Does Anyone Else Experience this Problem with Family or Friends!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi guys, I know I can talk to you guys about this and you'll totally understand me, everyone here feels the same way about their bulldogs, and love them as much as I do, and we can't all be crazy. I am curious to know if anyone else has this experience or problem with their family members or friends who come to the house. I have a problem with my mom, My mom thinks I've lost my mind and thinks I'm totally crazy. I can't talk to her about my dogs at all. She's an Interior Designer, and thinks dogs should be outside. She tells me my dogs are the ugliest things she's ever seen, and she calls them beasts. She thinks that it's disgusting to come to my house because of their shedding. I have 1 sister, she likes dogs, but has bad allergies and has had asthma from a child, when she comes to my house she always needs her inhaler after about 10 minutes because I also have a cat which she is highly allergic too. I have 3 brothers and my oldest brother just rescued a Bichon named Teddy, he's so cute. My mom still feels the same way, but Bichons are small, and they don't shed and are hypo-allergenic, so she doesn't really say much, my youngest brother bought a Golden Lab for my niece for her 3rd Birthday, and Duke is a beautiful dog but he sheds like crazy too, and my Mom says it ruins his house. My middle brother also loves dogs, but has a small son, works a lot, has a new house, and he wants a big dog. His wife who he's been with for over 10 years has a Jack Russell that is getting on in years, it was her dog when she was a teenager, and lived at home, but her parents are so attached to him, and he only gets home cooked food, plus he's not very good with children, and my nephew is only 2 and it bits him, so my sister in law leaves the dog with her parents. My brother says although he loves dogs, and he would like one, they don't have a big house, and they don't have time. He loves my dogs though. I don't understand my mom, she gets so upset when I talk about my dogs, and she doesn't want to hear my stories about them, she thinks I'm totally insane, and what makes it even worse for her is that I have 2 dogs. When I explain to her how much I love them, or how happy they make me feel she says I'm crazy and obsessed, and I need to stop. I tell her my kids are grown, 32 and 34, and I waited over 10 years for an EB, I love the breed, I am a dog lover, and they truly make me happy. She just doesn't get it, and says I should give them away, that she can't come to my house because she feels these dogs are huge beasts, that slobber everywhere, ( my dogs don't slobber at all actually, but they are big lickers, they love to kiss us, and she thinks that's disgusting), and she says she can't come there dressed in anything nice because of their shedding. And don't even get her started on the subject of money, she thinks I spend too much on their food, she thinks I'm nuts for giving them the supplements I do, and the cost of what I paid for them, plus their vet bills. I also belong to a bully meetup here in Ontario, and we take them and meet other bully parents, it's so much fun, but she says I'm ridiculous, and I choose dogs over people. That's so ridiculous, I'm meeting other people with dogs just like mine, I have lots of friends, and they love my dogs too. It does hurt me, but I try not to let it bother me. I love my dogs, they are my fur babies, and a part of my family, and so I try to ignore it for the most part. I'm happy with my dogs, and I feel sorry that she doesn't have that love, she's missing out, but it does get hard sometimes when she criticizes or says things like oh get rid of those beasts, or they're ruining your house with the hair and scratching the wood floors. I can't even tell her about this site, she goes over the edge, and says I've become obsessed, and I'm cuckoo. That's why I love this site, I can talk to you guys, share my funny and sad stories, and my adventures with Dozer and Blossom, and I can hear about all your guys stories, we help each other, and learn from each other, and only we understand what each others dogs mean to us. I think we are the lucky ones, and I couldn't imagine life without these guys, so if I'm certifiably crazy, then please lock me up and throw away the key, but lock me up with my babies, and I'll be happy.

0 Comment(s)

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I'm so sorry cause she's your mom and their support really matters to us all and when I first got my bully my mom was the same but once she saw how happy he made me and the joy that having him brought me she let up and now she loves the bullys too. And as for her comment about you choosing your dogs over people - hell yea do you see what some people are capable of doing these days those are the real beasts just watch the news! Never feel bad for the love you have for your family cause we know our pets aren't just dogs they are like our children!

