Titer testing

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
There was a thread started about Vaccinations on here recently and the term Titer (pronounced Tight er) testing was brought up. If you're thinking about not vaccinating your Bulldog ever, this might be a good test to take first just to make sure your Bulldog DOES have the immunity system to deal with all of the killer diseases out there. Just something to keep in mind and I know there are many that will disagree with me but I think of Bulldogs like little kids and little kids must have boosters given to prevent killer diseases from attacking them during their life time and that's a big reason why polio and small pox was virtually wiped out in this country but is now making a comeback because of a certain attitude held by many and flat out ignorance that believe that vaccines are not necessary.. I don't understand that thinking.

This is a great link to an article about the Titer test http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2008/10/22/titer-test/

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Thanks for the post Phil. I wish we could do titer testing here. I am all for vaccinating but not over vaccinating.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with what you say Todd, and I'm of the same thinking, vaccinations are a necessary thing to keep our dogs healthy, and I totally believe the puppy vaccinations and boosters are important and needed, plus leptovirus, as this is one virus that is passed from the urine of wildlife like raccoons, skunks, squirrels, etc and is one of the viruses that can also be passed on to humans. Also rabies is important, and is the law. I would feel really terrible if my babies were to contract a disease or a virus and get sick, when there was a vaccination to prevent it. I do question though how often they need to be vaccinated, there is a 3 year rabies shot which would eliminate having to vaccinate every year, which reduce the number of times they would be vaccinated. I wonder if every vaccination is necessary every year, or can they go longer, reducing their exposure to so many vaccinations?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The current recommendation is: The one year booster (after the initial vaccines), and then every three years for the DHPP booster. Those are the core vaccines.
We recently did the three year rabies shot and the bordetella booster.

I'm waiting a little while longer on the DHPP booster since it's allergy season and Blue's not handling it well. But I will do the 1 year booster soon, then wait 3 years, do a titer and go from there.
[MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] thanks for starting this thread. it's important people are aware that giving boosters every year is a thing of the past. Any vet that keeps up with changes in their field, is aware that yearly boosters are no longer the norm.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
My problem isn't the vets pushing it. Its the archaic laws in my area mandating them and the fines if you don't.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I believe in doing the puppy shots through 16 weeks of age and we also do the yearly shots, but the more I read the more I am thinking of looking in to the titer test, especially for our older girls. I would never stop the shots for one that we are showing, as there are always risks at dog shows.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My problem isn't the vets pushing it. Its the archaic laws in my area mandating them and the fines if you don't.

What law? Aside from Rabies, I don't believe any state mandates the DHPP booster. And even Texas allows the Rabies booster every three years.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] I looked it up for you. Texas mandates the 1 year rabies booster (i think all or most states do), then every 3 years. They don't require anything else.

From the Texas Department of State Health Services ( https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/disease/rabies/vaccine/pets/ )[h=1][/h][h=1]Pet Vaccination Requirements[/h]The state of Texas requires that dogs and cats be vaccinated against rabies by 4 months of age and on a 1 year or 3 year basis thereafter depending on the type of vaccine used.* Additionally, when traveling with a dog or cat, have in your possession a rabies vaccination certificate that was signed by a veterinarian. Check with your veterinarian about other vaccines that are available for a wide range of diseases.

All dogs and cats over 3 months of age that are being transported into Texas must have been vaccinated against rabies within the last 12 or 36 months depending on the type of vaccine used.*

Although not required by law, it is recommended that livestock (especially those that have frequent contact with humans), domestic ferrets, and wolf-dog hybrids should be vaccinated against rabies. Again, check with your veterinarian about other available vaccines for these animals.

For an animal to be considered currently vaccinated against rabies, at least 30 days must have elapsed since the initial vaccination and not more than 12 or 36 months (depending on the vaccine used)* can have elapsed since the last vaccination.

* All dogs and cats must receive a second rabies vaccination within one year of receiving their first vaccination, regardless of the type of vaccine used or the age at which the animal was initially vaccinated.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Thank you. Yep. Well aware of that one. Standard like most other states. Things are slowly changing here as but not fast enough. All states, counties and cities should allow the titers and not be of the mindset that the only protected dog is a yearly vaccinated one.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks, Phil.... interesting info for sure.

OP
D

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think the rabies law is a good law.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.