Jumpin JOE

SirJoseph

Feb 16, 2014
Northern Nevada
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Joseph AKA JOE
JOE jumps on 'new' people or people he hasn't seen in a long time...I know he is just greeting them in his own way but he needs to stop it. I'm not quite sure how to train this out of him. He gets scolded and corrected (making him stop) but he still does it...He is 60lbs of solid and you feel it when he jumps on you...He needs to learn how to be a better host - haha

At least he's not humping anyone's leg...YET...haha :)

Any training suggestions on this issue? Thx

Have a great day! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
In the house keep him on leash till he settles down and use the leash as a correction tool... tell visitors to not pet or say Hi, they should ignore him till he settles down, if he goes to jump lift your knee enough that he jumps into the knee and makes him go back down. it is going to take a lot of time and patience, but it works. keep treats handy to reward when he is being a good boy and not jumping.

When Banks was a pup, we had he on leash and tethered to the banister in the living room whenever company came over.... took a few visits, but she got the hint real fast when people arrived and she was not getting any attention

OP
SirJoseph

SirJoseph

Feb 16, 2014
Northern Nevada
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Joseph AKA JOE
In the house keep him on leash till he settles down and use the leash as a correction tool... tell visitors to not pet or say Hi, they should ignore him till he settles down, if he goes to jump lift your knee enough that he jumps into the knee and makes him go back down. it is going to take a lot of time and patience, but it works. keep treats handy to reward when he is being a good boy and not jumping.

When Banks was a pup, we had he on leash and tethered to the banister in the living room whenever company came over.... took a few visits, but she got the hint real fast when people arrived and she was not getting any attention

Thanks! I will try this tonight...My mom is coming for a visit from DC and a couple of her friends are coming with her for dinner and they are elderly, 70+ all of them and I'm thinking that ol JOE might do some damage...I'm used to getting hit at top speed when I come home from work, like a short stocky version of Dino from the Flintstones, but I don't think mom and her friends will find it very amusing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks! I will try this tonight...My mom is coming for a visit from DC and a couple of her friends are coming with her for dinner and they are elderly, 70+ all of them and I'm thinking that ol JOE might do some damage...I'm used to getting hit at top speed when I come home from work, like a short stocky version of Dino from the Flintstones, but I don't think mom and her friends will find it very amusing.

LOVE the dino reference.... :rofl: and have to agree, it will not go over to well with Mom!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I concur. One of the first things we worked on with Harlea was how to greet people. She has to sit or lie down when anyone comes up to her. If she starts getting a little jumpy I just tell her to greet or paws on the ground and she stops until the other person acknowledges her. The best place we found to work on it was a pet store as everyone wants to pet a bully.... lol. The hardest part is getting other people to not acknowledge her until she has all paws on the ground. It will take some time but Joe will get the hang of it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Great advice above. :2thumbs:

Members online