The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance is now 11 weeks old and is still a biter, any ideas on how to break this horrible habit. He is doing so well in all other areas and he gets his shot next week which means in two weeks he can socialize with other dogs. Will the dog socialization help with his biting situation. Coming from being the only one in his litter and mom refusing him at 5 weeks. 002.jpg016.jpg013.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Ron, since we had two EB siblings, and we have 6 children in our family all under the age of 6, they are all cousins, we couldn't have the puppies biting them. What I did from day one of bringing my puppies home, whenever they bit or nipped us, I would redirect with a chew toy, or bone and say No or Ouch firmly. If they did nip me, I would take their mouth in my hand and gently push their face towards the floor and in a firm voice say No bite, gentle, and they would stop. It didn't take very long before they stopped. The best way I've found to teach them not to be nippy is to get them used to you going in their mouth, taking things away, and handling them, by this I mean I placed the whole side of my hand in their mouths, I gave them food or a treat and then while they were eating it, I would take the bowl away from them, so they would get used to this, and not snap or get food aggressive if the kids would come near them when they were eating, I would take things out of their mouth when they picked up something outside, I handled their ears, I trimmed their nails, I brushed them, I washed their faces and ears with baby wipes, I socialized them with dogs in my neighbourhood that I knew the owners, and knew they were up to date on vaccinations, and I exposed them to all the kids. If you do these things from a young age, they get used to it and will pretty much let you do anything to them, and if they are eating, my guys won't even flinch or get mad when you touch their food. The kids can touch them anywhere and they have never bitten any of them.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
hi

have you done any obedience training ? also a water bottle ( to skoosh when nipping ) or small tin 1/4 full of coins (shake)
usually does the trick

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
WHAT a face!!! so sweet..... tell him with firm NO or OUCH and redirect him to a toy when he does this. it is typical behavior for a puppy and you have to teach them it is unacceptable. if it is not you that he is nipping/biting use the spray bottle or tin change can as [MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION] suggested

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just wanted to say that Chance is absolutely adorable… look at those EARS!!! LOL

The gang has given you great advice… we had a blue heeler once who's mom died at after the birth, and she was hand raised. Very difficult to STOP the biting, but just keep at it. He will eventually get the hint. Good luck!!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He looks like a mice!!!!! Way to cute! Socialization will definitely help.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.