It's Official..

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
..I'm a crazy bulldog lady.
I adopted/rescued a bulldog last Thursday. I found him on Craigslist for $300! His new name is Roscoe & he is 5 years old and has had at least 2 owners. He is 79.8 lbs. Thatā€™s the biggest bulldog Iā€™ve encountered & more than I really wanted but once I saw him I knew I had to save him. The owner said he had him for about 1 Ā½ years & that heā€™d been an outside dog. I asked how he does in the heat because for the 3 days prior temperatures had reached almost 100 degrees in our area. He nonchalantly tells me oh if itā€™s hot my mom hoses them off. Well I can tell you from how dusty he was that he has not been hosed off lately. I checked him out as best I could and figured heā€™d have some health issues. Ears & eye were what really stood out as needing attention. After I paid the owner, he hands me the leash & says thanks. Not so much as a goodbye to the dog.
I brought him home and rinsed him off outside real good. I hung out there with him and all he wanted was attention. He slept in the garage with the fan on & access to side yard.

The next day we spent 2 Ā½ hours at the vet & then I took him to the groomer for a thorough bath & nail clipping. He has chronic untreated ear infections, entropian, and what seems like a tumor on his testicle. Appointment for neuter & entropian surgeries are Wed.

He is a big boy but is a super love bug & wants to be in my lap constantly. He doesnā€™t seem to know how to play with toys or chase balls. I gave him a chew bone & he took it nicely but he wonā€™t sit & chew it. He also has no interest in treats which is quite the opposite of what Iā€™m used to with Daisy. Itā€™s also quite obvious he has never been indoors so we have some work on his manners. If anybody has any tips on teaching him not to mark his territory in the houseā€¦.
I introduced him to Daisy on Sat and they are doing good. Still learning each other & I donā€™t leave them unsupervised together.
Iā€™m excited we were able to rescue him. His life is going to be so different!

Pic 1 Covered in dust:
Riverbank1.jpg

He cleaned up well. Look at the size difference between the 2!
IMG_3838.jpg

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Omg just adorable. He is so big compared to your other dog. Just so handsome though. From your story of how you picked him up yes you can tell he was not cared for at all. Who doesn't say bye to a dog they have had for a year and a half. Wow well from his smile you can tell he is very happy now. šŸ˜†

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Sue, congratulations on your new baby Roscoe, and bless you for rescuing him and giving him a better life. I hope Daisy and Roscoe continue to get along, and they become best buds. So glad he's getting vet treatment, and I'm sure with TLC, love and patience with you, he will learn to trust, and will learn how to play, he's probably used to being left alone outside and no human contact or love and attention, he will come around. Please keep us posted, and share lots of pictures.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Aww what a sweet babyā€¦ :luv: Congratulations and Thank Goodness you saved him!!! I can't figure out why people sell dogs on Craigslist anymoreā€¦ Sending big hugs and prayers for his surgery on Wed, and obviously he will have some adjustments to deal with. Please keep us posted, and I will tag some people dealing w/rescues and introducing them to other bullies...

OP
IPickedADaisy

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
Aww what a sweet babyā€¦ :luv: Congratulations and Thank Goodness you saved him!!! I can't figure out why people sell dogs on Craigslist anymoreā€¦ Sending big hugs and prayers for his surgery on Wed, and obviously he will have some adjustments to deal with. Please keep us posted, and I will tag some people dealing w/rescues and introducing them to other bullies...

Iā€™d appreciate any help for sure. I read up on introductions and did a lot of planning.
I brought him home Thursday night and put him in the garage. I did a lot to make sure they smelled each other prior to meeting. I brought the blanket he sat on in the car inside for Daisy to sniff. I gave him one of her old beds to lay on. When he was at the groomers Friday I took her out to the garage to sniff around. We have a security camera in the garage & I set it so she could see him. Sheā€™d sit & watch intently. I made sure when I went out to play with him I was in camera range. On Sat I had my son come visit & take Roscoe outside. Then I brought Daisy out to garage one more time to check it out. Then we walked to the park with my son & Roscoe following about Ā½ block behind us. When they arrived at the park the dogs greeted each other & visited about 20 minutes. Then we all walked home together, went in through the garage & through the house to the backyard. After a few minutes we took them off leash one at a time. I let them play about an hour each time & then putting him in the garage for now so they can both get some rest from each other. I think the slow introduction is working for us. Iā€™m fortunate enough to have a job I can take time off to do this properly.
Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Congratulations on your new baby boy! And he is very handsome indeed! Bless people like you who open their home to sweet souls like him. For that kudos to you and thank you. Curse the old owners for treating him the way they did!

you're doing a great job introducing him to Daisy. Hope everything goes well on wednesday. Will keep you guys in my thoughts.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Congrats on your new boy. He looks like he has Olde English in him, or he is full Olde English, one or the other. He is a handsome boy for sure. Sounds like you are doing a good job of introducing them and hope it keeps going well. Once he is neutered, that will help with the marking in the house. Go back to basic with him on house training and he will get it before you know it.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What a great thing! Roscoe is big beauty!! Congratulations on your new boy.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Congrats on your big boy~!!! He is awesome, and bless you for rescuing him from a rough life!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Wow Roscoe is a handsome boy. Thank you for giving him a chance at a good life. Sounds to me like you have everything under control.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
FANTASTIC.... thank you so much for saving this boy from that life! He is in for much better days!

You are doing a great job with the introductions...

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
You are a Wonderful person Sue for opening your Heart and Home for this Bully. It seems like his horrible previous master did not really care for him, to just walk away not even saying good-bye. His Loss and Your Wonderful Gain. I am so Glad that Roscoe has you and your family. Love to You Sue and Roscoe

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am nearly sobbing at this happy story, thank you so very much for saving him from that jerk! He's so handsome, and you can just see he's a total love bug!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.