Heartworm preventive

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
I had always my dogs on sentinel. However my vet just offered us the ProHeart 6 shot what protect your dog agains heartworms for 6 months.
I do know 10 years ago this shot was pulled back because of dogs dying but I was reading about it and not only it now improved but also I saw that sometimes ppl reported the drug wrongly. One example was of a dog who had the (ProHeart6) injection, then rode home in an open pickup truck, jumped out and was hit by a car. The owner claimed the drug was at fault because the dog had never done that before. Clearly, that (report) and others were unfounded.

Does anybody uses the injection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Diesel and Roxys' Mom, no I'm not familiar with that vaccination, we use Revolution, we administer it for 6 months as well, from June to the end of October. We put a drop in between their shoulder blades, once a month. It covers heart worm, fleas, ticks, and other parasites. My guys have never had any reaction or side effects from this drug. My vet does the heart worm test and a stool sample, then she weighs them, there are different strengths based on their weight, and then gives me the box of medication to last me the 6 months.

B

Baxter Tiberius

I would be extremely opposed to giving anything that is a 6 month dose. I can't even stand that they sell things in 1 month doses. What drug do they give human beings that lasts a month? I don't care about the safety profile they reference. Its still a dose that is 30x higher than it needs to be (30 days in a month). All at once.

I would be happy to have a daily heartworm pill option. They market these things based on laziness and lack of adherence by humans. Its only because people tend to be irresponsible with caring for their pets that they have to sell "once per month" pills in the first place.

A 6 month dose? I would avoid like the plague. But that's just me. I try to remember that english bulldogs don't show discomfort until they're experiencing discomfort that would make a grown man cry. So if they get these meds and walk around with a splitting migraine for 4 days, or stabbing stomach pains, or burning inflamed skin sensations - we never know about it. Because they can't talk. And everyone just assumes there is "no reaction". Pesticides are nothing to screw with either. Probably the most toxic of all environmental toxins possible. I hate that we have to put them in our little guys bodies at all. Guarantee they account for a majority of the health problems down the road.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm not too sure about that shot. I use Sentinel and that's what we are sticking with.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have used Heartgard for years and had NO issues, now my new vet suggest Sentinel and I've only heard good things about it. A year ago they offered Roxie the shot, but w/her being older I said absolutely NOT!!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I wouldn't do the 6 month shot. Would worry about side effects.

My vet said Heartgard, so that what we've always used. Haven't had any problems.

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
We use Sentinel and are super happy with it. I've never heard anything about the shot so I am of no help. Sorry. Good luck!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
We use Heartgard Plus for Elmo and all of our other dogs. Frontline once a month for all of them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.