly anything at all, and on rare occasion he asks for more.

I have one of the very rare bullies that isn't all that food motivated.

OP
msericathatcher

msericathatcher

Apr 18, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
@jimmyjj thank you! [MENTION=8562]IPickedADaisy[/MENTION] aw poor roscoe! I hope he learns quick! Daisy is feisty it seems lol. [MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] thank you - bahahaha what a sight that would be! [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] it's one of favorites too! Thank you- he was so curious :) oh man banks! Talk about serious food coma lol [MENTION=10319]jeannie[/MENTION]cCO haha if you had room for hippos... I was gonna say we're moving in! Cause you would have a lot of space! Lol ya know - that is avoid point on the choking. I just look at it that when I'm hungry I have my meal or I snack and he should have that option. He shows zero interest in my food, I could be eating a cheeseburger in one hand and he does not care in the least. [MENTION=8944]dieMuttivonBifi[/MENTION] hahaha thank you! Oh geeze....he really wanted that turkey leg! [MENTION=9684]MyStellaBully[/MENTION] I think I know a few bullies and other dogs that are just not morning pups lol [MENTION=5678]Gfitz911[/MENTION] oooo that's a really good question... I wonder if it is...with his less motivation I would try. [MENTION=1251]Tracey[/MENTION]_t see I like that ...he grazes his food.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
Bella is a gubble gut, eats as fast as she can so no on her! stella, it takes her all dang day to eat one bowl of food, i swear she does it to see if bella is gonna try to get some of it so she can jump on her haha

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
We may start free feeding June in the near future... not sure if she's just going through a phase or not but we have always given her 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. The last week or so it seems she has just not been interested in breakfast... May be because i've been home after gallbladder surgery and she's just feeling sympathetic but I don't know. She will eat a little and then not again until around lunch time. She eats dinner normally but sometimes leaves extra. She's never been one to run to her food bowl to eat so I just chalked it up to her maturing and taking her time. I may start putting both cups of food in her bowl in the morning and letting her eat it throughout the day.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.