Soft poop and the bland diet

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
Bosco's poop turned extremely wet/watery earlier this week. Not uncontrollable diarrhea or anything but when he pooped it was just really watery and unformed. We put him on the bland diet and the vet gave us metronidazole tablets to give him twice a day, in case it's giardia or something.

It's been about 4 days now of him being on the bland diet/antibiotics, and he only poops about once a day but it's still watery! :mellow: In the past, after being on the bland diet for just 1 or 2 days his poop normally firms right up - but that's not the case right now for some reason. I'm not sure what's wrong with him - he's still being his usual/active self so I don't think he's sick or anything.

I'd really like to avoid another vet visit if possible. Any suggestions on how to firm up his poop? or what the issue might be?

:unsure:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Try giving him canned pumpkin. Pure pumpkin-NOT pie mix. It should help firm-it is fiber. You can give him some plain yogurt each day-1 or 2 tbsp. it replaces the good bacteria that antibiotics kill.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Definitely what Lynn said w/the pure pumpkin. Try not to worry too much right now...the metronidazole could also be contributing to the loose stool. As long as Bosco is drinking water regularly and eating okay, and try to have him rest more if possible. For the bland diet, is it rice and ground beef? try to take the fat out of the beef for now as that can also contribute to loose poops.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some great advice above. Hope your baby gets better soon.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor boy! How old is he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Try giving him canned pumpkin. Pure pumpkin-NOT pie mix. It should help firm-it is fiber. You can give him some plain yogurt each day-1 or 2 tbsp. it replaces the good bacteria that antibiotics kill.

agreed! hoping your boy feels better soon

OP
BoscosMom

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
Thanks guys! I tried the pure pumpkin/yogurt and his poop has firmed up today! :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.