Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Other Chicken Sh*** Out There Last Night?

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Any Other Chicken Sh*** Out There Last Night?

It was Victoria Day on Monday, here in Canada, so we celebrated and enjoyed a long weekend. On Sunday and Monday many people were setting off Fireworks, and my little chicken sh**, Dozer was a shaking ball of mess, and wanted to crawl up beside me. Lol. He was okay for the most part when he was inside, but there were a couple of times when the neighbours were setting them off either in the complex or in their backyards, so the noise was a little closer, and he was scared. I made sure to take him out earlier in the evening after dinner, so he wouldn't have to go out when it was dark and the fireworks had started. Luckily on Victoria Day they don't use as many fireworks as they do for Canada Day which is celebrated on July 1st, so I have a couple of months before I have to worry about this again. I feel so bad for my little guy, he's so afraid of so many things. He doesn't even like to go outside when it rains. His sister Blossom is the total opposite, she doesn't get scared or shake, but she gets very vocal, and will bark at noises, like the fireworks, knocks at the door, thunder. She growls at these noises. Lol. Does anyone else have a really nervous bully when it comes to loud noises like thunder and fireworks?, and what do you do to minimize the nervousness?
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bully Bootie Duty msericathatcher's Avatar
    Real Name
    erica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Any Other Chicken Sh*** Out There Last Night?

Aw your poor little dude!

You you can try giving him and her melatonin. Though with any suggestion I would chit chat with the vet too

http://canigivemydog.com/melatonin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi Erica, thanks for this information, I had never heard of using Melatonin for fear and anxiety instead of a tranquilizer. Ithought Melatonin was onlybused to help with sleeping. I would never use a tranquilizer every time Dozer had a episode of fear, unless it was really severe, and it was the only alternative, there are so many side effects to medications, but I do like the idea of using Melatonin, as it is a more natural supplement.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

Lol. Your full of sympathy.

I had a dog that was scared of fire works. The vet gave us tabs to chill the dog out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Harlea barks at fireworks and runs from thunder. Go figure. To help her out around the loud holidays or bad storms we will put a t-shirt or her harness on her and it helps to calm her down.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Bully Bootie Duty msericathatcher's Avatar
    Real Name
    erica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi Erica, thanks for this information, I had never heard of using Melatonin for fear and anxiety instead of a tranquilizer. Ithought Melatonin was onlybused to help with sleeping. I would never use a tranquilizer every time Dozer had a episode of fear, unless it was really severe, and it was the only alternative, there are so many side effects to medications, but I do like the idea of using Melatonin, as it is a more natural supplement.

you are welcome! I did a lot of research on separation anxiety for one of my clients- they hated the idea of having to give their pup medication every day and that was one of the solutions. They use it a lot with retired police dogs a lot to help them be in non-working mode. There are also a lot of other health benefits of melatonin too for dogs. Also if you don't mind the smell of lavender - the fabreeze sleepy time spray will soothe them down a bit or even having a candle burn.

Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

That is so awesome, I will definitely try the Melatonin, can I use a Melatonin over the counter from the drugstore, or health food store like GNC, or Nutrition House, or do I need to get a prescription from the vet? Do you know what the dose would be, and would you give this to him all the time, or only for a period of time, or only when he's nervous or afraid?

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

awww..the poor baby
    Here in KY we set off fireworks from Memorial day until Labor Day...it's non-stop. Ruthie just barks. I'm not sure about Brutus yet. My neighbors dog is terrified of Thunder and fireworks, they put her in their bedroom, shut the door and sit with her. I have heard those thunder shirts work really well. http://www.thundershirt.com/?gclid=C...FaY-MgodFQgAjg

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

I was very nervous for us to start getting thunder storms as jovi is literally scared of everything. I have yet to encounter fireworks BUT the other night we had a huge thunderstorm while sleeping and jovi jumped up and did her normal growl and bark in full attack mode because she heard the noise and it scared her and she has to protect us but then i layed her back down and she slept the rest of the night while it was thundering. so it went GREAT. let me tell you, i was shocked!!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nigel Wentworth Sinclair & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

My Nigel is a fraidy cat but I just comfort him and reassure him that Mommy won't let anything get him or hurt him. We don't get fireworks around here but he's scared of other things like the gates I use to block the stairs - when they fall especially the noise startles him.

Cheerio mates!

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JennieS View Post
    awww..the poor baby
    Here in KY we set off fireworks from Memorial day until Labor Day...it's non-stop. Ruthie just barks. I'm not sure about Brutus yet. My neighbors dog is terrified of Thunder and fireworks, they put her in their bedroom, shut the door and sit with her. I have heard those thunder shirts work really well. http://www.thundershirt.com/?gclid=C...FaY-MgodFQgAjg
    I,too was going to suggest a "thundershirt". I have been told that they really do work. I would certainly get one if I had a dog who was timid. They are worth the price!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I would suggest the Thundershirt too
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads