Need some advice PLEASE!

beckylu00

Apr 29, 2014
So my boy Rocco has hives they come and go.we dont go back to the Dr. Til Tuesday the 13. We gave him benadryl didnt help much so we took him back and dr gave him pills a little stronger the benadryl. I gave it to him the day we got them.I didnt like how drowsy it got him.he did stop scratching, but a few days later he started scratching again so I gave him one pill.he was fine. Then my sister called he and said his tummy was all red that it looked like a rash.so she took him in.dr said he had a logic reaction to something he came in contact with so they gave him two shots.I told here can it be the pills she said she dosent believe is it, but it could be.so hes on zertx.she want to try and see how he dose. Last Tuesday he was looking really good.then last Thursday night got hives. :( and itchy. Sorry so long but my question is should I just give him chicken and rice til I go back to see the vet? Right now he eats blue buffalo freedom.I also make his food.I cook chicken with sweet potato., peas, carrots and blueberries. Im so overwhelmed it brakes my heart seeing him itchy. Thank u so much for taking the time to read. This is Rocco
y4ymu9ar.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, it could actually be the chicken that is causing the hives, itchiness, and allergy symptoms. A lot of bullies are allergic to chicken, including my female Blossom. We switched her food 4 times before we found one that she tolerated. She used to get pink skin, itchy paws, licking her paws and pink warm ears. We switched to Fromm's Beef Frittata grain free 21 months ago and she's been fine since then.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think Monica is right, it could be the chicken. I would switch to boiled ground beef instead of the chicken in the bland diet that you're giving him and see if that helps.

OP
beckylu00

beckylu00

Apr 29, 2014
[MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] I was doing beef but raw and we stoped cause we thought it was beef. [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] did u do an allergies test to fined out that beef was ok?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
No, we didn't, we just switched her to Fromm's Beef after trying royal Canin from the breeder,then Fromm's Puppy Gold, then Go Natural, all were chicken based and gave her terrible hives, and other allergy symptoms. Then we tried Fromm's Beef, which she did really well on, and after a few months I decided they might like another flavour and since all Fromm's are interchangeable without having to transition I bought the Salmon flavour which gave her the symptoms all over again, so we went back to the Beef, and she's been on it for 21 months and doing really well. We just knew from trial and error what she doesn't tolerate.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
How old is he? Have you been feeding him chicken for a while without a problem? It could be the chicken, but it could also be seasonal allergies. A lot of bullies are having problems right now.

Blue also gets hives. Benadryl doesn't work for so we give him 5mg of Claritin every 12 hours and that gets rid of the hives.

Allergy testing won't help with food. It can't correctly determine what protein/grain your bulldogs allergic to. You need to do an elimination diet with a protein he's never tried before. Speak with your vet to get more info.

OP
beckylu00

beckylu00

Apr 29, 2014
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] thank u. How long did u give the food before u changed it? 1 week 2 weeks? [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] Rocco 11months. And yeah hes had chicken for a while. Since we got him its been one thing after another. Its so hard to see him itchy. Im thankful I found u all.I dont feel alone. I just want him to b happy and normal.

Just dont know what to do.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Have you tried other proteins like lamb or turkey or fish?

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
If the hives are on areas that come in contact with grass, it could be that as well. My last bulldog was very allergic to the grass.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
My Bullies have a bad reaction to chicken too. We have Buster and Miss Tallulah on raw venison ( comes frozen and we thaw it before serving) plus Acana grain free beef and buffalo. Their skin and poops are good now.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
My thought is it could be the chicken! It does it too Meatball. Also have you changed detergents? Certain detergents mess Meatball up hen I wash his blankie. Third, grass! Whenever meatball goes out and lays in the grass to sun, the itchiness comes right after.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, Becky it can take up to a month before you see any changes or benefits from a food change, as this is how long it can take for the old food to leave his system.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a sweet face your Rocco has!!! Chicken could be the issue, my girl gets hives from it. She also gets pink ichy skin from salmon.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/the gang… sounds like chicken could be the culprit. Also don't rule out grass… we had a dog allergic to grass, and she was miserable outside.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@Vikinggirl thank u. How long did u give the food before u changed it? 1 week 2 weeks? @Blueberrys Mom Rocco 11months. And yeah hes had chicken for a while. Since we got him its been one thing after another. Its so hard to see him itchy. Im thankful I found u all.I dont feel alone. I just want him to b happy and normal.

Just dont know what to do.

Considering it's allergy season, and his hives and itching started recently, I wouldn't change the food out (yet).

Try Claritin. For a 60 lb bullie I give Claritin (unflavored) 5mg ever 12 hours. Or, the 10mg every 24 hours. The Claritin needs to be unflavored.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.