Any Other Chicken Sh*** Out There Last Night?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It was Victoria Day on Monday, here in Canada, so we celebrated and enjoyed a long weekend. On Sunday and Monday many people were setting off Fireworks, and my little chicken sh**, Dozer was a shaking ball of mess, and wanted to crawl up beside me. Lol. He was okay for the most part when he was inside, but there were a couple of times when the neighbours were setting them off either in the complex or in their backyards, so the noise was a little closer, and he was scared. I made sure to take him out earlier in the evening after dinner, so he wouldn't have to go out when it was dark and the fireworks had started. Luckily on Victoria Day they don't use as many fireworks as they do for Canada Day which is celebrated on July 1st, so I have a couple of months before I have to worry about this again. I feel so bad for my little guy, he's so afraid of so many things. He doesn't even like to go outside when it rains. His sister Blossom is the total opposite, she doesn't get scared or shake, but she gets very vocal, and will bark at noises, like the fireworks, knocks at the door, thunder. She growls at these noises. Lol. Does anyone else have a really nervous bully when it comes to loud noises like thunder and fireworks?, and what do you do to minimize the nervousness?

msericathatcher

Apr 18, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Aw your poor little dude!

You you can try giving him and her melatonin. Though with any suggestion I would chit chat with the vet too :)

http://canigivemydog.com/melatonin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 142
OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Erica, thanks for this information, I had never heard of using Melatonin for fear and anxiety instead of a tranquilizer. Ithought Melatonin was onlybused to help with sleeping. I would never use a tranquilizer every time Dozer had a episode of fear, unless it was really severe, and it was the only alternative, there are so many side effects to medications, but I do like the idea of using Melatonin, as it is a more natural supplement.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Lol. Your full of sympathy.

I had a dog that was scared of fire works. The vet gave us tabs to chill the dog out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea barks at fireworks and runs from thunder. Go figure. To help her out around the loud holidays or bad storms we will put a t-shirt or her harness on her and it helps to calm her down.

msericathatcher

Apr 18, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Hi Erica, thanks for this information, I had never heard of using Melatonin for fear and anxiety instead of a tranquilizer. Ithought Melatonin was onlybused to help with sleeping. I would never use a tranquilizer every time Dozer had a episode of fear, unless it was really severe, and it was the only alternative, there are so many side effects to medications, but I do like the idea of using Melatonin, as it is a more natural supplement.

you are welcome! I did a lot of research on separation anxiety for one of my clients- they hated the idea of having to give their pup medication every day and that was one of the solutions. They use it a lot with retired police dogs a lot to help them be in non-working mode. There are also a lot of other health benefits of melatonin too for dogs. Also if you don't mind the smell of lavender - the fabreeze sleepy time spray will soothe them down a bit or even having a candle burn.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
That is so awesome, I will definitely try the Melatonin, can I use a Melatonin over the counter from the drugstore, or health food store like GNC, or Nutrition House, or do I need to get a prescription from the vet? Do you know what the dose would be, and would you give this to him all the time, or only for a period of time, or only when he's nervous or afraid?

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
awww..the poor baby :(
Here in KY we set off fireworks from Memorial day until Labor Day...it's non-stop. Ruthie just barks. I'm not sure about Brutus yet. My neighbors dog is terrified of Thunder and fireworks, they put her in their bedroom, shut the door and sit with her. I have heard those thunder shirts work really well. http://www.thundershirt.com/?gclid=CJPQ8JPSur4CFaY-MgodFQgAjg

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I was very nervous for us to start getting thunder storms as jovi is literally scared of everything. I have yet to encounter fireworks BUT the other night we had a huge thunderstorm while sleeping and jovi jumped up and did her normal growl and bark in full attack mode because she heard the noise and it scared her and she has to protect us but then i layed her back down and she slept the rest of the night while it was thundering. so it went GREAT. let me tell you, i was shocked!!

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
My Nigel is a fraidy cat but I just comfort him and reassure him that Mommy won't let anything get him or hurt him. We don't get fireworks around here but he's scared of other things like the gates I use to block the stairs - when they fall especially the noise startles him.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
awww..the poor baby :(
Here in KY we set off fireworks from Memorial day until Labor Day...it's non-stop. Ruthie just barks. I'm not sure about Brutus yet. My neighbors dog is terrified of Thunder and fireworks, they put her in their bedroom, shut the door and sit with her. I have heard those thunder shirts work really well. http://www.thundershirt.com/?gclid=CJPQ8JPSur4CFaY-MgodFQgAjg

I,too was going to suggest a "thundershirt". I have been told that they really do work. I would certainly get one if I had a dog who was timid. They are worth the price!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would suggest the Thundershirt too

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Aww poor Dozer!!! I HATE damn fireworks, so many dogs run off and get lost… I'm not sure how Wally will do, Winston would sleep straight thru them… LOL

msericathatcher

Apr 18, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
That is so awesome, I will definitely try the Melatonin, can I use a Melatonin over the counter from the drugstore, or health food store like GNC, or Nutrition House, or do I need to get a prescription from the vet? Do you know what the dose would be, and would you give this to him all the time, or only for a period of time, or only when he's nervous or afraid?

You can indeed purchase melatonin over the counter at any vitamin store- no problem. The suggested amount is 3 mg for every 35 to 100 lbs - 3x a day. I would suggest since it's more the loud noises of the fire works freaking him out start at the beginning of the day with one and 6 hours-8 hours later another one. I wouldn't give it to him all the time for the reason of tolerance just like humans. They do sell a doggie version of it at pet stores. There are multiple brands to try. I do suggest talking to your vet about it- just ease your mind and make sure for proper dosage and more medical information. Just incase.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks so much for the information, I will definitely try it. I like the idea of it being more natural, rather than medicating him with tranquilizers or sedatives, I don't want Zombie dogs.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.