brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
So I bought the boys Martigale collars a while back because they are both horrible pullers when in their harnesses and it kills me to walk them. So I'm not sure which thread I was reading today but, I read that I am supposed to be walking on a particular side with this kind of collar? It is not a traditional choke collar but it will constrict when pulled. I was told by experts that this is the optimal collar to use while training to leash walk. No one ever said anything about walking on the left side. My guys tend to continually cross back and forth. So what's the deal? Why is it necessary to walk on the left side, and is this collar not something I should be using? I still have both of their harnesses but this collar is much easier and they do stop pulling when we walk. Please tell me if I am doing something wrong.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The traditional side is the left. If you are walking them together, somebody has to be on the right! If they were super trained, they could both be on the left! Mine are not good when both together,it becomes a drag race-and I am the "dragee!"

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The traditional side is the left. If you are walking them together, somebody has to be on the right! If they were super trained, they could both be on the left! Mine are not good when both together,it becomes a drag race-and I am the "dragee!"

Is there a medical reason for them to be on the left? I don't get it. I hear ya about being the dragee. That's how I feel when they were on their harnesses. When I walked Frank in the St Pattys day rescue parade I literally could not move for 2days afterward. The muscles across my shoulders were so sore. My body felt like a mack truck hit it.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've always heard that you walk the dog on the left so that you're right hand can be free to do whatever other action needs to be done. I think any way to get your bully a little exercise is a great thing, left side, right side just as long as I don't have to carry him down the street. I don't think you're doing anything wrong at all.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
In horse shows, dog shows, donkey shows, they are all lead on the left. I don't know the origin of it, but When you go in the ring the animals will be on the left of you, on the inside, so that the judges can see them. (you go counter-clockwise). Maybe it's because most people are right handed-and wanted their right hand free? I really never thought about it! Just did it! They need a fat stick, or something that won't bend hooked to their collars, fro one to the other so they can't criss-cross! Once they get used to not being able to, then you can remove it! p.s. I am left handed. Everything is made for right handed-discrimination!!!!

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok so it makes sense for show reasons. Could you imagine me trying to show the dynamic duo?? The show ring would be shut down and chaos would reign supreme!! Brutus would be eating everything and Frankie would be doing something naughty. Last night I heard him in the kitchen and in comes wonder dog with a butter knife in his mouth :w00t:. so I get that away from him and while i'm putting it in the dishwasher, he comes running in with my husbands keys in his mouth. Ugh he is so bad, I love him soo much!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok so it makes sense for show reasons. Could you imagine me trying to show the dynamic duo?? The show ring would be shut down and chaos would reign supreme!! Brutus would be eating everything and Frankie would be doing something naughty. Last night I heard him in the kitchen and in comes wonder dog with a butter knife in his mouth :w00t:. so I get that away from him and while i'm putting it in the dishwasher, he comes running in with my husbands keys in his mouth. Ugh he is so bad, I love him soo much!!

hahaha! You can't keep up with them! If you did enter them and they didn't win I'm sure one of them would grab the trophy anyways and run to your car. :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
If I were showing then I would keep it on the left. If not showing personally it doesn't really matter. As long as Harlea stays on one side or the other and is not crossing back and forth I am happy. As for the pulling in the harness we worked with Harlea for weeks on it and would say no pull and gently pull her back to our side and stop moving forward. If she did it again we would repeat the process. It took her a few weeks but she is an angel 95% of the time now.

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
Left side is the AKC obedience standard. I don't know why but it does have something to do with keeping your dog on the street side when you are walking on the sidewalk.

It keeps your dominant hand free to hold guns, tools , open doors etc.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well not sure where the left side originated from, but at dog shows you walk them on the left side so they are closer to the judge so the judge can see them better and not have to look around you to do so. As far as the collar goes, if it is working then I would keep using it. I once asked our bully vet, who has been a bully vet for over 40 years, yes he is very old, :) about using choke collars and pulling on them, and he said it would not hurt them, unless if you just jerked it really hard and fast.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] Good thing you caught Frankie with the keys, I think the Bully Bro.s were planning an escape in the car!! Lock them keys up!!!!!!!!!!!:w00t:

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have to nail everything down. Bulldogs x 2 is a trip. I wouldn't trade one minute of it!!

drmom89

May 14, 2014
A harness just gives them more power to pull. It's up to you to make them stay where you want them. A short tug on the leash to the side is more effective than pulling them backward. Good luck it's going to take patience and determination. Be the pack leader!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
So I bought the boys Martigale collars a while back because they are both horrible pullers when in their harnesses and it kills me to walk them. So I'm not sure which thread I was reading today but, I read that I am supposed to be walking on a particular side with this kind of collar? It is not a traditional choke collar but it will constrict when pulled. I was told by experts that this is the optimal collar to use while training to leash walk. No one ever said anything about walking on the left side. My guys tend to continually cross back and forth. So what's the deal? Why is it necessary to walk on the left side, and is this collar not something I should be using? I still have both of their harnesses but this collar is much easier and they do stop pulling when we walk. Please tell me if I am doing something wrong.

Ftse is the same I cant walk him as I am in agony after the walk and we got a marting gale collar and tried him but I didn't like how they pull on their throat so stopped using it maybe we were doing something wrong.

Most Reactions