Peeing in the kennel

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor Rigby aka. Ellie 4 years and Beaux who is 4months.
We adopted Eleanor back in February from a breeder who was going to show her but decided against it. She was given to us with the agreement to spay. Once we got her home to Texas from Arkansas, we came to the realization that she spent most of her life in her crate, in our opinion. She was very timid and it took her awhile to come out and interact. Now she has settled in perfectly with our family and is loved.

Now that you have a little background here is the issue we are having with Eleanor. She has done OK with potty training. We figured because of her previous life there was no "training" really. So we have helped her learn. In the last few weeks however she has started to pee on the pillow or pad in her crate and then fold it up. Almost like she knows what she did and then doesn't want to lay on it. This happens during the day when she has spent close to 30 minutes outside. She comes in goes to the kennel and pees, then folds it up and lays down. we have adjusted the divider in the kennel to give her less room. I threw the old pad out after several washing's and then bought her a new one. I thought maybe she didnt like it or it was too warm. Well, the new one lasted one day before she peed on it. Now she is laying in her kennel with no padding at all just on the plastic bottom. I am not sure if she is being weird or something else.

I also don't know what to do to get her to go outside. If anything is going on outside she gets scared and wont even go to the grass to pee, or she just sits on the patio and then comes in and pees on my carpet.

What advice can anyone give. I am not sure what else we can try.

Thanks!

ellie2.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
many here have had this issue and i am sure they will be along to help.... couple things to think about -- leave all the bedding out of the crate till she 'gets' it and try to keep her outside till she does potty and they treat her and give lots of praise (if you not already)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Both my bullies came to me, older & w/potty issues. Both finally got it
and both went thru regression & had to retrain but finally house trained.
Take out all padding & bedding until done and some will always pee in
their crates. Some leave old towels, blankets down and launder daily.
Consistent & often, potty schedules, put on leash, take to potty spots,
wait them out then praise excessively w/special treat. Some have good
luck w/hanging bells on door you want them to go out from and teach them
to paw the bells. Just be kind, calm, patient & consistent, they WILL get it.
My Brutus was crated excessively and had several owners. He was such a
wonderful bully, It took him awhile to fully come out of his shell, learn to feel
safe, learn to play, etc...when he did, it was awesome! Its so worth all the
time & frustration when they blossom out, so rewarding and the love they
give is overwhelming. GOD bless you, she is stunningly beautiful and so lucky
to live in your loving, safe & forever home <3

OP
A

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the feedback so far! I appreciate it!! I forgot to mention that she is 10 months old, and we are spaying her at 1yr.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the feedback so far! I appreciate it!! I forgot to mention that she is 10 months old, and we are spaying her at 1yr.

Perfect! It took Brutus about 3 months to really trust me.
Cami is more reserved and altho very sweet, to give me her
trust & whole heart, about 5 months. Ellie, in 3 more months
will be a different bully, I promise you. It takes awhile for that
fear of everything to dissipate especially, the excessively crated
and no time spent with them. Bullies are so social and part of our
insane love for them is because they want to be WITH you, always.
Cami is my constant companion, even has to be touching me in her
sleep, lol Nothing like bully love <3

OP
A

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
you are so right! Ellie and my 6yr old are BFF. She waits by the door for her to get off the bus and always very interested in what she is doing. I love it!

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
you are so right! Ellie and my 6yr old are BFF. She waits by the door for her to get off the bus and always very interested in what she is doing. I love it!

The spay may help a lot, at her age...hormones surging (bullies mature
late, about 2) so peeing now, in her kennel could be related to marking
especially as she's settling in and claiming her territory.

I'm moving to Temple, just 2 hours from you...when I'm settled in, maybe
have the girls meet one Sat & play :)

Annabella

May 16, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella
My Annabella is 2-1/2 years old and she is housebroken, but for some reason when given a pillow(which she loves)she pees on it and folds it in half or just turns it over completely to sleep on...we have gone through this ever since we had her (we got her at 10 weeks)I'm really thinking she is marking her territory, which I hear is unusual for females but I can't explain any other reason for this behavior.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Annabella is 2-1/2 years old and she is housebroken, but for some reason when given a pillow(which she loves)she pees on it and folds it in half or just turns it over completely to sleep on...we have gone through this ever since we had her (we got her at 10 weeks)I'm really thinking she is marking her territory, which I hear is unusual for females but I can't explain any other reason for this behavior.

It doesn't seem unusual for female EB's, many of whom are very dominate.
Cami @ 6 yrs old is house trained but will still pee on any towel, pillow or blanket
left on the floor. I don't crate her anymore but if I did, would have nothing in there
because she will pee on it.

ZuleikaD

Mar 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tallulah
Yep. Tallulah has the same issue. She's 4-1/2 and re-homed to me about 3 months ago. She peed on her new bed a bunch, but we finally got that to stop. But she can't be left in her crate with bedding--pad, blanket, anything. And it's not about how long she's been there or when she last peed. She will hold it for ages and a day. For now, I've taken all the bedding out of her crate. Hopefully, she'll get better with it eventually.

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
When roxy was little she was doing the same. She would pee on towels, blankets, pillows if they would be in her kennel. She eventually stoped it ( I was cleaning her bed daily). She is now 2 years old hasn't done it in months. However Diesel, who will be 4 years old he still does it. I got Diesel back in January and the lady who I got him from told me about it. I still gave him a blanket and he hasn't peed in there for two week and then he started doing it again. He would sleep on in and stink sooooo bad that I would have to give him baths almost daily , so I took all of it out and let him sleep on the plastic. I don't know how to help to stop it but I see this is normal of our bullies :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mia Amore

Apr 28, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
I just wanted to say ur bully is gorgeous. Nice coloring. 😍

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

B

Baxter Tiberius

Its good to know others have these issues :) I dont feel so crazy about it anymore. You talk to a dog trainer about actions like peeing in crate, or peeing in the house if something outside is scary, and they will tell you its a training issue. But it can't be coincidence that we've all got the same problems. Must be a breed thing.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online