Anyone else have a pup that is scared of everything?????

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Bocephus is my third bulldog but my first one I have had as a puppy. I adopted the other two when they were at three years old. Both have now passed, and Bocephus is an only dog. He seems frightened by so many things. I'm wondering if this is just a puppy phase? He barks when the house makes a noise, he won't potty outside if there are neighborhood noises or even if the garbage cans are out in the curb. He seems to be totally calm and then if the dryer beeps, he will start growling. He doesn't get yelled at and he's only 7 months old so he's always been treated like a baby.

I just wonder if I can do anything to help him with his nerves? Has anyone else gone through this with their puppies? Any advice would be appreciated. He has no fear of people or other animals, it just seems like inanimate objects and noises freak him out.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Kori, my Dozer is afraid of everything, even his own shadow. Poor thing. He has been skittish of things since we got him at 10 months old. He is afraid of loud noises in the house, if we drop something, or the vacuum, the garbage can, the oven door, the dust broom and dust pan, when we are outside he will not walk along the sidewalk because he's terrified of the noise of the traffic going by, he's afraid of rain and thunder, bikes, and any loud noise outside. He has never barked, but he shakes when he is scared. I feel bad for him because he is such a sucky guy, and is such a snuggle bug, he looks at me with those big saggy eyes, and he looks so sad, like a little old man. He won't walk for more than 5 minutes, and then he stops, lays down and all 4 legs go out to the side, and he goes on strike, won't walk. Blossom has so much energy and loves to walk, she will walk forever if you let her, so she goes on longer walks and Dozer doesn't. I don't know how to get him not to be so scared other than try to help him get used to things, I take him on walks along the road to get him accustomed to the traffic, and I try to lengthen his walks a little more each time. I'm curious to follow this thread to see what others suggest to you, and get some tips, because he really is a scaredy bully.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bulldog = inanimate object fear..... my girl is the toughest thing in the world (in her mind) but is terrified of any noise the house makes or a plastic bag being on the floor :blink:

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Not much help here with advice, Bazza and 2 1/2 years old, he doesn't growl and bark as such, but will not enter the rooms if it has something in it that hasn't been in it before, doesn't like the vacumm or hairdyer, hates our stand up lamps, scared of really windy days when things are rattling, and the list goes on and on. But he is happy and doesn't not effect his life so I haven;t worried about it too much.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Welcome to the fearful world of bullies!! Bogey is afraid of.....where do I start?!?!? Aluminum foil- the container coming out of the pantry will send him scurrying to the other side of the house! ONE of my kitchen chairs- the one nearest the doorway to the kitchen. He cowers every time he walks by it. The IDENTICAL chair on the other side does not bother him. Then there is garbage night- our neighbors cans in their driveway will freeze him in his tracks- nope, can't go out if the evil cans are there. And then there is our resident bunny who lives under a bush in our front yard- if he rustles the bush, Bogey runs and cowers! When we walk in the dark, he is CONSTANTLY looking over his shoulder- like- "somebody's following me!" He freaks me out sometimes! And of course there are the Sandhills cranes which TOTALLY frighten him- especially when they start squawking! He breaks world records getting back to the front door with that noise. BUT, I can use my leaf blower with him directly in front of it, and he sits and stares it down, and refuses to move. And then there is the squirrels, doves and turtles in my back yard- although he doesn't seem fearful of them, he is very respectfulmand if they are there, he will sit and watch this they go by. It's quite comical!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea is afraid of leaves floating in the wind, the broom, feather duster, and a good many loud noises. Oddly enough she isn't bothered by leaves on the ground, the vacuum, steam mop, bugs or plastic bags. However, if you want to make her really mad just try being the squirrel, bird or possum in our back yard. She gets really angry at them for invading her space. Yet frogs are considered playmates to her.... lol

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Mine just this past weekend apparently noticed for the first time the light switches on the wall and proceeded to hide behind the couch and bark for a solid 10 minutes. Try picking up your Bully high enough to sniff the switches so he will stop barking all while squirming about scratching and growling. What a big baby.

Like Christine said, Bulldog = inanimate object fear.....

Mia Amore

Apr 28, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
When your puppy was a baby was she afraid of everything? Did it just start progressing over time? Just want to know what I'm in for later. Should I introduce her now? She doesn't mind the vacuum now.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
When your puppy was a baby was she afraid of everything? Did it just start progressing over time? Just want to know what I'm in for later. Should I introduce her now? She doesn't mind the vacuum now.

I would introduce her to as many things a possible. I do this and think it helps him not be so timid around new things. He was literally scared of his shadow at night. Now hes fine. Dooley still dosent like the vacuum as he will go in the other room when I have it out. But when Im cutting the grass he will run right up to the lawn mower. You figure that one out :confused:
It gets better with age, she will be fine as she gets older.

Mia Amore

Apr 28, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Ok will be I introducing her to my everything everyday routine. Thank you for the advice my neighborhood is pretty busy and I want to be able to walk her past my drive way later on. Thanks again.

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I want to be able to walk her past my drive way later on.

I know the feeling. It took us a couple weeks to get comfortable walking about.
Sunday was trash day so we couldn't go past the mean old trashcan monster at the street. He must have been abused by a trashcan in a prior life. :scared:
Monday he noticed the mail box and turned back quick.
Tuesday was trash day at the neighbors, see Monday, same outcome.
Wednesday he was afraid of something in the road and we had to return back home. Made it 15' from the driveway.
Thursday was trash day again so see Sunday, and Monday.
Friday I gave up before trying. Had Beer instead, Dooley had water
Saturday we got two or three driveways down and i believe the Ice cream man came whizzing by with that loud siren. He wasnt having it so we turned back.
Sunday, well yep trash day again.....

Fast forward a year and now he is good to go. Pees on every trashcan and mailbox on the block. :2thumbs:

Mia Amore

Apr 28, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Oh man you had me laughing so hard. I want to say poor thing but the way you worded that was so hilarious. Well I guess in the end he owns them now trashcan and mailbox. So this was all when he was a puppy? Huh I can't say she is to afraid of stuff yet. But I'm sure it will come my way as I have read on here.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
I used to have a American bulldog named Luca. Well Luca was scared of her own shadow. I would take her for walks and pray she didn't notice the mailboxes, at this point we lived in the city. With every mailbox she saw she would run around me until I was tangled in the leash. She even took me out a few times running from balloons hanging outside of people's houses for birthdays! Seriously, it got so bad, that we stopped taking her for walks. Some people even suggested a trainer to help her with her fear. She never changed:(

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
i know the feeling. It took us a couple weeks to get comfortable walking about.
Sunday was trash day so we couldn't go past the mean old trashcan monster at the street. He must have been abused by a trashcan in a prior life. :scared:
Monday he noticed the mail box and turned back quick.
Tuesday was trash day at the neighbors, see monday, same outcome.
Wednesday he was afraid of something in the road and we had to return back home. Made it 15' from the driveway.
Thursday was trash day again so see sunday, and monday.
Friday i gave up before trying. Had beer instead, dooley had water
saturday we got two or three driveways down and i believe the ice cream man came whizzing by with that loud siren. He wasnt having it so we turned back.
Sunday, well yep trash day again.....

Fast forward a year and now he is good to go. Pees on every trashcan and mailbox on the block. :2thumbs:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Oh man you had me laughing so hard. I want to say poor thing but the way you worded that was so hilarious. Well I guess in the end he owns them now trashcan and mailbox. So this was all when he was a puppy? Huh I can't say she is to afraid of stuff yet. But I'm sure it will come my way as I have read on here.

:ROFL:

Staff online

Members online