pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
Have you tried adding canned pumpkin to her food? Not the pie filling but regular pumpkin?

I'm assuming you are talking about the canned 100% Pumpkin? Which happens to be right next to the easy pumpkin pie mix in the store.

How long should it take to see a difference?

- - - Updated - - -

I would also give her some plain yogurt every day. It will also help her digestion. Mine (the smaller ones) get a tablespoon w a little food before bed every night. You could give it any time of day. They love it! I would not cut her food down. She is still a pup.

I'll keep this in mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm assuming you are talking about the canned 100% Pumpkin? Which happens to be right next to the easy pumpkin pie mix in the store.

How long should it take to see a difference?

Right, you don't want to giver her pie mix, it'll take a week or 2 to see the difference. How is she doing?

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Right, you don't want to giver her pie mix, it'll take a week or 2 to see the difference. How is she doing?

She is doing OK. I have given her 1 teaspoon twice per day (with each meal) for the last two days. She just isn't growing. I just weighed her today at lunch time and she was still only 26.6 pounds. She seems to be putting on about 0.2 pounds per week.

I would like to increase her food back up to at least 2 cups per day to see if it will help her grow, but every time I increase past 1.5 cups (0.75 cups twice per day) she gets really soft stool.

I think she is just going to be tiny. Oh, I did find out that her dad is in the 55 pound range for weight.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
IMHO she is an absolute doll and I love her tiny or big she is a dream to me.

Shihtzustaff

Apr 30, 2014
Maple Ridge, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Stevie Ray
You could try supplementing with some raw chicken. Dogs chew up raw chicken bones like eating potato chips. The bone content, besides giving the best nutrition your dog can get, will also firm up stool.

I am not sure what the foods are that you are feeding but if they are kibble-based they are not the best nutrition for your dog. A raw diet with some veggie/fruit matter is best for dogs. I know a lot of people are uncomfortable feeding raw but it really does not get any better.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

She is doing good. A little over a week with the pumpkin (a heaping teaspoon 2x per day, although some meals I forget) and her stool has definitely firmed up quite a bit. I weighted her this morning after her potty break and she weighed 26.8 pounds. So she is still on the 0.2 lbs per week weight gain path. If that holds true for the next few months she will be about 30.6 lbs at one year old.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad her poo has settled. How does she look though? Does she look thin? If not she just may be a little lady :).

Something you could try is adding a splash of goat milk to her food. Its like moms milk so it shouldn't cause any digestive issues but if you try it, do it slowly because you just got the poo sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Glad her poo has settled. How does she look though? Does she look thin? If not she just may be a little lady :).

Something you could try is adding a splash of goat milk to her food. Its like moms milk so it shouldn't cause any digestive issues but if you try it, do it slowly because you just got the poo sorted.

I think she looks pretty good...not too thin. She's just small. Here are a few pictures from a couple of weeks ago.

LolaOnDoor.jpg

LolaSittingInBackSeat.jpg

LolaTongueOut.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The pumpkin has definitely helped firm up her poo, which has allowed me to increase her food a little bit. For the last couple of weeks she has been eating just a little less that 1 cup 2x per day. I weighed her two days ago and she was up to 28.2 pounds and she looks a little thicker. Obviously some of the weight is fat but she still looks good and I can still feel her ribs with no problem.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The pumpkin has definitely helped firm up her poo, which has allowed me to increase her food a little bit. For the last couple of weeks she has been eating just a little less that 1 cup 2x per day. I weighed her two days ago and she was up to 28.2 pounds and she looks a little thicker. Obviously some of the weight is fat but she still looks good and I can still feel her ribs with no problem.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Great update! Slow and steady growth is much better. Excellent.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
She looks adorable, I'm so glad she's feeling better

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just an update on Lola. She is currently 19 months old and weighed in at 37.4 pounds today. Her vet says she is just a few pounds over weight and she would like to see her stay around 33 pounds. I'm still in search of a food that won't make her skin itchy and pink. She has also developed two patches that are balding. The two patches are in almost identical spots on the sides of her body. I did give her coconut oil a while back to see if it would help with her itchy skin and after a couple of months it didn't seem to make any difference so I stopped giving it to her. I may try that again though. Here are a few pictures I took today. You will notice the balding patch and I also included a close up of one of the patches. Overall she is doing really well (except for her skin issues). The last few months she has been eating Natural Planet™ Rabbit & Salmon Entree Grain Free food.

IMG_20150527_175724741.jpg

IMG_20150527_175615092_TOP.jpg

IMG_20150527_175539227.jpg

IMG_20150527_175518648.jpg

IMG_20150527_175508789.jpg

IMG_20150527_175453161.jpg

IMG_20150527_175009558.jpg

Members online

No members online now.