Growth beyond 6 months

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
She has now gone about a month with no weight gain. I don't think she has gotten any thinner or taller either.

I know this is an old thread I'm still on page 2. I've owned 3 golden retrievers and was always told not to neuter or spay them until 18 months due to the fact it changes something and makes them taller and skinnier. One of the golden's I have it was even in the contract that I wasn't allowed to neuter until 18 months.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
Just an update on Lola. She is currently 19 months old and weighed in at 37.4 pounds today. Her vet says she is just a few pounds over weight and she would like to see her stay around 33 pounds. I'm still in search of a food that won't make her skin itchy and pink. She has also developed two patches that are balding. The two patches are in almost identical spots on the sides of her body. I did give her coconut oil a while back to see if it would help with her itchy skin and after a couple of months it didn't seem to make any difference so I stopped giving it to her. I may try that again though. Here are a few pictures I took today. You will notice the balding patch and I also included a close up of one of the patches. Overall she is doing really well (except for her skin issues). The last few months she has been eating Natural Planet™ Rabbit & Salmon Entree Grain Free food.

View attachment 87549

View attachment 87548

View attachment 87547

View attachment 87546

View attachment 87545

View attachment 87544

View attachment 87543
Does anyone have any idea what might cause the spots where her coat is thinning?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It kinda looks like seasonal flank alopecia. Melatonin can be used for that. I believe Lynn [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] has had this. Lynn, what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes,
@pcchenard that certainly looks like seasonal flank alopecia.Maude had it the summer before last,(before I was giving Melatonin) on both sides. The hair grew back on one side, but she has a big bald black patch,that did not grow hair on the other side. This winter, I gave them melatonin, Martha got black on both sides, but did not lose hair, and now the black is almost all gone.I don't think Maude's hair is going to come back. You can give 3 to 5 mg. For her weight, I would use 3.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes,
@pcchenard that certainly looks like seasonal flank alopecia.Maude had it the summer before last,(before I was giving Melatonin) on both sides. The hair grew back on one side, but she has a big bald black patch,that did not grow hair on the other side. This winter, I gave them melatonin, Martha got black on both sides, but did not lose hair, and now the black is almost all gone.I don't think Maude's hair is going to come back. You can give 3 to 5 mg. For her weight, I would use 3.

You're the best Lynn [emoji173]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
Thanks for the info. I had not heard of that before. I'll do some research and talk to my vet about it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online