Bodie won't eat kibble...

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been around in a while, we've had a lot going on!
For the last couple of weeks, Bodie has decided that he doesn't want to eat his kibble! Which is NOT like him! We've had a few times where he just didn't feel good or didn't like "new" foods we had introduced but he'd been eating this kibble for months with no issues. Then one day he trotted up to his bowl after 5-10 mins of convincing, he took 2 licks of the juice, and RAN away! Some days he won't even get up to go to his bowl and other days he'll go over, smell it, and turn and run away!! Anyone know why he'd be acting this way? Today, he did eat some kibble, however, I had to take a piece of ham, break it up, and spread it throughout the bowl on top if the kibble. Plus, he was more than likely just plain "hungry"! We've been making him hamburgers on the grill, not daily, but one every so often only because he needs to eat something!! Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?
We know he hasn't really been feeling great either. His skin is still really bad and because he continually rubs his face on everything, infection and yeast have moved into his left ear pretty badly. Yesterday, sometime during the day while I was outside, he scratched both of his shoulders till they bled and when I noticed it, I also noticed a very pungent smell. Well, that smell was from the ear! He had also scratched on it until it had bled and when I pulled his flap back, it was horrific!! I did my best to clean it out, but it was very red and swollen and itchy!! Oh how I wish he would just get better. We feel so helpless. Tried everything under the sun and nothing seems to work, at least nothing works for more than a month. C'mon vets and scientists, we're waiting on that miracle!!!

BullyLove!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If he is allergic to storage mites and they are in everything he is eating (kibble) his belly has to be upset and causing him to not feel well.
Have you given any more thought to feeding home cooked food with a supplement? Like ground beef or turkey with some veggies mixed in? There are a few members that do home cook and found it to be best for their bully

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Meatball went through this for a good 2-3 months. He just started eating his dogfood again, he's back to normal. Now, he wasn't feeling crappy like your bully, but man I didn't know what to do during this period. Seriously wouldn't finish his food, would take a bite or two and be done. Maybe they go through these picky phases like human toddlers do?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
poor little Bodie. sure hope all of his issues will be resolved soon. i thought you would try cooking for him or try raw? i feel for you and the little man :(.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
What food is he eating? If it has "corn" in it, throw it out. Plus you can try putting some Feta cheese in the food and he should gobble it up.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Also...his ear could be one of two things. Yeast or ear mites. Have the ear swabbed so the vet can determine what it is and what strain it is.

CharleisMom

Mar 18, 2014
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlei
My heart goes out to Bodie & family. Thoughts and prayers to this precious little guy in hopes he can catch a break!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Toni, so sorry you're going through this with Bodie. I don't have any experience with yeast or ear infections, but I do have lots of experience with food allergies. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains. We have our guys on Fromm's Beef Frittata. Which brand of food are you feeding Bodie? Does it have chicken, corn or grains in it? A lot of skin issues, itching, paw licking, yeast and ear infections are caused by food allergies. The vets will usually prescribe antihistamines, steroids or antibiotics, or a combination of these. They work while taking them, but also can make the symptoms worse especially with antibiotics, as they can cause yeast problems. Have you tried rinsing Bodie with apple cider vinegar and warm water after his bath? Use it as a final rinse after his shampoo, and leave it on. You can use hydrogen peroxide in his ear to help get rid of the yeast in his ear canal. Also give him lots of probiotics on his kibble, put 1 or 2 Tbsps. Of plain unsweetened yogurt or plain Greek yogurt on his food everyday, the probiotics will aid in his digestion, and will replace the good bacteria ( gut flora) in his stomach that gets killed off with antibiotics and other medications. It will boost his immune system and help him fight off infections. You can also add apple cider vinegar to his drinking water everyday, it boosts the immune system as well because it kills the bad bacteria in the body, and it also balances the Ph levels in the body. I hope you find a solution to his symptoms and that Bodie feels better soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Toni, so sorry you're going through this with Bodie. I don't have any experience with yeast or ear infections, but I do have lots of experience with food allergies. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains. We have our guys on Fromm's Beef Frittata. Which brand of food are you feeding Bodie? Does it have chicken, corn or grains in it? A lot of skin issues, itching, paw licking, yeast and ear infections are caused by food allergies. The vets will usually prescribe antihistamines, steroids or antibiotics, or a combination of these. They work while taking them, but also can make the symptoms worse especially with antibiotics, as they can cause yeast problems. Have you tried rinsing Bodie with apple cider vinegar and warm water after his bath? Use it as a final rinse after his shampoo, and leave it on. You can use hydrogen peroxide in his ear to help get rid of the yeast in his ear canal. Also give him lots of probiotics on his kibble, put 1 or 2 Tbsps. Of plain unsweetened yogurt or plain Greek yogurt on his food everyday, the probiotics will aid in his digestion, and will replace the good bacteria ( gut flora) in his stomach that gets killed off with antibiotics and other medications. It will boost his immune system and help him fight off infections. You can also add apple cider vinegar to his drinking water everyday, it boosts the immune system as well because it kills the bad bacteria in the body, and it also balances the Ph levels in the body. I hope you find a solution to his symptoms and that Bodie feels better soon.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I di dhave a problem with Ftse that he would not eat so I changed his food and now he eats he just did not like Royal canine, I would probably try the diet suggestion that Christine @2BullyMamma said. and for the ear I would visit the vet for a proper diagnosis. Hope you get it all worked for Bodie

OP
BodiesMom

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
Thanks everyone for the replies! He's been on Merrick Duck and Sweet Potato for a few months now, it doesn't have grains, by products, fillers, corn, or gluten. He was eating it fine up until a couple weeks ago. We actually just received the bag of Fromms Pork and Peas that we won from the March Madness contest and he's eating it! However, because I can't get it locally, idk if we'll be able to switch him to it. When I got it in the mail, I immediately separated it into freezer bags and have it frozen, only leaving out enough for a couple days at a time. Hoping this will help with the storage mites..fingers crossed! We really had been thinking about raw or cooked, I've just found it to be very overwhelming with what to give, what not to give, supplements, etc... So we're still "up in the air" on that decision.
Concerning his ears, it's yeast! We've dealt with yeast issues it seems like since day 1, so I'm 99% that's what it is!! It is just so frustrating because he's going back on antibiotics and I know this will ramp up the yeast, it ALWAYS does, but thank you, Vikinggirl, I'm going to start the yogurt and other things to boost his immune system. I've known about the yogurt, but was unaware it would help to boost it! We did do the apple cider vinegar in his water for a while, but ended up stopping because after weeks/months we didn't notice any difference, but I'm going to start that back up again also. Bodie is a weird one though! He'll actually drink the vinegar right from a spoon, straight!! I won't even do that!! Lol!!
I do want to Thank everyone again for all the info and ill try my best to keep y'all updated !!

BullyLove!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online