Dozer fell in the pool today.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
We were at the ocean a few years ago and Vegas and I were just walking on the beach. It was in an alcove and I really didn't think anything of it. He had a vest on.....just because I'd rather be safe than sorry. Good thing......a huge wave came in and not only knocked me over but took Vegas out some. I was so freaked out......he must have been too. I was actually shooting video at the time....I should see if I can find it. That night he had a grand mal seizure. Scary stuff. It doesn't even have to be a pool. We were walking along the river one summer and Vegas saw a stick floating by....he stepped into the water to get it....but it was a drop off. The river wanted to take him downstream and I had nothing to stop it from doing that except his collar. So I was desperately holding his collar while trying to get him back on the bank of the river. His collar was starting to slip over his head. I was screaming and crying....but I was alone. NEVER AGAIN. This happened before the ocean....but it can unexpectedly happen at any time near any type of water. Glad everything worked out...!

I feel panic just reading about the river incident:( maybe my dream of taking my kids to the sea is overrated...

Bennie fell in the pool once when he was a puppy, it all happened so fast. Luckily I was right there so I could just reach down to grab him. He was fully under water, his eyes were opened and I saw he was scared:*( We don't have a pool now, and that's probably best for my heart:)

Glad Dozer is OK<3

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I feel panic just reading about the river incident:( maybe my dream of taking my kids to the sea is overrated...

Bennie fell in the pool once when he was a puppy, it all happened so fast. Luckily I was right there so I could just reach down to grab him. He was fully under water, his eyes were opened and I saw he was scared:*( We don't have a pool now, and that's probably best for my heart:)

Glad Dozer is OK<3

One thing about Vegas is he's always needed help up. Whether it's on the bed or on the couch and he's learned to push his head backwards to get more leveraged so when I had his collar he was literally trying to push backwards into my hands to get more leverage to get up on the bank so it really helped out. It's probably hard to envision what I'm trying to describe but instead of making it easier for his collar to slip off his neck he made it harder and that's probably what saved us that day. I cringe just thinking about what could have happened. Although the river wasn't that deep I am not an experienced swimmer

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I hear you on the vest, Rocco sinks like a rock lol.

Actually a few weeks back, we were at my parent's house. Their pool cover was originally advertised as being strong enough to hold an elephant. Well, 15 years of brutal winters and wear and tear, it has weakened. Rocco was walking across it and his back legs fell through the pool cover! My sister and fiance were outside with him and luckily he did not fall all the way through! I heard them scream then ran outside to see them pulling him out. Rocco didn't even seem to notice that anything had happened and just sat there, with his back half in the pool and his top half on the cover. I can laugh about it now but it was a scary moment! Needless to say, the pool cover has seen its last winter and is being replaced after the season.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
One thing about Vegas is he's always needed help up. Whether it's on the bed or on the couch and he's learned to push his head backwards to get more leveraged so when I had his collar he was literally trying to push backwards into my hands to get more leverage to get up on the bank so it really helped out. It's probably hard to envision what I'm trying to describe but instead of making it easier for his collar to slip off his neck he made it harder and that's probably what saved us that day. I cringe just thinking about what could have happened. Although the river wasn't that deep I am not an experienced swimmer

Moving water is always scary:fie: I personally don't like it at all. I'm used to the quiet ocean from the east coast of Sweden, no waves or undercurrents. Glad Vegas knew how to help you:) I think I'll skip the doggie/ocean holiday dream...

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Our pool has been empty since we have had Arnold and Bertha but filling it next week. We have life vests for them but still worry. I do have mechanical pool cover so that is nice and safe but after reading these stories, the bullies will be kenneled when the pool is open. No way I could get 70 pound Arnold out of the deep end

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I have literal nightmares about Winston sinking out of sight in deep water.

When he was a puppy we took him to the ocean, and he played on the beach and loved every minute of it. He fortunately wasn't so fond of the water or the wave action so he stayed out of it. In fact, we have a hard time getting him to use his little kiddie pool with two inches of water in the bottom of it.

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
This all freaks me out so bad. My mom lives on a lake and much to my dismay she will NOT get a fence around the open water for my baby. I take him out there to potty and play bulldog herder the whole time. I don't think he'd run out there in the water intentionally because he hates a bath... But he an get scared an runs the other way while looking opposite direction. So I'm alway freaking out- but hearing all these stories I'm really glad we don't have a pool or ocean to play in!! I have thought lately about getting dexter a baby pool but I'm pretty sure he'd think it was torture. I might try it anyway lol

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
We do not have a pool, thank goodness, I am not a swimmer, Elmo does has a baby pool, but I do not fill it up much at all.

SirJoseph

Feb 16, 2014
Northern Nevada
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Joseph AKA JOE
This happened to my son Chris when he was 2. We were BBQ'ing and I was RIGHT there with him. He wanted to bbq with dad. We had all just gotten out of the pool and the cover was not yet on it. We had one of those tension nets that goes over the top. I told Chris not to go near the pool and he was staying by my side hanging out. I turned to pick up a spatula and he was gone. He had stepped too close to the pool and slipped down in between the pool wall and the solar blanket, so he was under the solar blanket at the bottom of the pool. I fished him out and he was OK. He was only in the water for a few seconds. The thing that spooked me the most about that ordeal was that there was no sound whatsoever. No splash, no noise, no nothing. A few second differential either way and that day could have ended in tragedy but thanks to God it did not. I could have lost my son that day in a split second. Not long after that I saw a bumper sticker that stuck with me..."Children drown without a sound, watch the water." So true. My son is almost 16 now and a typical pain in the butt teenager. :)

Watch the water.

OP
BuddercupKelly

BuddercupKelly

Jan 5, 2014
Citrus County, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Yeah, everywhere I have looked for a vest has not worked out, but I am going to try Chumley's recommendation next. Dozer tries to swim and loves the water. I won't let my hubby taking him fishing with him because we don't have a good life vest for him yet.

Most Reactions