My baby is limping

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Poor Riggins is having a hard time walking. It started out of nowhere. He wasn't even playing or anything prior. I came downstairs from doing laundry and my husband had him outside to go potty. I watched him out the door and he was just standing there. Then I saw him just slowly lie down. So I went outside to check on him. I took the leash from my husband to take him inside and he said to me, "That's like the 5th time he has just laid down, stood up and laid down again." I said, " Well that should tell you something is wrong. Don't just stand there messing around in your garden!" (Sorry, he's not very attentive with my bulldog) So I kind of helped Rigs up by his tush and he started to walk inside. He wasn't walking in a straight line. He would try to walk straight but stagger to the right the whole way to the door. He stepped inside and immediately laid down.

So I watched him very closely. He's actually lying on my lap right now. I took a few crumbles of dog food to get him up and waking so I could observe and try to see where and what is going on with him. He would walk to me so very slowly but he couldn't walk in a straight line. Again he would walk and stagger to the right. He ate the crumbles and laid down very slowly.

I checked all of his paws for anything stuck or any cuts. I didn't find anything. Nothing seemed painful. I manipulated each leg and joint and nothing seemed to bother him. But in observing him walking, I can tell that his left leg is bothering him. He wasn't putting all of his weight on it. But again, it didn't seem to bother him when I moved it around. He does seem uncomfortable when lying on his left side though. He's seems much more comfortable when lying on his right side.

Riggins does have hip dysplasia that showed up on X-ray when checking his intestines a couple of weeks ago. His left hip looked fine but his right hip was out. So I am wondering if maybe his left hip could have come out? I just don't know what is wrong with him. About a month ago he limped around for about 2 days and then he was totally fine. But it wasn't this bad. I want to give him a day or two to see if he improves but I just feel so terrible for him right now. It breaks my heart to see him uncomfortable or in pain. 😞

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, give it a day or two to see if he gets better. If he is worse tomorrow then you might want to take him in. Sometimes they just pull stuff and are sore for a few days. Hope he is better tomorrow.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Oh no poor Riggins :( hope he feels better soon and fervently hope its nothing serious! Keeping you guys in my thoughts. Ill be checking on you guys later.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Awe geez, poor Riggs. I hope it just goes away on it's own, I agree with David if he keeps doing it tomorrow get him to the vet.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about Riggins… Wally has been limping too, and I took him to the vet. She said that during the growing phase their joints and muscles are very pliable. Sometimes they just spain or hurt areas, and it's not a cause for alarm. How old is Riggins?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with David, keep an eye on him, and if it doesn't improve take him to the vet to be checked out. Could he have jumped off the couch or a bed and landed wrong, when you didn't see him?, has he been on a long walk?, or could he have strained himself going down stairs? I hope it's nothing serious, and he feels better soon. Please keep us posted.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It's difficult to watch them do this but...if he's not whining or wincing
when you manipulate his legs & joints, I agree with the gang here, give
him a day or two, if worsens, take him in now. Obviously, crate him only
potty breaks & feeding then right back in. I'm concerned it is his hip out :(
Praying for dear Riggins, please update us!

OP
Rigginsluv11

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
I'm so sorry to hear about Riggins… Wally has been limping too, and I took him to the vet. She said that during the growing phase their joints and muscles are very pliable. Sometimes they just spain or hurt areas, and it's not a cause for alarm. How old is Riggins?

Riggins just turned 1 on April 28th. I hope Wally feels better!

OP
Rigginsluv11

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Hi, I agree with David, keep an eye on him, and if it doesn't improve take him to the vet to be checked out. Could he have jumped off the couch or a bed and landed wrong, when you didn't see him?, has he been on a long walk?, or could he have strained himself going down stairs? I hope it's nothing serious, and he feels better soon. Please keep us posted.

I don't think he could have. I'm a stay at home Mom and he is attached to me so everywhere I am, he is. He hasn't been on any walls because we live in SC and it's been very hit here so he has only been going out for potty breaks.

OP
Rigginsluv11

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
It's difficult to watch them do this but...if he's not whining or wincing
when you manipulate his legs & joints, I agree with the gang here, give
him a day or two, if worsens, take him in now. Obviously, crate him only
potty breaks & feeding then right back in. I'm concerned it is his hip out :(
Praying for dear Riggins, please update us!

I am afraid it is his hip too 😞 But I hope not. I gave him some of his pain medicine that he had left from his tummy issues a few weeks ago. So he is very quiet tonight and resting. I'm going to keep him very still and keep a close eye on him.

I will be sure to keep everyone updated.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Riggins just turned 1 on April 28th. I hope Wally feels better!

Oh he's still a baby... I hope he feels better soon!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Rigginsluv11

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
So Rigs seems just slightly better today, I can't really tell though because I'm not letting him move much. I am keeping him very quiet. No stairs, no jumping. I pick him up to put him anywhere he needs to go. I called my vet this morning to get an appt for Sat morning just incase he is the same or worse. I wanted to have something scheduled so he wouldn't have to go all weekend if he wasn't doing well. I can always cancel if he is getting better. I just hope he feels better.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I hope he feels better too, you're a good mom to make the appointment just in case.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.