Fenced in back yard on hot days

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Never let your bully out unsupervised in the heat. They are BULLheaded, and as good as that warm sunshine feels, they just don't get it when it's time to get out of the sun!! Bogey will PROSTRATE himself on the hot driveway- I have to physically move him off the hot tar and onto the cool grass. Just remember, an overheated bully is a dead bully! Block the doggie door and turn up the AC!!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Unfortunately the old line"If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" doesn't apply to bullies. Chum would roast in the sun if I let him!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Oregon. 75 degrees. You would think it would be okay....but literally a short amount of time and both his dogs died. Heat stroke..... Chad Watson, the guy who brought us the Kool Collar. I do believe one of the dogs was a bulldog...but I can't remember.
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] lost her baby when he went outside and didn't return. Here is her story about Bentley. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...lldogs-amp-heat&highlight=sheshistory+bentley

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks for linking to my story [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] ... don't make the same mistake I did! Always be vigilant with your bully outside, even if it's not "THAT" hot or he's been outside without incident before!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
B

BanditBowlin

Apr 19, 2014
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit
I do appreciate all the information. Is there a certain temperature point where I shouldn't let him out in??

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I do appreciate all the information. Is there a certain temperature point where I shouldn't let him out in??

As [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] quoted above, a 75* Oregon day & short amt of time...both
both bullies died. So...to be safe, at that temp or above, only potty and right
back inside. Even at 68*, if very humid, only potty breaks then back inside.
Bullies are highly sensitive to both heat & humidity and once overheated, its
difficult to save them...DON'T TAKE THE CHANCE.

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
In my opinion, if you are not home to supervise your bullie, he should be inside. I just feel like you never know what can happen with other issues even if the weather is cool. What if another animal were to get into your yard and you were not there to protect your baby. Or bad weather rolled in and they got scared and didn't get inside. Or there are lots of pups being stolen from backyards and other areas and resold. I just feel like your precious baby is safest inside if you are not there to watch him/her, no matter what the temp. 😊Better to be safe than sorry. ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
One more thing...and the potty training will definitely come! 😃They have such little bladders so as the get older, it will get better. Keep up the good training and patience. Your babe will get it too! 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BanditBowlin

Apr 19, 2014
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit
Thanks Carol and Riggins.

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
Brynnlee does the same thing - sits and sun bathes. I have to make her get up to just drink water at times. I take her out for about 20 minutes or so and always carry water with me and then we go right back inside. If she is with me in the car during the summer the AC is always on. Bulldogs are way to stubborn for their own good!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I myself would keep him inside when you are not home as they will just lay and cook themselves. My Ftse's litter brother died from heat exhaustion and apparently was not outside all day either.

CeeMeFree01

May 14, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sasha
Please don't leave your bull dog outside unattended for long when the temperature is over 80 degrees. I lost my dog yesterday. She was only 18 months old. My son came home from college and let the dog outside while I was at work. He left her outside as we had previously done with her during cooler temperatures. I came home yesterday only to find her dead in the backyard. I am absolutely devistated and heart broken. He said she was only out there 3 hours but it was too late. My 11 yr old daughter who we bought the dog for thinks she ran away. Our dog slept in my daughters room every night and followed her around everywhere she went. I only wish I could go back two days. I can't but you can. Take it from me, these dogs can not take the heat.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Please keep your Baby Bully inside, put him in his playpen while you are at work, the heat will kill him, My Bully, Elmo goes out the doggie door to do his business, I go out with him, when he is finished I make him go right back inside the house. You will probably have to clean up his pee pee and poop, but that is so much better then having to bury him.

simplehermit

Jul 25, 2013
Delaware
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
You're right, BanditBowlin: This is "a really excellent community". Lots of support, knowledge, wisdom, love and kindness. I guess we're all under the influence of our DOGS :smilet:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Please don't leave your bull dog outside unattended for long when the temperature is over 80 degrees. I lost my dog yesterday. She was only 18 months old. My son came home from college and let the dog outside while I was at work. He left her outside as we had previously done with her during cooler temperatures. I came home yesterday only to find her dead in the backyard. I am absolutely devistated and heart broken. He said she was only out there 3 hours but it was too late. My 11 yr old daughter who we bought the dog for thinks she ran away. Our dog slept in my daughters room every night and followed her around everywhere she went. I only wish I could go back two days. I can't but you can. Take it from me, these dogs can not take the heat.

I am so so sorry to hear this, poor baby. Saying a prayer for you and your family. :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.