Horrible Gas and runny poop

jennylynnstevens

May 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Winston
Hi Everyone!

I am new to the group and hoping to get some help with my bully's HORRIBLE gas and runny poop. He is currently eating Royal Canine Bulldog formula and I am thinking about switching to Nature Variety Instinct food after reading this site's recommendations. What do you guys do to help with these issues? I've tried raw pumpkin, metamucil, multiple food brands and nothing is working. I live in a condo community and trying to pick up the cow plop in the grass is super embarrassing. Watching TV is not relaxing because we are constantly sticking our nose under a pillow because the gas is so bad! Last night he let one out almost every time he moved!

Please help!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Sorry to hear about Mr. Winston tummy troubles… if I were you I would just go ahead and put him on a bland diet. Rice with boiled chicken or sirloin, and then gradually (over 10 days) introduce him to the new food. I also give my dogs a tablespoon of plain fat free greek yogurt every morning to help with the gas. Pure pumpkin (NOT the pie filling) will usually firm things up, but you said you already had tried that… watch on the treats as well. Try to stick to one protein at a time and watch for allergies.

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
lord igor (aka iggy pup), bones and blue
I use probiotics and emzymes daily which helps with the farts. When there is a gas issue we add keifer - a little bowl of blueberry keifer clears it right up.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:welcome: to EBN!! You've got great advice above, I totally agree that the bland diet and then the gradual shift to the new food will help immensely if not wipe out the bad gas completely.

OP
J

jennylynnstevens

May 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Winston
Thanks everyone! I'm out of the old food and the bland diet will be a good way to slowly introduce the new food. I never thought of using Keifer so I'm going to try that too. Happy weekend!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
With bullies best to keep a grain free diet. No corn wheat or soy. Read the labels on dog food to be sure. Human snacks not recommended. Except the probiotic yogurt, bananas, pumpkin etc which is great. Buster and Tallulah rarely have gas now that they are on food they tolerate. Raw venison and Acana beef and buffalo. ( Canadian) And poached salmon Chicken was a big contributor to runny poop so it is not part of their diet anymore. Some bullies cannot tolerate beef. Also over feeding and over treating can cause the runs big time. You will figure it out with trial and error. Be patient. There are definitely some serious food tolerance issues at play here. I use a tablespoon of Kaopectate mixed with probiotic yogurt on a spoon if they have a bout of diarrhea. It usually clears up in a day. Good luck!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Jenny and welcome to you and Mr. Winston. You've already got a lot of great advice from above members, we had to change our guys food 4 times before we found one that they tolerated. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, they started on Royal Canin from the breeder, but after reading the dog food forums we tried a couple of different brands before finding Fromm's Beef Frittata. They have been on this food for 21 months and have been doing really well on this food. Their poops are firm but soft, they go twice a day, and very rarely have gas. We add plain unsweetened yogurt to their morning kibble, and salmon oil to their evening kibble, as well as we add apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: :welcome3: to EBN .... that gang has you covered so i just wanted to welcome you to the crazy bulldog forum :D

Maruko

Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
Hi, Welcome!

Mine used to have really horrible gas, and almost non stop especially during night time even when she dreams. :whew:

I have been giving her plain non fat yogurt twice a day as treat and limited her other treats to one. (I use to give her different brands) This really solved the problem, no more smell! Yogurt is also a benefit source to prevent yeast.

When I switched food, I did slowly but still experienced soft stools, but it will get better soon.

Good luck!

Guidoi

Apr 17, 2013
Coconut Grove, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Clementine
I give my Clementine Natures Variety Instinct Raw Boost (about two handfuls) and four medallions of the Natures Variety Instinct Raw Grain Free Frozen OR a patty of Bravo! Frozen in the morning. This has kept her from having any farting issues or diarrhea... Anytime she has these issues is when she gets a hold of food she isn't supposed to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions