Ideal Weather for Bulldogs

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I know these dogs are very sensitive when it comes to hot weather . In my area, temps reach over 100 degrees in summer . Does anyone know what is the ideal state to raise an English Bulldog, just wondering .

I use my AC to keep Porkie cool. This week, it be 90 degrees , no fun lol

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I don't know which state would be ideal, but we here have very hot weather in summer. This coming week is going to be near 90's. Sometimes I wouldn't normally need the A/C for myself-but I have it on for the dogs!
To be ideal, I guess you would have to have two homes-winter and summer, in two states! Also they each have a little fan on their crate(where they sleep at night)

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't know which state would be ideal, but we here have very hot weather in summer. This coming week is going to be near 90's. Sometimes I wouldn't normally need the A/C for myself-but I have it on for the dogs!
To be ideal, I guess you would have to have two homes-winter and summer, in two states! Also they each have a little fan on their crate(where they sleep at night)

I was thinking of buying her fan to keep her cool. I had Oregon and Washington state might be fitting . I thought of the rain might be an issue. In the meantime , we are in Cali.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I am from Scotland. We think summer time is a cloudy day, we wear no tops in the rain lol

When it is hot you can cool your baby down with the garden hose, Also freezing fruit into bone shapes also helps to cool them down when there chomping through it
R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I was thinking of buying her fan to keep her cool. I had Oregon and Washington state might be fitting . I thought of the rain might be an issue. In the meantime , we are in Cali.

I bought small metal fans at the Dollar store($10.00). They have a metal stand attached. Instead of using it as a stand, I hung it on the crate door with fan on inside at the top. These were called "personal fans" Other fans I have seen for dogs were more money and battery operated.
these are electric-when crate door is closed wire is not accessible to the dog. The bigger dogs have fans I sit on the floor outside their crate.

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am from Scotland. We think summer time is a cloudy day, we wear no tops in the rain lol

When it is hot you can cool your baby down with the garden hose, Also freezing fruit into bone shapes also helps to cool them down when there chomping through it
R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Must be nice, your EBD must be delighted lol I know Porkie smiles and chipper mood when we get those cloudy days. My dad said, she's very English lol

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
The trainer we went urged us to take Walley-Bubba outside for a few minutes when the weather is warm.
That's not to say leave him outside in the heat all day.
Just a few minutes.
To get him acclimated.
Why?
Well, what happens when the A/C goes kaput???
He will be OK if acclimated.
If not acclimated, then OH DEAR!
Not saying walk him on a really hot day.
Just get him used to the heat a little bit at a time.
So far, he is mastering it quite well.
Biggest concern - he still goes ballistic over hoovers and carpet cleaners... I can't hold him!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You can raise them just about anywhere, as long as you have A/C. I don't know if there is any ideal place to raise one.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Scottish people see that little sun we put suntan lotion on in the snow :p

LOL, we visited my Brother in The Trossocs a few years ago and again in Kent last December when they had all the floods in Maidstone and beyond. .
Even if the sun does shine, I'd say the biggest problem you have is finding a suntan lotion that doesn't warsh off in all the rain you get.
Still, it's probably more ideal Bulldog weather than we get here in California, hence the need to acclimate our pups.
But we sure could use the rain!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can raise them just about anywhere, as long as you have A/C. I don't know if there is any ideal place to raise one.

I was thinking the same thing.... can't think of an 'ideal' place either

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.