What age did your Bully companionship really begin to flourish?

B

Baxter Tiberius

Before you say "The whole time!" - hear me out lol. Puppy-hood, training, youthful infections, periodic health issues, and all that stuff that comes with being a puppy .... is fading away ... And I am noticing more and more, as he reaches the 1 year mark, that he is becoming much more established, well behaved, healthy, and happy.

Of course I adored him from the first day he came home. But lately I can tell he's becoming quite the little gentleman. His personality is developing. Our communication is getting better and better. He truly seems to have learned words, and understands things I say now (basic). This is resulting in a much more rewarding experience for me, and I am quickly bonding with him more than ever. Prior to this - you know how it is - they are a puppy. They have little awareness of their surroundings, they're just romping around, pooping, peeing, biting, coughing, sneezing, crying, etc...

All that seems to be fading away. This has resulted in kind of a "sweet spot" that I think will continue to get sweeter.

What age did your bully really settle into things and you started to get that sense of mature peaceful companionship with the little one? I suppose the potty training was done, childhood naughty behaviors had passed,and you got into a "groove" where you were just enjoying eachothers company, and the rewards of having a *companion* really started to show?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
14 weeks, he was past potty training and the pneumonia and really settled into the whole companionship model that he is.

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
This just gave me hope for my puppy. I love Mia but man can she get into a lot and shark mode is not fun for me or my kids. Can't wait. Thanks for this thread.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I would honestly have to say around 16 weeks. We had a great bond before then, but right about about 16 weeks everything started to click. No more accidents in the house, the shark phase pretty much ended, manners had improved greatly and she just started following me around all the time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So, wish I could remember, but being my two (Nitschke has passed) and Banbks is nearing 9 years... it is difficult to pull from memory when it happen. Nitschke were we very lucky as he was so well behaved as a pup and never really hit the 'toddler years', he always had an 'old soul'. Banks,well, she is 8.5 going on 2.... she still pushes the limits and challenges us daily, it is just who she is but she is very well behaved and listens to us as long as we stay on course with her daily schedule, routine and training... we can not waiver from her training as she would take over for sure.

Cheli... our Frenchie, is just starting to get into 'groove' and he is 3 years old -- he still is a challenge with listening to commands, but it is slowly coming around.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I love how well written your post is! We got Ruthie at 9 months but it took me and her a good year to settle into each other. I feel right now with her we are most bonded. Since we got Brutus it's been kinda hard on her, but we are in a groove now. She's my pal and there is no doubt she is my dog. Even as i type this she's snuggle up in between my legs. Brutus on the other hand, is well, Brutus. He marches to the beat of his own drum. He bonded with my husband quick but me and him are still working on it. He loves me, i love him, but it has not gone deeper than that cause of Ruthie. is that my fault, yes, but we will get there. We respect each other but he's not out of his "not listening" phase yet.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Frankie is a work in progress, but I fell like lately he is really coming into his own. He listens and isn't nipping as much as he was. It is almost like I could physically see his whole body relax. He knows he is home!! Frankie will be 3yrs old on June 10th. Brutus on the other hand, is a good boy, he is just a handful. He has a very strong personality so I feel like christine, when I say if we don't constantly have our training hats on, he will take advantage. Brutus is 1yr and 6mos so he is still a baby. I love when he gets stubborn and defiant though. I love his strong personality. It is what makes him my baby Brutus!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I love how well written your post is! We got Ruthie at 9 months but it took me and her a good year to settle into each other. I feel right now with her we are most bonded. Since we got Brutus it's been kinda hard on her, but we are in a groove now. She's my pal and there is no doubt she is my dog. Even as i type this she's snuggle up in between my legs. Brutus on the other hand, is well, Brutus. He marches to the beat of his own drum. He bonded with my husband quick but me and him are still working on it. He loves me, i love him, but it has not gone deeper than that cause of Ruthie. is that my fault, yes, but we will get there. We respect each other but he's not out of his "not listening" phase yet.
It's funny how you think he will "outgrow" his not listening phase!!! I warned you about the name, just sayin......lol

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
My Meatball is a handful, and I do mean handful!!! He's 2 and I think we are just starting to understand each other. He bonded with my hubby right away as a pup. Me on the other hand was a different story. Now Meatball ADORES me and I adore him! However it is still a work in progress:)

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I've enjoyed every stage of having Nigel but I must say from his 2nd year on we've been in the groove as you would say...He learned to sleep with me and never had an accident and there's nothing better than when they listen to what you're telling them. They really do understand. So although I loved puppy stage and being able to carry him I must admit I do love adulthood when you know each other so well.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
It's funny how you think he will "outgrow" his not listening phase!!! I warned you about the name, just sayin......lol
hahahahaha I know, i'm fooling myself. I love his independence, badness and just overall i do what i want demeanor, but damn it dog, listen just once in a while LOLOLOLOL.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This thread makes me sad :( Winston & I had really hit our groove, I would say about 10 mos… and I will never know how things "could have been". I know that I will have a great relationship w/Walter, it will be different and that's OK!!! I would say at a year they start to mellow out, and get comfortable w/rules of the home.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I would have to say 3 - 4 months maybe a little older as Ftse was a real little :poo: but I still loved him

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I would say about a month after I found this site! That was 4 years ago. Vegas was 1 and so ate up with allergies, open sores, ear infections etc....THEN I found this site and all was on the right path. So I would say from the age of 1-2.

Smushface

May 26, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Abrams
Such a good thread! I cant wait for this to start happening. Im spoiled with our chihuahua mix, hes so good and loving. Abrams is stil a wrecking ball lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online