Some things that make me sad

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Yesterday I decided it was a good day to replenish my dog toy stock and stopped into the local pet store. While in line with my arms full of toys I stood right behind a woman with an EB - all white male. While I was staring at him I noticed he barely had any fur, tear stains, hotspots/yeast around his tails and some area on his body. I know nothing about this dog so I kept my thoughts about maintenance to myself - for all I know this is just an issue this particular EB has. Who am I to judge.

The owner looked at me. I smiled and said I have an all white one too. She asked how old he was. I said about 10 months. She said hers is 11 years; they're a lot of fun. I agreed and mentioned that Curls is 70 lbs. She was shocked (like most people are) and I explained that he is just bulkier. Then - this is the part that made me sad - she said that her EB's son was bigger than him and then his daughter is really small. I asked when the last time she bred him. She said his last litter was 9 years and she hoped that she would be able to bred him one more time. All I could think about was his skin issues and how irresponsible it was to continue to breed that EB. I didn't weigh in my opinion. What was I suppose to say - give a moral lesson to a complete stranger? It was her turn in line and she left the store and invited me to go to the dog park with her the following day with a bunch of other people. Needless to say I didn't go but I haven't stopped thinking about her since.

I really feel like I should start stalking that park and find out her information to warn other people about her. Unfortunately, I just feel that too many people don't do research so she will still win in the long run (i.e. she will still be able to sell any future litters). sigh.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agreed... very sad. Ihave been in a similar situation at a store -- took all I had in me not to open my mouth.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Next time say something like suggesting our forum to her or him for tips on getting a bully back to his healthy beautiful self if it's obvious they're dealing with skin issues among other things. We have so much info to share they may be really thankful!

Just a friendly suggestion...Enjoy your bully today!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
You are a better person than me cause i would have ran my big, fat mouth. That poor baby...he's probably miserable, breaks my heart.

msericathatcher

Apr 18, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
You are a better person than me cause i would have ran my big, fat mouth. That poor baby...he's probably miserable, breaks my heart.

This is would have been me too! Annnnnyone who even says they want one or want to breed theirs I go into this big information speech...they aren't easy dogs....and I couldn't imagine the breeding aspect being very easy either

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Next time say something like suggesting our forum to her or him for tips on getting a bully back to his healthy beautiful self if it's obvious they're dealing with skin issues among other things. We have so much info to share they may be really thankful!

I probably would have went this route. If you really care about your dog you take care of their needs. Obviously she didn't care but I would suggest the site and then point out what I saw on the dog (so she got the hint). Not to be mean but poor dog just cause she wants to be lazy and only cares about the money from this dog. Sad.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Xactly! :2thumbs:

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Several times when I meet EB puppies and the owners ask me for advice I always recommend this forum because it has been really helpful in the care of all my dogs - non-EBs too.

I thought about suggesting the site to her too but I was also afraid it would also mean exchanging numbers etc. which I really wouldn't care to do - I just didn't want to get to that level with her. We should have cards we can distribute LOL. Joking aside, I rarely give unsolicited advice to strangers because I believe if they don't ask, they won't listen/care. IMO since she still wanted to breed her boy, it just didn't seem that she would care enough to resolve his skin issues. I guess that's just me being judgey.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Several times when I meet EB puppies and the owners ask me for advice I always recommend this forum because it has been really helpful in the care of all my dogs - non-EBs too.

I thought about suggesting the site to her too but I was also afraid it would also mean exchanging numbers etc. which I really wouldn't care to do - I just didn't want to get to that level with her. We should have cards we can distribute LOL. Joking aside, I rarely give unsolicited advice to strangers because I believe if they don't ask, they won't listen/care. IMO since she still wanted to breed her boy, it just didn't seem that she would care enough to resolve his skin issues. I guess that's just me being judgey.

I don't think you're being judgey and I would definitely not like to get into a phone number exchange with anyone in L.A.. Believe it or not we do have bizness cards.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula

Great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
I got Colossus neutered because he was a drop off and I didnt know his bloodlines. Hes a dream of a bully, perfect etc etc (so says the vet and everyone else), but no knowing his true history I didnt want to take that chance :(.

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
Breeding requires a level of professionalism beyond the skill level of the average of the average owner. I don't think she understands just how difficult it is to do well. I am Mr. spay and neuter.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
The problem is, sometimes you can't fix stupid. Why someone would want to continue all those problems is beyond me. Our sweet Mabel has so many problems and the fool who had her bred her at least four times. My guess is she was the result of bad genes and passed them on. I wonder how any of her puppies are in foster care, in shelters, are not having their health care needs met, or, even worse--have been euthanized. It makes me furious.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.