How many bulldogs are too many?? Is there a huge difference between 2 and 3?

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
So my husband showed me a photo tonight of a 3 yr old boy that needs a new home and we called the owner and are going to meet him this weekend..I have a 3 yr old male and a 5 yr old male already..both nuetered..I'm wondering if it would be a huge difference taking care of 3 also I'm worried about how my boys will react to another boy in the house..they have such different personalities one is easy going and playful and the other is a little neurotic but they are both very attached to me..my husband says I made them into babies..I would hate to bring this boy home and it not work out..any suggestions? I am going to take them with us to meet the new boy

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Sorry no advice here but just want to say, kudos to you and your husband for considering giving this boy a new home! Hope it all works out :yes:.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I don't know how different it is with three instead of two. I have two bullys and two labs, but they are totally different breeds so I couldn't say. I don't think it would make too much of a difference as long as the extra food and vet care is manageable for you guys. As far as them getting along, take them for a nice long walk before you bring the new dog into the house. Once inside, if you see signs of them not getting along do a slow introduction with the new dog gated away but visible to the existing dogs so they can get used to each other by sight and scent without the stress of having them together and then when you see they are accepting, which you will be able to tell by the body language of all the dogs, you can start introductions together.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with others suggestions above, that if you can manage vet care, food, and have the place for a 3rd dog, then it would be fine to add another dog. How many dogs you have is dependant on how you can manage them, the room you have for them, and the time you have to give to them, if these things aren't a problem, then it's an individual decision. I know a family who had 6 bullies, and there are many members on here that have 3, 4, or 6 bullies. We have two, a male and a female, and they are siblings and litter mates, so have been together since birth. I don't have any experience with same sex bullies together, so don't have any ideas as to how this would be. I agree with Brutus' advice, and you should also introduce them to each other in a neutral place before bringing them home. I hope it works out for you guys, and its so great that you're willing to rescue this boy and give him a new home. Please keep us posted.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I only have two and once I got the second one, Brutus, one more wouldn't make any difference to me. Introduce them slowly. Good Luck :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sorry -- I have no advice as my girl would not allow another into the mix.... she is queen bee and means it :stinkeye; BUt, if I had my way, there would be about 6 in my house!! :D

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Awwwwh !! How lucky are you!! Good luck, hope it all works out, I am jealous 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Julzz9170

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
Thanks for the feedback!! Not sure why I am worrying about this..I think mostly I'm afraid my boys will be too jealous..from my experience I prefer an older dog to a puppy.and the owner says he is crate trained and house broken..not that I fully trust someone who is giving a dog away after 3 years with the only reason being that they live in an apartment?? Okay maybe I'm afraid I'm turning into a crazy bulldog lady lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Okay maybe I'm afraid I'm turning into a crazy bulldog lady lol

Not seeing a problem here :blink: :giggle:

I did tag some of the members with 3 or more bullies.... the may have some insight for you

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
The bad,,,, the farts are x 3 bully bums, the poop is x 3 bully, snoring is x3 noisier as there's 3 piggy snouts

but all that goes out the window with x 3 bully love, priceless ;)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well usually three are no problem, but 3 males can be a problem. I would be very careful bringing in another male to the mix. They may all get along well, but then they may not. It's a good idea you are taking your boys to meet him and see how they do, but it will be different when you get home. Definitely will have to stay on top of them with their training and showing them you are the alpha. Usually a male and female get along better then two or three males do, but I have had females who didn't get along with either sex. We have had 7 at one time and it went well, but I do notice that they all can't get the attention they may want. Right now we have 3 bullies and 3 Frenchies and everyone gets along very well.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My household has alternated between 2 and 3 dogs many a time due to fostering. I personally see no difference between 2 and 3 as long as you can afford all 3. You still spend about the same amount of time feeding, grooming, etc...
The only difference is that instead of a bulldog on each side...you will be staring down at 3 wrinkled faces :)

Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.