Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fatso, Romeo
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chronic ear infections..trying a new medication this time

@Blueberrys Mom thanks for the info..I did plan on taking him to the dermatologist for the test..can I ask what symptoms blueberry has? And do your test results mean then that he has food and environmental allergies? And have you used benedryl as well?

Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fatso, Romeo
    Likes (Received)

I have recently switched to a grain free diet and am giving only fruit and veggies as treats..much to the disdain of my other boy who really is not a fan of the new treats..It's been about 2 months since I've switched..

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Julzz9170 His symptoms are itchy skin, cysts on his paws, excessive licking (paws), yeast, and sometimes hives. The scratching got so bad his belly and face were bloody.

We normally clean his ears weekly with Malacetic Otic, but since it's allergy season and I see him pawing at them, I've been cleaning them every 3-4 days with Malacetic Otic Ultra (the ultra has a hydrocortisone in it and helps the itch). I know you said he won't let you touch his ears, maybe muzzle him for a minute while you do it? They have soft breathable mesh muzzles these days. Speak with your vet about it.

We did try Benadryl but it never worked for us. What did work, but only on his hives was Claritin, 10mg per day and it must be unflavored. There's also Zyrtec and I think someone here gives Allegra. One of these may work for you.

The first test he had done also tested for food allergies. But they added food only because I requested it. Turns out, these tests can't really determine what food they're really allergic to. Only an elimination diet can do that. So the second time he was tested, food wasn't included.

Is he allergic to food? Maybe. But he's been on grain free since he was six months old and he's now 17 months. We've tried various proteins and still have an issue. So in our case, i think it's more environmental.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads