Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
This should get interesting. I saw this on the DogsNaturally Magazine email.

Pet food giant Purina has announced, that they’ve filed a lawsuit against The Blue Buffalo Company Ltd for false advertising. This lawsuit follows on the heels of a decision by the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus in March of this year, in which NAD found Blue Buffalo’s advertisements for their BLUE brand products to be misleading and disparaging against competitors’ products. NAD’s investigation took place after a complaint by Hill’s. [h=3]Purina’s claim[/h] Purina now alleges that although Blue Buffalo’s advertising claims their products contain no chicken or poultry by-product meals, testing by an independent lab (hired by Purina) showed that Blue Buffalo’s Life Protection products do in fact contain poultry by product meal in considerable amounts – over 20% in some cases.
Purina also asserts that several of Blue Buffalo’s other products contain corn, other grains and preservatives when Blue Buffalo advertises otherwise as part of its “True Blue Promise”.
Purina’s suit alleges “false advertising, commercial disparagement and unjust enrichment”. The complaint filed in the state of Missouri (where Purina says Blue Buffalo is building a new factory in Joplin) goes into considerable detail about Blue Buffalo’s advertising claims, especially the fact that the Blue Buffalo advertising specifically compares their ingredients as well as processing and nutritional standards favorably against those of other well known brands.
Apparently Blue Buffalo’s advertising (which according to Purina cost over $50 million in 2013) must have been quite successful because Purina’s complaint contends that Purina has suffered “irreparable harm to its reputation” was well as economic harms including losses in sales, while Blue Buffalo “unjustly profits as a result of its false advertising and false comparative advertising tactics.”
Purina is demanding a jury trial and has asked the court to take several actions. These include requiring Blue Buffalo to discontinue their current line of advertising and engage in “corrective advertising”; they’re also asking that Blue Buffalo to pay Purina “treble actual damages, costs and reasonable attorneys’ fees” as well as Blue Buffalo’s profits and cost savings resulting from its “false advertising practices”.
[h=3]Right back at them![/h] On the other side, Blue Buffalo appears unintimidated and has responded to the lawsuit with a strongly worded press release of their own. Blue Buffalo categorically denies the allegations and states that “unlike Nestle Purina” they do not use chicken by-product meal, ground corn or artificial preservatives in their products. They accuse Purina of engaging in voodoo science to support their outrageous allegations.
Blue Buffalo says they’re disappointed in a $100 billion dollar company like Purina filing a “baseless lawsuit” against a family run business. Blue Buffalo’s stance is “when we’re right, we fight” and they look forward to seeing Purina in court.

This could get interesting….and in the process we may learn a lot more about both companies’ ingredients and manufacturing practices!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
This article makes me mad for a few reasons. Most people myself included look for a great food that promises no ------- (insert whatever ingredient) for a specific reason whether allergies or otherwise . I switch loki last year to a food that claimed no chicken , was supposed to fish. He broke out in hives in a matter of hours stumped I looked at the bag to see that towards the bottom Chicken. Dog food should be regulated just like him an food :)

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Well this does not surprise me at all. Let's be honest look at all the crap they are putting in human food and passing it off for this and that. They are now genetically modifying seeds for crops. We eat that people so if they are more than willing to mess with our food and our health they are not going to all of a sudden care what happens to our pets. They will pass anything now a days for the right amount of $$$$$$

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you for posting this, David!

I don't trust many food companies, their quality control officers or
that the govt laws and their officers, human or animal. Its mostly
for show, there's corruption, out right lying & cover ups.

Such a shame, rising rates of cancer, tumors, autism, autoimmunes
and other diseases are decimating the populace :( Paying all time
high costs too! Disgraceful, worrisome and overwhelming for all.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Well this does not surprise me at all. Let's be honest look at all the crap they are putting in human food and passing it off for this and that. They are now genetically modifying seeds for crops. We eat that people so if they are more than willing to mess with our food and our health they are not going to all of a sudden care what happens to our pets. They will pass anything now a days for the right amount of $$$$$$

That is a Fact!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Someone else posted this last week too..... just goes to show how disguesting they all are as Purina is most likely just P.O'd at a loss in sales to Blue.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

You hit the nail on the head w/this one!!! This is JUST the tip of the iceberg, and pets are at the bottom of the food chain as far as companies are concerned...
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]
Thanks for posting this… I agree this should be interesting to see what is "discovered" about BOTH dog foods. It also is sad because both of them are considered TOP brands here in the states.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.