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thank you, I know everyone on here feels the same way as me, and understands. We can't all be crazy. Lol. I feel,so lucky and happy to have my bullies in my life, they give me so much joy. I can ignore it for the most part, but its frustrating sometimes to always feel you have to defend yourself and the love of your dogs. That's why I love coming on this site, everyone feels like I do.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
it sucks that your mother will never know the love of a dog :(

I have this on my fridge....
images.jpg

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
I'm so sorry you have to go through that with your Mom. It makes it hard being your Mom. If a "friend" acted that way to me, I would just say "there's the door and please don't bother coming back again and you my friend are a prime example of why I 'choose dogs over people' so adios". But....you can't really say that to your Mama. I wish she would just see how happy they make you. They are so much more than the hair on the floor. And those slobbery kisses hold soooo much love!! I just wouldn't give up. Hopefully she will eventually come around and see the bigger picture and that is your happiness. 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I don't care who you are, to love me is to love my dog. I dote on my skin children as much as I do Raven. Matter of fact to hear my children talk you would think Raven gets better treatment...lol. Don't let it bother you. Listen share your love and thoughts with us fellow bully/animal lovers and not with her. Everyone has something that they are obsessed with and enjoy and they should be able to. As for the sly comments about them being beasts and ruining the house, mother or not I would kindly ask her to refrain from speaking that way about my furbabies. Animals are not for everyone and she should really show some respect for your personal choices as well as your home. Kind of insulting too because it makes you feel like you live in a dump beasue of the dogs.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
wow.... that must be really hard for you because I am sure you would love if your mom could share that passion with you, listen to you, acknowledge your feelings and being more part of your life. I have a tough mother too... she loves dogs but I have other things in my life that she likes to be vocal about it and tell me all about her feelings not caring how important it is for me... or if it hurts me or not.

Hang in there! Accept your mom with her imperfections and thruthfully dont expect from her what she can't give. She is not an animal person and also a bit selfish to impose her feelings on you and your home. We suffer a lot because we have expectations on people of how we would like them to act, or to be but the truth is accepting them for who they are will bring less dissappointments to your life.

Continue to love on your babies and we ALL are crazy dog, animal, bulldog lovers here and we completly understand your passion and your feelings! I always say that I only donate my money to animal charities and I do love animals more than people. Always did... always will and that's who I am. For me there is not more precious than the interaction between men and a dog. The friendship, loyalty and love that they give us is beautiful!

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
My in-laws do not like dogs, especially my Mother-in-law so she just doesn't come over. I feel its her loss because she is missing out on her grandchildren growing up. Funny part is that both of my sister-in-laws have dogs and she goes over there but the big difference is that their dogs aren't allowed on the furniture and mine are. When she does come over, we put the dogs outside but she refuses to come in and sit down. I kinda understood when we still had Diesel because he was a 75lb Boxer who thought everyone needed kisses and he would jump up and kiss you in the face, however, he has been gone for a year and a half. Daisy and Dually do not jump at all!! OH well, I love my dogs and don't care what other people think, they make me happy and without them my life would be miserable!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am so sorry you have to deal with this. It is never easy. My rules are the same as the picture posted about. If you don't like it then feel free to leave as they live here and you are a guest. I had a similar situation with my mother when I first got my boxer Remi back in 2000. She couldn't stand him and thought he was a beast, ugly and a mean looking dog, so she wouldn't come over very often and when she did I would have to put him outside while she was here. That stopped one rainy day and things changed from then on. My mom wound up loving my boxer to no end and he was depressed for a long time after my mom passed away because the Wednesday and Saturday visits came to an end.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry that your mother doesn't understand Monica… some people just aren't dog or animal people.

My grandmother got all over me one time because she told me I was being "hurtful" to my cat that was diabetic. I would give him insulin twice a day, and she told me that I should just put him down because it was inhumane for him to have to suffer like that :blink: I NEVER responded to her about that (I was raised to be respectful to my elders) but I did make the comment that I believed my animals were my kids and I would treat them the same. I have found that the people that I "like" the most are people that feel the same way about animals the way that I do.

drmom89

May 14, 2014
I agree with jimmyjj. Only other bullie parents really get it. 99% of people fall in love with Jammy on first site. But there are a few who tell me how ugly she is. We just pretend not to hear them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
I'm so very sorry that you have to go through that with your mother. I echo what everyone else has said and it was anyone but your mother I would suggest telling them they are not welcomed back in your home but because it's your mother it makes it that much difficult.

I can make you a promise- I promise there is nothing that you could ever say that I would think is weird, too much, overboard or anything like that when it comes to your babies because I love mine more than I can put into words.

Anytime day or night you can write to us. We all understand and feel the same way you do.

Sending sloppery kisses your way! :p

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.