Another Fiona and Herschel Update

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Well, I wish I could say that they have had no issues with each other, but that's not the case. We have had two fights. Luckily, while they are trying to assert their dominance over one another, they both look at me as the alpha so even tho they were full on fighting, I raised my voice and yelled "NO!" and they froze and scattered... Herschel into his crate and her to a chair. I am a very, very laid back, peaceful person so me raising my voice really means something to them.

What were the triggers? Well, the first time, Fiona stepped on Herschel's toy. She didn't want the toy, but it made Herschel angry and the second must have been one of the dog pillows.

Scary, yes... but after reading about Winston and Jack, I was prepared!

Other than those two incidents, they have been getting along pretty well. They chase each other around outside, walk on the leash together like pros (even though Herschel wants to go faster than us ladies). They even sat together at the Blessing of the Animals like little angels. They sleep on the bed all cuddled up. I think they are making progress.

Fiona is very demanding. She will push her way in between me and Herschel, she will get a little running start and barrel into him like a bulldozer... Herschel just looks at her funny.

Also, I have a kitten that is the same age as her puppies would be and I am trying to get their little relationship on video. She thinks Max is her puppy and she will grab him and hold him with her paw and groom him. He loves it! Now he follows his bully mama around everywhere.

On the health front, Fiona's spay went fine. She had her sutures out last Saturday and I dropped her off today for her heartworm treatment. She gets a shot today to kill what is in her bloodstream and a steroid and they will watch her all day to make sure she does ok. She will not need to be on crate rest like the other treatment. We will have her on the slow kill and test every 6 months I think until she is negative. I think she will do fine.

She is still having a bit of discharge so the vet will be checking for an infection. Also, will be looking at her hips (she tends to be wobbly/limp) and checking the progress of her eye ulcer. The ulcer was already on the mend, but looked like it had been neglected for a while before I got her (what a shock). As for the hips, it may just be that she is soooo extremely small on the back end that she is wobbly. No pain that I have noticed and she can run, climb stairs etc.

That's about it I think. I am so lucky to have found her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a great update..... your issue really are common too -- just sibling spats per say. As long as you get to know the triggers and can re-direct, you will be OK.

Banks is terrible with this type of stuff and with her enemy being a 20lb Frenchie we are always on our toes with her. Can't wait to see the video of her with the kitten!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
love hearing updates about the two. hopefully, and fingers crossed, she overcomes all her health issues without any more problems. very glad you found each other :).

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds like things are going well! You are a good mama-all kids have fights, the good thing is that they will stop! Best to you!

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
I am sure Fiona will do well. Overall her health is better than I had expected. I just find it so funny how completely opposite she and Herschel are! When it thunders, Herschel opens an eye and goes right back to sleep, Fiona sits up and gets nervous. When it's raining, Herschel will refuse to even get a drop on him and Fiona will run around and splash (she also has this thing about stomping in the water dishes until all the water is splashed out). When it's morning, Herschel is trying to hide under blankets and continue to sleep and Fiona is bouncing around ready to greet the day! Herschel is the messy eater and Fiona is all dainty... no drooling or missing a crumb for her!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.