ear drops

theresa gail

Mar 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ziggy Stardust
I'm supposed to put ear drops in Ziggys ears once a week. Anyone have any tips or suggestions about how to do this without getting my hands chewed to a nub? Thought about a muzzle, but I hate to resort to that extreme.
`

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Have someone hold Ziggy while you put them in, and use treats. That's the only way I've found to do it. Good LUCK!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If your are nevrvous about it then He is sensing it and getting scared.... Be calm, and as Phil suggested use treats and get a holder. ;)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have found it easier to put the dog between your legs, bend your knees and hold him face outwards… they can't really see it coming, and you can use your knees to hold their head still. Good Luck!!!

ZuleikaD

Mar 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tallulah
When Tallulah had ear infections I got practice doing this twice a day. First, I would try to sneak up on her. So she'd be lying on the sofa napping, and I'd just walk up and put the drops in one ear, flip her ear closed over it and hold her head for a minute so it would have a chance to drain into her ear canal before she started shaking her head. But then there was the second ear. I'd wrap my arms around her and hold her head. Sometimes, I'd have to wrestle her a bit and get her to lie down, fake her out with a belly rub. It got better with time, but she never loved it.

Now, I try to clean her ears pretty regularly. Usually I try to corner her somewhere (like the back of my narrow bathroom) and get her in between my knees. She's not horrible about it; while she's super wiggly, she's never tried to nip at me over the ear drops.

foxy131

Feb 15, 2014
Lola HATES being cleaned, period. She doesn't like her ears cleans, face cleaned, baths. It's always a fight. But we've started turning the face cleaning into a game.

For the ears, the easiest way is when I have my boyfriend hold her. Then we can get it over with quickly and get to the treat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Get some chicken or something like that. When the dog is distracted (chomping away) try it then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
I don't think there's any "easy" way to do anything w/a bullies ears! But a vet told me once to try and wrap him up tight in a blanket, (kind of like swaddling a baby/ or like a taco!!) that way they can't really kick and scream and get away!! However, I don't think she's ever tried this with a bulldog!!! Hard to swaddle a bully when their legs don't really lie flat!! I never tried it because it just didn't seem like it was plausible!! Bodie is actually really good about getting his ears cleaned...as good as he can be!...he'll sit right next to me like a good boy, but I will have to fight a little because he'll want to drop his head/ear towards the floor. And shake his head & shake & shake & shake!!! I try explaining to him that Mama's just trying to help him! He doesn't believe me!! He will sit there though...until he's had enough, then it's running away to the very back of his crate to hide, cause he knows mama can't get to him if he's in the back of that big a** crate!! If I'm just putting drops in his ears, usually the first ear gets done good, but he knows what's coming when it's time for the second, so it may take a little longer!! I just have to put it in, hold his ear shut and try to massage it down into his canal!! But 95% of the time after cleaning or drops in the ears, I have to put his thunder shirt on him...he'll shake his head non-stop and run around the house for hours, so the thunder shirt calms him down ALOT! And usually within 5-10 mins, he's sleeping!!!
Bodie's ears are a little yucky right now too! He started to itch at them the other day and then I smelled it!! Mama knows that smell and exactly what it is and where it's coming from!!!!! I hope you've figured out an easy way of doing this! It's no easy task!!

BullyLove!!!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie HATES her ear drops. I do what ddnene says, sit with them between your legs. We still have a really good fight about it but it seems a little easier if I'm holding her down.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online