Charlei ate turf builder fertilizer!!!

CharleisMom

Mar 18, 2014
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlei
So Charlei busted out of the house and ran to our neighbours and of course she needed to munch on the lawn. They fertilized 2 days ago, (but watered it for several hours last night)
I went into panic mode calling my vet and the poison control centre of the Fertilizer company. I am in Canada and most of our fertilizers here are 100% corn gluten (I believe this is what my neighbours used) so they said she may vomit or have diarrhea.

Just wondering if anyone has been in this situation? anything additional I need to be aware of?
She seems to be acting normal, and we gave her tons of ice chips ( can't force her to drink water and she thinks ice chips are treats )

Snail last week and fertilizer this week (amongst several other ailments she has going on..) my hair is going to be grey in no time!!!:nervous:

Charlei 2.jpgCharlei 1.jpg

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Oh Chelsea, I know what you're going through. I'm hoping your pup feel better soon. They are so naughty! Mine is driving me to drink I swear haha.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my… well I would suggest making sure he gets plenty of water, and keep an eye on him. I haven't dealt w/this one yet, but I never say never anymore...

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Being the lawn was fertilized 2 days ago and watered in is huge in your favor. Keep an eye on him like you're doing but I think you're going to be ok.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is sure keeping you on your toes! Keep us posted on how she is....

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Chelsea, I agree with other comments, that Charlei will probably be okay, especially since it has been a couple of days since the lawn was fertilized, and it was watered, so would be diluted. Also if its corn based, it should be okay. Make sure she gets lots of water, and keep an eye on her. What did the vet say to look for? I know you will worry regardless. I know here in Canada, the government has banned the use of harmful pesticides and weed chemicals, so She should be okay. Please keep us posted on how she's doing.

Is Lawn Fertilizer With Weed Control Poisonous to Dogs?
by Lisa McQuerrey, Demand Media
Dog Care » Pet-Related House & Yard Care » Is Lawn Fertilizer With Weed Control Poisonous to Dogs?

Look for pet-safe fertilizers and weed killers.

Many different types of chemicals that homeowners use on their yards have the potential to make their dogs sick. Fertilizers, weed-controlling agents and bug sprays all have the potential to give your dog gastrointestinal upset. There are ways, however, to minimize the toxic impact, allowing you to maintain a nice yard as well as protect your dog’s health and well-being.

Lawn Fertilizer

If you’re having your yard professionally landscaped or fertilized, ask about whether the products are safe for pets. Many landscape companies will recommend a waiting period before allowing your dog or cat on the grass after fertilization. According to the ASPCA, while the weed-killing agent in fertilizer can upset your dog’s stomach, eating the fertilizer itself can lead to more serious problems, such as bowel obstruction.

Chemical-Soaked Bugs

Your dog has the potential to get sick from eating bugs that have eaten weed-killer-soaked fertilizer. While it typically takes ingesting a large volume to have a serious impact, if your pup has a sensitive stomach, he could have digestive upset from even a few chemical-soaked bugs. If you have low areas of your yard that collect rainwater, these too can be laced with runoff from chemicals used to treat your lawn, so steer away your pup or drain the pools to guard against drinking.

Toxic Plants

Some pet owners mistakenly think their dog becomes sick from weed-killing agents used in fertilizer, when in reality, their dog has ingested a toxic plant that recently was fertilized. According to the ASPCA, several plant varieties are toxic to household pets. These include azalea, rhododendron, oleander, lily of the valley, foxglove, rosebay, sago palm and kalanchoe, as well as cocoa mulch. For a full list of pet-toxic plants, visit the ASPCA website.

Signs of Toxic Ingestion

If your dog starts to foam at the mouth, has difficulty breathing or develops a rash after coming into contact with weed killers or other chemicals like insecticides, contact your vet. If you fear your dog has ingested a toxic plant, take your pup to a medical professional and bring a piece of the plant.

Chemical Alternatives

There are a variety of natural and pet-safe products on the market that allow you to maintain your yard while minimizing the potential negative impact on your pet. Keep in mind that dogs can be impacted in a variety of ways from chemicals. They can ingest chemicals, roll in fertilizer and get chemicals on their fur and skin, as well as absorb toxins through the pads of their feet.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
In that first pic, she looks like she's trying to tell you "it wasn't me". She's beautiful.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.