Spike got neutered today! Hopefully things get better here!

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
Well, today was the day that Spike (the bulldog I rescued a few weeks ago) got neutered. He came thru the surgery just fine. He is on a ton of meds again...I was right about him not having hot spots....when I got him he had a bunch of spots with no hair....the people I got him from said they were hot spots, but looking at them I knew that wasn't the case. I have been giving him a bath with a keto shampoo twice a week and his hair is growing back nicely. His eyes are still very red....the vet checked him out today and he has an infection in his left ear, an infection in both his eyes and one eye has only a 5% tear production.
The spots on his skin where his hair was gone, the vet says it was more than likely a skin infection....he said it wasn't allergy related and it wasn't mange.

I am also hoping that having Spike neutered will help with him living here. My other bullie Bertie keeps attacking him, and finally when he has taken all he can stand, he fights back! Last time he grabbed her by the neck and it took two of us to break them apart. Bertie is still limping after almost 2 weeks. She has scabs on both sides of her neck. Spike is much larger than Bertie, but she has been so mean and in attack mode. I really hope that by having him neutered, maybe she won't feel so threatened....we shall see. They have not had access to each other in a couple weeks....I have been keeping them seperated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If Spike is in pan and has trouble hearing due to the ear infections, Bertie is sensing his weakness and Spike is most likely still not fully comfortable ---- i think it be great to get a trainer in to help along as you said it seems spike had no training and was allowed to just be --- I tagged a few members that can help with some training and dealing with two that need to get along.

also, you may want to start using a training technique "Nothing in Life is Free', it is very easy, but everyone in the house has to remain on the same page and be consistent with both Bulldogs.

here is the link -- http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...ning-technique

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, so glad Spike came through the surgery and is doing well. I hope is recovery is quick and easy. When we had Dozer neutered, he healed pretty quickly, less than a week. Glad he doesn't have mange, and hope the medications take of the skin and eye/ear infections. Once his ears are cleared up, you can clean his ears with a mixture of peroxide and water, or a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water, use equal parts. They are very good at dissolving ear wax. I like to use these because they are natural.
I hope Bertie and Spike learn to get along, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this, but hopefully somebody will come along soon who does. I agree with others, that training might help. Good luck and keep us posted. I hope Spike feels better soon.

Mia Amore

Apr 28, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Glad spike is home doing good. Wow he has a lot going on with him. Sending a prayer u r way so he gets better and makes it better in ur home for u guys.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.