Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[h=1]1,000 dog deaths[/h] Published May 19, 2014FoxNews.com

Facebook7721 Twitter949 Gplus0
sickdogs12.jpg
Reuters

More than 1,000 dog deaths may now be linked to toxic jerky treats, according to a recent update from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
The agency said that since 2007, there have been almost 5,000 complaints of pet illnesses related to the treats. The majority of the symptoms reported include gastrointestinal or liver disease, and about a third were linked to kidney and urinary disease.
About 10 percent of the illnesses included other signs such as neurologic, dermatologic, and immunologic symptoms, and about 15 percent of the kidney and urinary disease cases also tested positive for Fanconi syndrome – a rare kidney disease also associated with the pet deaths.
The FDA is still unsure of the specific cause for the reported illnesses and deaths, but most cases reportedly occurred after the pets had eaten chicken, duck or sweet potato jerky treats imported from China. No specific brands were recalled in the FDA's latest release, but Dr. Jonathan Levine, an associate veterinarian at Blue Pearl Veterinary Partners in New York City, said owners should always check the labels of whatever foods they give their pets.
“Always be aware of what you're buying and where it's coming from,” Levine said.
Yet that may not always be enough to keep pets safe; products stamped “Made in the USA” could still contain ingredients sourced from China or other countries, the FDA warned.
In 2007, some pet food companies voluntarily removed some jerky treats from the market. But, at the time, the FDA said it didn't want to issue a recall without a definitive cause. Those products included Milo's Kitchen Chicken Jerky Treats and Chicken Grillers, made by Del Monte, and Waggin' Train and Canyon Creek Ranch dog treats, made by Nestle Purina.
The FDA has partnered with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to figure out what foods may be contributing to pet disease. The study will compare the foods eaten by sick dogs to those eaten by dogs who haven’t gotten sick, in order to determine if the jerky is really the culprit.
So far, testing of jerky pet treats from China revealed low levels of antibiotics as well as the antiviral drug amantadine in some chicken samples. Although FDA-approved for pain-control applications in humans and in dogs, the agency prohibited its use in poultry in 2006 to help preserve its effectiveness.
The FDA does not believe amantadine contributed to the illnesses, as the side effects of the drug do not correlate with the symptoms seen in the pets; however, amantadine should not be present at all in jerky treats.
Chinese authorities have agreed to conduct additional screenings and follow up with jerky treat manufacturers, and the FDA has notified U.S. treat makers of the presence of amantadine in some jerky products. The agency will also continue testing these products for drugs and other antivirals.
The FDA cautioned pet owners that jerky pet treats are not required for a balanced diet. If your pet experiences any sign of illness, including vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy, contact your veterinarian right away.
Click for more from My Fox NY.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Thank you for this. Thats why i dont buy anything edible from China.and always ALWAYS read the ingredients and the very fine prints.

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Wow thank you for this. Very sad never ever buying crap for my baby girl.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I was listening to this on my morning radio talk show. Thanks for the info. I don't treat Vegas with anything but fruits, veggies or yogurt, but good to know!!

OP
Manydogs

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have never given jerky treats, but thought it was important info for all.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I can't tell you how bad this has become, the FDA has now allowed some of these same BIG dog food companies to use chicken again sourced from China, it doesn't matter what the label says. It's all about the $$$$$ that's all they care about. Thank you for posting this [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION].

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Lynn awesome information and important to know thank you. I did know about the jerky treats because two of my coworkers lost their dogs one a Sheltie, and one a Maltese Mix a couple of years ago, due to kidney failure, both had eaten the chicken jerky treats, and at the time there had been many dog deaths and illnesses reported, and Nestlé had a big recall on these products. The suspected ingredient was Glycerin. They have just recently been allowed back on the store shelves, but I will never feed them to my guys. I would rather be safe than sorry, because even if they have been tested or the suspected ingredients removed from the product, there are still so many chemicals and preservatives in dog treats. I would rather give them fruits and vegetables, peanut butter, homemade treats, at least I know the ingredients in them, and if I need a little bribe great, I just use a piece of their own kibble.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You would think people would get it one day. Don't buy this junk for their dogs, and especially food products from China.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online