Whats Behind Your Dog's Whining and Whimpering?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Canine Whining Decoded: What’s Behind Your Dog’s Whimper?

by VETDEPOT on MAY 22, 2014

From anxiety, to pain, to attention seeking, a dog’s whine can mean several different things. Whining is one of many forms of canine communication, and it’s important for owners to try to understand what their dog is trying to say. Below are explanations behind a few types of canine whining:

•Whining while greeting: When dogs lets out a whimper when saying hello to their favorite people, it’s likely they’re just vocalizing excitement.

•Attention seeking: Some dogs will whine when they want attention, treats, or other desirable things.

•Anxiety: When accompanied by panting, an elevated heart rate, or other signs of agitation, whining can sometimes be a symptom of anxiety.

•Separation anxiety: When dogs whine in their owner’s absence, there’s a good chance they’re experiencing separation anxiety. Other separation anxiety clues include destructive behavior, urinating or defecating indoors, panting, and excessive drooling.

•Appeasement: Sometimes, dogs will whine to appease other, perhaps more aggressive dogs. Appeasement whining is often accompanied by other submissive behaviors like a tucked tail and an averted gaze.

•Pain or discomfort: Sudden vocalizations are a red flag that a dog is experiencing an injury or a painful medical condition. Sudden or frequent whining should be addressed by a veterinarian right away.

If whining becomes excessive and all medical conditions have been ruled out, there are a few things owners can do to appease their canine companion. If excessive whining occurs during greetings, owners can try to divert their dog’s attention with a toy. Also, the calmer everyone else remains during greetings, the quicker a dog will be able to find composure.

Attention seeking whiners need to learn that behaving well will get them more of a reaction than pushy behavior. Owners can reinforce this by offering rewards for quiet behavior, and conversely, ignoring any whining.

- See more at: http://blog.vetdepot.com/canine-whining-decoded-whats-behind-your-dogs-whimper#sthash.vdj1U7eK.dpuf

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Meatball always whines when my hubby pulls up from work or the school bus comes to drop the girls off. He whines because of excitement/happy to see them. Great article

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Mia whines for my kids after they come from school. Loves seeing them pull up and can't wait to greet them.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Elmo whines when one of the other dogs has a bone or toy that he wants.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.