teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sky (aka Stardust Iron Dome)
Hi all,
Am new into this site, and has been primarily driven by my interest to own an english bulldog.
I have always wanted EB, but wasnt allowed when i was young. Now that am married with a baby boy, i would like him to grow up with a close confidant.
I have decided on english bulldog, believing he will teach many to my kids, incl commitment to clean them, friendship that bonds with them, persistence to train them, and many other things.
I have so many questions to ask as a newbie.
I have ordered my EB (pending delivery) and would like some help and ideas from the experts here:
1. I live near the equatorial line, and thus tends to be more humid and warm. To plan for this breed, am planning to build a house for them fully air-conditioned. Any recommendation for the house in terms of size etc?
2. A friend of mine recommends me to have 2 EB. Simple reason given that best for EB to have a friend while growing up. View please?
3. If in deed having 2 bulldog is recommended, is it ok to have 2 male bulldogs?

Thanks all. I am learning as much as i can to make sure be a good dad for the pup.

Rgrds

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
English Bulldogs are NOT outside dogs. Why get a "pet" if thy are going to be stuck outside?! Get a horse.

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
I think you and your dog will be much happier if he lives in the house with you.

Congratulations on the new dog!

I have to agree here, EB are a breed that really needs to be with you. They love and need you more then any other breed I have had. They don't do well outdoors, more so when it is hot and humid. If you really want to have your son grow up with this dog, then I would suggest that you have the dog indoors with him.

And congrats on the pup!!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I hate to jump on the band wagon here, but EB's are not outside dogs. They trive on human contact and the love of their families. Perhaps another breed would be a better fit for you.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I agree with what's been said regarding bully's are indoor pets only, it's like no other dog,
you definitely get out what You put it. If you can be true to yourself and nurse through any health problems, shedding, wind etc you will reap the benefits that we see and live with.
Theres loads of good dog breads you can kennel outside but a bully isn't one of them. Please think

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Awww I think an EB is a fantastic choice....just maybe not for you...? They are the most loving and loyal little fur babies you will ever have. They need and desire constant love and contact from their humans. In my opinion, there is no way an EB should be living anywhere but in side the family home with the family, regardless of an air conditioned dog house or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
I completely agree with what has been said. They are 100% NOT outside dogs. They cannot handle any form of heat, even 60 degrees can sometimes be too warm for them. And they thrive on human interaction and need to be with their family at all times. I respect you wanting to learn all you can about the breed as do I and the reason I spend SO much time on this site however if you are not willing to have the dog indoors 99% of the time I would consider a different breed. With that said, if you do get a bully there is nothing in this world like them. They are truly amazing and deserve all of the special treatment their breed requires amd more. It is an understatement to say my ENTIRE life changed the day I brought my puppy home and yours will too.

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
All, thanks for the input. I have to clarified, what i mean is to build a specially design house for him within my house. So he will have a special house (for him to sleep etc) that is fully airconditioned and within my living areas (inside the house).

Another questions all:, a friend told me that i should space the age of puppies if i am taking 2 puppies. He is worried that if i take two puppies with limited age differential, they will be too dependant to each other. Anyone has this experience?

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Our bullie boy is an "only child" and does great. He is with us all the time though. Hubby and I both work, but we work somewhat opposite shifts, so Koozer is home alone about 4 hours 3 times a week. He goes to daycare and plays with all sorts of dogs about once a week. Other than that, he goes with us everywhere. I would think that if your bullie is going to have a constant human companion, then you don't necessarily need a second. If you plan on leaving your bullie for somewhat extended times, then yes, a "friend" is probably needed. They are very social dogs and just crave companionship. Good luck with your new baby!

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Agree with [MENTION=5678]Gfitz911[/MENTION], we also only have 1 bullie, who lives inside with my family, but I mostly work from home, don't feel pressured that you need 2 bullies at all, there is so many of us that only have 1, because they are part of the family they are happy to be centre of attention. I cannot really give you advice about spacing puppies out as I only have the one, puppies are alot of work so having two is something to think about.

Congratulations on your New pup, sounds like you are planning and researching alot.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All, thanks for the input. I have to clarified, what i mean is to build a specially design house for him within my house. So he will have a special house (for him to sleep etc) that is fully airconditioned and within my living areas (inside the house).

Another questions all:, a friend told me that i should space the age of puppies if i am taking 2 puppies. He is worried that if i take two puppies with limited age differential, they will be too dependant to each other. Anyone has this experience?

Hello and :welcome3: to EBN..... do not pressure yourself to get two unless YOU really want two puppies at once. Bulldogs are great companions and love being with their human. In most cases (not all) other dogs to a Bulldog is optional, they love human interaction and center of attention. Since you have a young child, I suggest getting the one pup and allowing them to bond and grow together, if after a year or two you decide another is in the cards then look for that second addition. A young child and two puppies at once can be a lot of work and possibly overwhelming.

if you do decided to get two at once, get a male and a female as they chances are better they will get along .

Best of luck in your decision and be surre to post pictures of the pup and the cool new indoor penthouse he/she will have.

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Cool, thanks all...... May try with 1 as start........ Would 90x90 x90 cm be enough for his indoor house?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.