What could it be?

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I was holding ruthie, I put her on the bed, picked her up and noticed a blood stain on the bed. I checked around and saw she was bleeding from her shoulder. I took her to the bathroom and got some tp to clean it and a whole bunch of puss and blood came out. I trimmed back the hair and while blood was gushing out with puss I noticed a small hole where it was coming from. This came out of no where, she was at the vet Monday. I haven't felt this before seeing blood coming out of it. It's like a huge knot on her shoulder. Any clue what this could be? A cyst? Ingrown hair? I'm taking her to the vet in the morning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmmm… that's weird. Probably an ingrown hair, or maybe her & Brutus were playing and he got a bite in. I would clean it out real good, and check it in the morning...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with everyone else, it could have been an ingrown hair that you didn't notice under her hair, and it got infected, and finally just popped, a cyst, or like Tracey mentioned, maybe she got bit in play, and it got an infection in it. Since the blood and pus came out, I would clean it good with hydrogen peroxide, and put some Polysporin on it. Check it in the morning, and if you're still worried or if it looks infected or red again, take her to the vet to have it checked out. Depending on if it still looks infected, or how deep the hole is, she may need antibiotics to clear up the infection. I hope it's nothing serious, and Ruthie is okay and it heals up soon. Please keep us posted on how she's doing and what the vet says. Hugs and prayers for you and Ruthie.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great suggestions above, could also be a small abcess, if you can soak it with warm compress to releive the puss out if it you may not need a vet visit. Do you have any betadyne?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Had this happen with Nitschke once.... it was an infection from a bite (Banks :stinkeye:) that we never knew happened.

Please let us know what how the vet appointment goes

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
This morning it was very hard, like smaller than a golf ball and seeped only a little bit. I cleaned it with Vertrycin and put some Mupirocin which i had conveniently left over from an abscess i had. I'm going to call the vet and take her in tomorrow. It seems a little sore today since i was messing with it last night so i thought it might be better to let it be. It also seems to be in the same spot where she had her tick bite MONTHS ago???? She is just breaking my heart, I can't seem to get her healthy :(
Here is a picture of it and her cause i'm her mama and i love to share my sweet little girls face LOL.

IMAG1037.jpgIMAG1038.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh wow a tick bite? I would definitely take her in then. Maybe some of the tick body was left in there, and that caused the infection… did they put her on antibiotics for the tick bite?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
She's such a cutie, Jennie. Really adorable.

Could it be that the tick bite got infected? There's a spot on Blue's neck that had a tick. Our vet removed it, shaved his neck and cleaned it. The spot is still there and the hair hasn't grown back. It's also hard. Who knows what goes on with these babies.
I would keep it clean and use the Mupirocin for now. Don't think the vet will do much more other than give her antibiotics.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
It was all the way back in fall when she had that tick. Do you think that could be the cause? I can't be sure it's in the same exact spot, but i know it's close. The vet said it was ok, no antibiotics and the hair grew back...this is just now showing up. I have felt nothing on her and i'm all up in her business all the time.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It was all the way back in fall when she had that tick. Do you think that could be the cause? I can't be sure it's in the same exact spot, but i know it's close. The vet said it was ok, no antibiotics and the hair grew back...this is just now showing up. I have felt nothing on her and i'm all up in her business all the time.

Who knows what it could be? ingrown hair, tick bite, Brutus nipped her too hard, or even an allergic reaction to an insect bite.

Like I said, I would just keep it clean and use the antibiotic ointment. If it doesn't start to clear up on it's own after a few days, then I'd probably see the vet.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Who knows what it could be? ingrown hair, tick bite, Brutus nipped her too hard, or even an allergic reaction to an insect bite.

Like I said, I would just keep it clean and use the antibiotic ointment. If it doesn't start to clear up on it's own after a few days, then I'd probably see the vet.
OK! Thank you! I'm worried for her. It's been one thing after another and i can't keep her on the right side of healthy.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
OK! Thank you! I'm worried for her. It's been one thing after another and i can't keep her on the right side of healthy.

I understand. It's the same thing with Blue- one thing after the other. But don't drive yourself crazy, it won't help her or you. :hug:

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
As of this evening, the swelling has gone down, still seeping a little and very pink....pink means infection. Vet tomorrow morning. What scares me is that my parents are going through the same thing with their one golden. A huge cyst just showed up and started seeping. They did surgery, the cyst is cancerous, now their golden has another one and they will probably have to put her down. I know there is a high chance this is not the case with ruthie. It still makes me think though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm really happy you are taking her to the vet. Maybe it is like was said part of the ticks poison that just never went away and maybe that's why she's been so down lately. I'm so sorry you and her have to go through this, I would feel the same way. We love you Ruthie!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online