Fenced in back yard on hot days

BanditBowlin

Apr 19, 2014
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit
I looked around and couldn't find any threads on what I'm looking for.

I am a first time bully owner. I have a fenced in back yard and my bully has a playpen inside with a doggie door. He's learned how to use the doggy door and tends to stay outside quite a bit now. It's getting pretty hot and he is still wanting to be outside in the middle of the day, most of the day. It's getting near 85 outside and I've read they can not be out when it's very hot for more than a couple of hours. Should I try keeping him in, in the middle of the day when I'm at work, or do you think he will learn to come inside when it get's too hot for him?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I wouldn't let him outside except to do his business when it's going to be that hot outside. Bully's can't take the heat at all and it will cause heat stroke which is fatal.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
My Meatball has not learned to come inside when he's too hot! We have to physically carry him out of the sun. Some bully's LOVE sunning, to the point that they don't care they are overheating! I wouldn't take the chance of leaving him until you are sure he's one of those bully's that will get up and move when he's too hot:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with the others.... if you are not home to monitor him, keep the doggie door blocked. These babies do not know when to go inside.... they will stay out all day if they can.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I concur with the others. If you are at work and no one is watching him he would most likely stay outside all day because he likes it and it is very dangerous for him to do so. It is getting hot here as well and even when we are watching Harlea when we go out we have to force her in when she is sunning because she likes it so much she will not move unless we get her.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It is already 84 degrees here. My dogs plop down in the sun, and I have to make them come inside. They would probably stay there(in the sun) until they were dead!
Of all the kinds of dogs I've had-the bullies(who shouldn't have too much heat) seem to stay in the sun more! I would never trust them to decide for themselves. I have a doggie door that was never installed for that reason.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
84 deg--- it was a scorching day in the uk, we had shorts on, BBQ on the go, it was 22deg....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Riggins has no idea when he needs to go inside. It's been high 80's, close to 90 and he just wants to go lie in the grass or in the cool dirt. He refuses to come in when I call him. I have to go out and pick him up to brig him in. There is no way I would have him out unless he is going potty this time of year. Unless of course he is playing in his kiddie pool which I try to keep in the shade. And as soon as we are done with that, it's inside for the bullie! He's far too precious to risk! ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, as others have said, they will not come in when they get hot, they will stay out there and die in the heat. I would block off the doggie door.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I totally agree with everyone above, I definitely wouldn't let your baby outside in the heat unless you are with him and are supervising him. He shouldn't be out for more than 15 or 20 minutes. If you weren't home and he were to get outside through the doggie door, and he didn't come back in, he could overheat very quickly and he would be in trouble if he didn't come inside and cool off. I wouldn't take the chance.

OP
B

BanditBowlin

Apr 19, 2014
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit
Thanks for your replies. I will continue to leave him inside, in his playpen while I'm at work. I do keep it blocked off. His playpen is about 3 1/2 feet by 6 feet. I feel like for a 11 week old pup this might not be enough room for during the day? I'm just laying down the pee pads which he's doing "ok" using and then trying to house train him when I get home. Hoping that as he get's older he'll be able to wait till I get home to let him out to "do his business"? I am consistent with the house training, but it often feels like I'm not getting anywhere. :p (This is a really excellent community!)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He will get it the older he gets. You're doing the right thing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He will get it... Good rule if thumb... They can hold their bladder one hour more than they are months old, at 11 weeks, he can inly hold for about 3 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Please, please, please don't let him use the door when you're not home. A very dear friend of mine lost his bulldog on a day that never got over 77 degrees. His dog went out for a nap and passed away from the heat. It is a scary idea that they won't even go inside if they are stroking.

OP
B

BanditBowlin

Apr 19, 2014
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit
Thanks for the reassurance, Phil, Christine and Kori. I would have thought it's be ok for him to be out most of the day at highs 77 degrees??

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online