Possible seasonal allergies? What ya' think?

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Possible seasonal allergies? What ya' think? UPDATE!!

I haven't had Dooley a full year yet, I think that will be June 7th, so I'm still new to the EBD world. I wanted to get a couple opinions on a couple things from you all, the experts. He has been eating Fromm Beef Fratatta (sp) w/ a squirt of Salmon oil basically since I had him and he has been doing great. No real issues at all. In the last two months I've noticed his eyes watering a little more than usual. He has always had a tiny bit of watering. Nothing bad at all but now they are starting to smell sour and Ive noticed a small bit of goop in the mornings when he wakes up from time to time. His nose rope also is a little more pink than normal, but otherwise seems ok. I usually clean it several times a week with ma la ket wipes. Last week he has started licking his front paws. He has never done this before and just last week I had to bring him in for an ear infection.

Are all these signs of seasonal allergies, a food allergy or something else? I have been giving him one benadryl in the morning and evening with his meal thinking this may be seasonal but not really seeing a change. I have stopped giving him the salmon oil as of two days ago to see if this helps with anything and when this bag of food (almost empty) is finished I was going to switch and try a anew Fromms flavor.
Oh yea, Im in Louisiana, the pollen capitol of Earth.

Thanks for your help.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Paul, all of his symptoms are signs of allergies, they can be signs of both seasonal or food allergies. Since he's been on the Beef Frittata for so long, I wouldn't think it would be food related, but it was a good idea to discontinue the salmon oil, as bullies can be sensitive to both chicken and salmon. My female Blossom has chicken and salmon allergies, so we also feed Fromm's Beef and she gets cod liver oil instead of salmon oil, but once it's finished, I'm going to switch both my bullies to coconut oil instead of giving one salmon oil, and the other cod liver oil. I've heard lots of great things about coconut oil. I think Dooleys symptoms are probably more due to seasonal allergies, spring is here, and the pollen is really bad. Everyone I know is having itchy watery eyes, runny nose, and sneezing. Keep an eye on him, continue with the Benadryl, and see if it passes after the spring season. I hope he feels better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All sounds seasonal to me.... try giving two Benadryl in the AM and two in the PM. When Banks was on the Beef Fritatta she still had very minor issues (yeast - white potato), but once I went to the Pork/Peas... it all stopped

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sounds seasonal to me as well… my bullies didn't do well on the salmon oil either. I ended up giving them coconut oil instead… Good Luck!!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree with Monica and Christine, I would try him out on the Pork and Peas flavor. I would start giving him a teaspoon of plain yogurt every morning with his breakfast too, it's a wonderful probiotic and helps with allergies. I hope it clears up.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I concur with the others. Sounds like seasonal allergies.. Harlea didn't do well on the salmon oil either. She had horrible tear stains so she gets coconut oil like the others. As we have been fighting MRSA as well as seasonal allergies we also give her a half a teaspoon of raw local honey and we are starting to see some results from that as well.

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Thanks everyone for your advice. I knew y'all would put my mind at ease.
I am interested in this coconut oil people seem to be switching to. I may try this myself along with the yogurt. One thing at a time of course. Id rather smell coconut than fish guts when he comes to give me kisses after eating. For the life of me why he likes to do this is beyond me. Maybe its payback from me rubbing crap in his face/folds all the time.

Thanks again!!!
IMG_3598.jpg

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I concur with the others. Sounds like seasonal allergies.. Harlea didn't do well on the salmon oil either. She had horrible tear stains so she gets coconut oil like the others. As we have been fighting MRSA as well as seasonal allergies we also give her a half a teaspoon of raw local honey and we are starting to see some results from that as well.

What benefit does the honey provide? Other than yummy goodness of course.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It can help build immunity to seasonal pollens in your area that cause allergy flare ups.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I will have to keep this in mind as I transition with the other foods and whatnot. Thanks!

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
UPDATE

Ok so we are now on pork n peas and so far so good. It's only been a couple days so let's not get ahead of ourselves here..... His tear stain has cleared up almost completely. He also has been off the salmon oil for 10 days now and his skin is starting to dry out. I notice when I pet him he gets flakey In that area. And shedding, WOW. He walks around looking like Pig Pen from peanuts. There is a dust cloud when he shakes off. Ok maybe not quite that bad but it's far worse than I've ever seen. He is still licking his paw and is getting a hot spot. I've been treating it with some spray from the vet but he keeps licking it off. It's a battle that he's winning unfortunately at the moment. Next step is to bandage the foot. I WILL win in the end. Lol.
I want to introduce some sort of oil like coconut since many of you here are using it with great results. Are you using it in scoop form? I can't find it in pill or pump. Any help on this will greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 109

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UPDATE

Ok so we are now on pork n peas and so far so good. It's only been a couple days so let's not get ahead of ourselves here..... His tear stain has cleared up almost completely. He also has been off the salmon oil for 10 days now and his skin is starting to dry out. I notice when I pet him he gets flakey In that area. And shedding, WOW. He walks around looking like Pig Pen from peanuts. There is a dust cloud when he shakes off. Ok maybe not quite that bad but it's far worse than I've ever seen. He is still licking his paw and is getting a hot spot. I've been treating it with some spray from the vet but he keeps licking it off. It's a battle that he's winning unfortunately at the moment. Next step is to bandage the foot. I WILL win in the end. Lol.
I want to introduce some sort of oil like coconut since many of you here are using it with great results. Are you using it in scoop form? I can't find it in pill or pump. Any help on this will greatly appreciated.

LOOK at that face.... what a handsome boy!! Are you giving any type of Benedryl or Zrytec? dome of it could be environmental. i am at a loss on the cocnut oil too.... I tried to hide the scoop in the food and they both spit it out

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Yes I am giving two Benadryl at every meal.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Can you get some betadyne from your vet? If so, soak the paws in diluted betadyne once a day. The soak will allow it to absorb into the pores. It will kill yeast and bacteria both. Also some yogurt for probiotics may help if you haven't tried that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.