marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
Just a FYI....I don't use either but thought some may be interested

PPUA_052014_01_Hero.png
Dear Pet Owner,
Purina believes that honesty is the most important ingredient in the relationship between pet owners and pet food manufacturers, so that pet owners can have trust in the food they choose for their pet.
In the interest of ensuring pet owners understand what is in the pet food they buy, on May 6, Purina filed a lawsuit in U.S. Federal District Court in St. Louis against The Blue Buffalo Company Ltd., for false advertising. We took this action because we believe that Blue Buffalo is not being honest about the ingredients in its pet food.
Here are some facts we’d like you to know:
Blue Buffalo’s promotion, advertising and packaging repeatedly and unequivocally state that its pet food products contain “NO Chicken/Poultry By-Product Meals.” As documented in our lawsuit , however, testing conducted by an independent laboratory revealed that several of Blue Buffalo’s top-selling “Life Protection” pet food products actually contain substantial amounts of poultry by-product meal.
Independent testing also shows that Blue Buffalo “LifeSource Bits” contain poultry by-product meal and corn. In addition, several Blue Buffalo products promoted as “grain-free” actually contain rice hulls, despite Blue Buffalo stating on its website that its “grain-free” products will “free your pet from the grains and glutens that cause allergic reactions in some dogs.”
Our lawsuit follows decisions against Blue Buffalo by the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus. In March 2014, NAD found Blue Buffalo’s advertisements to be misleading and disparaging against competitors’ products. NAD also found Blue Buffalo’s advertising deceptive in a 2008 decision that recommended its superiority claims be modified and its “NO Animal By-Products” claims be discontinued when referencing pet food products that actually do contain animal by-products, such as fish meal, lamb meal and/or liver.
For more than 85 years, Purina has been putting pets first and raising the standards for pet nutrition – from innovative research, to food safety, to sustainable practices. We are invested in the quality of our food because we are a company of pet lovers. Our principles have guided us to take this action to stop misleading and deceptive advertising aimed at pet owners.
We encourage you to learn more about our case, Nestlé Purina PetCare Company v. Blue Buffalo Company Ltd., Civil Case 4:14-cv-00859 and the NAD decisions. View the press release.
At Purina, what goes in the bag goes on the label.
– From the Pet Lovers at Purina

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Could be why there have been several pups whom Blue Buffalo did not agree with.?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
OMG, I have been using Blue basics Turkey and potato sensitive solution. It has been working out great, no throwing up for Brutus. Bru had been on RX food and I thought this would be better for him. Do I have to worry about this??? I really really don't want to have to switch his food again with all the trouble I had with him.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Very interesting....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Very Interesting??? I want to rip my hair out and run around screaming, I'm so mad!!! Should I leave my baby on this if I'm not having a problem??? Why can't people just be honest? I'm seriously about to have a freakin fit. :censored:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Very Interesting??? I want to rip my hair out and run around screaming, I'm so mad!!! Should I leave my baby on this if I'm not having a problem??? Why can't people just be honest? I'm seriously about to have a freakin fit. :censored:

Don't freak, I would stick with it if it works. If this is true that Purina actually put this out makes me think that the pot is calling the kettle black here.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Don't freak, I would stick with it if it works. If this is true that Purina actually put this out makes me think that the pot is calling the kettle black here.

I will try to relax. It just makes me mad that I took him off RX food that was agreeing with him because I knew it wasn't the best for him, and I switch him to something that might not be any better?? Hopefully Purina is only trying to get some customers. Just because they have a lawsuit doesn't mean what they are saying is true.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I will try to relax. It just makes me mad that I took him off RX food that was agreeing with him because I knew it wasn't the best for him, and I switch him to something that might not be any better?? Hopefully Purina is only trying to get some customers. Just because they have a lawsuit doesn't mean what they are saying is true.

I would/would have done the same thing.

