Human Food

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
What human foods do you feed your bullie and why? I see where a lot of people feed their babies certain things so I'm just trying to learn the benefits. 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I cook different meats, eggs, rice, fresh and frozen veggies for the boys b/c I like to know what ingredients they are eating and I want to make sure they are getting "whole" foods vs. processed. Tate gets tear stains and Finn gets itchy skin so I was hoping the home-cooking, less processed food would help. It has and it hasn't...still an ongoing journey. Now, I don't do this year-around as I will "break" from home-cooking and then give them a good quality kibble but the majority of time I do make their food for them.
They also get plain yogurt for probiotics, and pure pumpkin for extra fiber, blueberries for anti-oxidants.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, we also give all natural supplements and treats to our two guys, for two reasons, one is the same as Henny, to make sure that what they do get is free of the chemicals, preservatives and additives that the dog food companies add to their treats. Two of my co workers dogs died of kidney failure a few years back due to chicken jerky treats from China, these treats were recalled, but many dogs got sick or died from them, and now they are back on the market. They said it was from Glycerin in the food, but there are so many preservatives put in dog foods, you don't know what you're getting.
I also home cook some of the time, I do on occasion make my own dog cookies, using ingredients like oatmeal, flour, peanut butter, eggs, etc. just plain limited natural ingredients, you can find lots of great recipes on the recipe forum, or I have also looked on line and found many good recipes for dog treats. I don't give a lot of treats to my guys, but they do get some human foods as supplements, we give them plain unsweetened yogurt everyday on their morning kibble, for the probiotics, they are good for digestion, and also boost the immune system, which helps them to fight infections, and also helps with skin and allergy issues. We add 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, it is a natural anti inflammatory, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so again boosts the immune system, and balances the Ph levels of the blood. We also add 1 Tbsp. of salmon oil or cod liver oil, but you can also use coconut oil as an Omega Oil source, it's very food for the brain, skin, and hair. For human foods we only give fruits and vegetables, not all at once or all together, but one day they will share half a banana each, they get cut up apples another day, we also give them blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, green beans, cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, I give them peanut butter as a treat, I also use it when I give them medication, they get a hard boiled egg once or twice a week, and we get them a baby cone or kiddie cone with frozen vanilla yogurt in it when we go to the ice cream store in the summer time, just once in a while. When I want them tomdo something, like sit, stay, come, etc, or if I'm trying to teach them something, I just use a couple of pieces of their own kibble. I hope this helps.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I use frozen veggies as treats just to lessen calorie intaken

Bruiser11214

Apr 21, 2014
Portland, Maine
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruiser
Mine is on a Raw dry dog food and I have a strict no human food policy w/only limited organic healthy treats w/limited ingredients. Otherwise, I am dealing with gas and much more pooping! Fruits and vegetables are great, but sometimes I find even those can give them gas! Carrots are a great treat.

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
string cheese as a training treat.

peanut butter for kong stuffing.

Also let her lick plates after supper.

weekly weights to make sure she isn't gaining.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Meatball gets blueberries, bananas, bacon, strawberries, cantaloupe, yogurt, cottage cheese, pineapple, cheddar cheese, carrots, whatever falls on the floor from breakfast, lunch, and dinner, eggs. Man he eats better than me :)

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
I just started a few days ago cooking all of Patton's meals. The recipe I'm using now has lean ground beef, low sodium chicken broth, a small amount of cottage cheese and beans, we switch up the kinds of beans. Tonight we are going to try putting an egg on top for the first time. He loves his new home cooked meals!

OP
Rigginsluv11

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Thank you all for the information! Riggins does not get any human food at all. And sad to say that he doesn't even get any treats really. I tend to give him pieces of his dog food as his treats. Poor guy. 😞 My vet did say that carrots and green beans are great low calorie treats. But I'm always reading that others give their bullies different foods so I've wanted to learn the benefits of why like the yogurts and cottage cheeses and whatnot. I feel bad for Rigs that he doesn't get to eat anything fun. He does have hip dysplasia so keeping his weight under control is so important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online