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
Daisy is also on Blue Buffalo Basic Grain Free Turkey & Potato. I have seen so much improvement in her skin, coat, & eyes since switching from Science Diet (what the breeder was feeding her). I am reluctant to change her food because of this. Purina is not saying it's a bad food, just that it's not exactly what BB is claiming it is. I agree with the "why can't they just tell the truth" statement I read somewhere in the thread.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

Based on what I understand by-product and "meal" to mean, I think Purina is probably exaggerating the situation.

FYI: According to Dog Food advisor: Basically, animal by-products are what’s left of a slaughtered animal after the edible parts have been removed. They include the waste[SUP]2[/SUP]of meat processing not intended for human consumption. For example…
  • Feet
  • Backs
  • Livers
  • Lungs
  • Heads
  • Brains
  • Spleen
  • Frames
  • Kidneys
  • Stomachs
  • Intestines
  • Undeveloped eggs
But there are exceptions…
Giblets (livers, hearts, gizzards and necks) as well as other organs can be sold as edible meats or used generically to make hot dogs, bologna and sausage.

They further go on to say that what makes it controversial, is how the product is handled after slaughter. Meaning, let's say that liver should be refrigerated after slaughter to preserve its freshness. If it's left out, it's no longer
fit for human consumption. BUT, that same liver that was left out is still allowed to be used in your pets food.

So there's really nothing wrong if Blue Buffalo contains many of the above ingredients. I mean a lot of them are fed as part of a healthy raw diet to many bullies.

As far as "meal" goes- all that means is ground up and dried, as opposed to fresh. You actually want an animal "meal" in your dog food because it's dried (packed) and contains a higher protein count than regular meat since the water is removed. So ounce for ounce, you get more protein.

So is a by-product meal bad? No, not necessarily.
BUT, there are two grade of by-product meal: 1. Feed by-product meal 2. Pet by-product meal. I think as long as the food names the animal protein by-product meal, it should be fine.

It's really confusing and there's a ton involved. If unsure, just contact blue buffalo, ask what offals they use for their by-product (and from what animals), and if their by-product meal is feed grade or pet grade.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Based on what I understand by-product and "meal" to mean, I think Purina is probably exaggerating the situation.

FYI: According to Dog Food advisor: Basically, animal by-products are what’s left of a slaughtered animal after the edible parts have been removed. They include the waste[SUP]2[/SUP]of meat processing not intended for human consumption. For example…
  • Feet
  • Backs
  • Livers
  • Lungs
  • Heads
  • Brains
  • Spleen
  • Frames
  • Kidneys
  • Stomachs
  • Intestines
  • Undeveloped eggs
Giblets (livers, hearts, gizzards and necks) as well as other organs can be sold as edible meats or used generically to make hot dogs, bologna and sausage.

They further go on to say that what makes it controversial, is how the product is handled after slaughter. Meaning, let's say that liver should be refrigerated after slaughter to preserve its freshness. If it's left out, it's no longer
fit for human consumption. BUT, that same liver that was left out is still allowed to be used in your pets food.

So there's really nothing wrong if Blue Buffalo contains many of the above ingredients. I mean a lot of them are fed as part of a healthy raw diet to many bullies.

As far as "meal" goes- all that means is ground up and dried, as opposed to fresh. You actually want an animal "meal" in your dog food because it's dried (packed) and contains a higher protein count than regular meat since the water is removed. So ounce for ounce, you get more protein.

BUT, there are two grade of by-product meal: 1. Feed by-product meal 2. Pet by-product meal. I think as long as the food names the animal protein by-product meal, it should be fine.

It's really confusing and there's a ton involved. If unsure, just contact blue buffalo, ask what offals they use for their by-product (and from what animals), and if their by-product meal is feed grade or pet grade.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Agreed!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

• Feet
  • Backs
  • Livers
  • Lungs
  • Heads
  • Brains
  • Spleen
  • Frames
  • Kidneys
  • Stomachs
  • Intestines
  • Undeveloped eggs

Excellent post!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:ponder: guess Purina is hurting in sales department

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.